Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I knew Mac thermals were bad... but this is just awful.

corrado33

I have an older iMac from 2013 that's on my desk next to my PC. Since it's gotten cold here, I've decided to start doing some @home projects again. However, this year I had this mac (bought it a few months ago.) So I have boinc installed on all of my PCs with TThrottle to prevent things from heating up too much. I figured I'd just look and see how hot the mac would get.

I installed boinc, gave it access to 75% of the CPUs and 75% of the processor time... and the temps immediately spike to 85C. Most importantly, THE FREAKING FAN WAS STILL ON MINIMUM SPEED. WTF. What on earth temperature does apple consider hot enough to increase the fan speed? 

So I decided NOT to run boinc on this computer. Nope, not worth it. I'll keep it running on my PCs with their CPUs and GPUs in the 50s and 60s. 

85c is high but not incredibly so that it is harmful to your pc so apple might just think that 85c is an okay temp to be at

you could look into some software for better fan control but im not sure what to get on a mac since ive never used one

Just now, Happycowdance said:

85c is high but not incredibly so that it is harmful to your pc so apple might just think that 85c is an okay temp to be at

you could look into some software for better fan control but im not sure what to get on a mac since ive never used one

I've already downloaded the software, maxing the fan out doesn't help much.

not sure you can do to much then since macs are sorta infamous for their terrible cooling and awful upgradability

My Mac once got to 100 and is a regular in the 90s. Not even sweating.

70-80c is normal in macs. Maybe its deliberate to deteriorate the component faster so you can buy new macs (haha).

Ryzen 3600 @ 4.5ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | Radeon RX580 | 2x Samsung 16gb c-die 2666 @ 3600mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 9 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

40 minutes ago, corrado33 said:

I've already downloaded the software, maxing the fan out doesn't help much.

where there is almost no heat sink you soon hit the point of diminishing returns when cranking fan speed.
For reference. The new Macbook Pros run into TJ max for a few seconds because their coolers are so bad at dampening the spike and cooling fan ramp up is intentionally delayed by seconds.
85C is not considered "to high" by Intel but that doesn't mean it it will do you hwarware any good and on average, a CPU running at 65C will run much longer than a CPU at 85C. We just don't know if this is in the range of 50 years vs 20 years or 5a vs 8a.
Tbh i think those are actually fine temperatures for an apple machine but then again, I will never spend the amount of money they charge for hardware, broken by design or designed to brake as fast as possible.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/334934-unofficial-ltt-beginners-guide/ (by Minibois) and a few things that will make our community interaction more pleasent:
1. FOLLOW your own topics                                                                                2.Try to QUOTE people so we can read through things easier
3.Use
PCPARTPICKER.COM - easy and most importantly approved here        4.Mark your topics SOLVED if they are                                
Don't change a running system

85C is a pretty okay temp. What you need to worry about is the surrounding components such as the VRM etc. 

Apple makes their Macs as silent as possible. To do this they let it run high temps and low fan speed. 

That's an F in the profile pic