Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Is 500w enough for Overclocked 3770k and gtx 1070?

PaulKolby
 Share

Go to solution Solved by Brooksie359,

Honestly I would upgrade to a higher quality power supply before overclocking. 

So, I was wondering as the title says. I have an EVGA 500 BR power supply, which seems to be good quality. Currently I have a 3770s and a GTX 1070 and is obviously fine, but I don't know if I upgrade to a 3770k and overclock it, if that would be pushing the edge and wouldn't be enough power. 

 

Thanks for any replies. 

My Cheap But Good Rig: I7-3770s, Intel Motherboard (actually made by intel), 16gb DDR3, Nvidia Gtx 1070, 250gb Samsung 850 EVO SSD, 750gb HDD, Evga 500 BR power supply

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

The BR is a super low end PSU. Its temperature rating is 30°C, IIRC. Or was it 25°C? I believe it's EVGA's lowest end DC-DC PSU, so it's probably not quite as bad as many of the other EVGA PSUs. 

The system won't draw that much more power with an overclocked 3770K, so the wattage won't be an issue. 

:)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Brooksie359 said:

Honestly I would upgrade to a higher quality power supply before overclocking. 

lol just saw a killer deal on ebay for a brand new EVGA 750w 80+_Gold Fully Modular Power Supply, so i just ordered one, so now i should never have to worry about my PSU

My Cheap But Good Rig: I7-3770s, Intel Motherboard (actually made by intel), 16gb DDR3, Nvidia Gtx 1070, 250gb Samsung 850 EVO SSD, 750gb HDD, Evga 500 BR power supply

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, seon123 said:

The BR is a super low end PSU. Its temperature rating is 30°C, IIRC. Or was it 25°C? I believe it's EVGA's lowest end DC-DC PSU, so it's probably not quite as bad as many of the other EVGA PSUs. 

The system won't draw that much more power with an overclocked 3770K, so the wattage won't be an issue. 

The BR is rated at 30C, but I think the EVGA W1 units are at 25C... So hard to keep track since EVGA has a billion different SKUs in the super low end range.

 

Edit: it's the EVGA N1 that is rated at 25C, not the W1. https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=100-N1-0550-L1

 

6 minutes ago, PaulKolby said:

lol just saw a killer deal on ebay for a brand new EVGA 750w 80+_Gold Fully Modular Power Supply, so i just ordered one, so now i should never have to worry about my PSU

Which one? G1+? G2? G3? GQ? (Again, EVGA has too many damn lineups)

Edited by Spotty
Clarification so that I do not besmurch the good name of the EVGA W1 /s

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Spotty said:

The BR is rated at 30C, but I think the EVGA W1 units are at 25C... So hard to keep track since EVGA has a billion different SKUs in the super low end range.

 

Which one? G1+? G2? G3? GQ? (Again, EVGA has too many damn lineups)

G1+ is it still good?

My Cheap But Good Rig: I7-3770s, Intel Motherboard (actually made by intel), 16gb DDR3, Nvidia Gtx 1070, 250gb Samsung 850 EVO SSD, 750gb HDD, Evga 500 BR power supply

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, Brooksie359 said:

The g1+ is a bit old but still a good unit. 

Yeah I don't need necessarily the latest and greatest, seemed like a quality unit and its fully modular and it's not like it's used so I thought it was a good idea to snag it up.

My Cheap But Good Rig: I7-3770s, Intel Motherboard (actually made by intel), 16gb DDR3, Nvidia Gtx 1070, 250gb Samsung 850 EVO SSD, 750gb HDD, Evga 500 BR power supply

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, PaulKolby said:

G1+ is it still good?

Yeah it's fine. More than capable of running your system even with whatever crazy overclocks your heart desires [and temperatures allow].

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

The g1+ is a bit old but still a good unit. 

It's very new. It replaces the G1 (because apparently, the G2 and G3 didn't?), and it came out after the G2 and G3. I believe it's the same platform as the GQ, GD and bq! Pure Power 10. 

Not great transient response on the minor rails. 

8 minutes ago, PaulKolby said:

Yeah I don't need necessarily the latest and greatest, seemed like a quality unit and its fully modular and it's not like it's used so I thought it was a good idea to snag it up.

There are more than likely more sensible options available. With a 1070, a good 450W is plenty for overclocking. 

Formula 450W, Whisper M 450W, Straight Power 11 450W, RM550x 2018, RM550x or GX-F550. 

:)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, seon123 said:

It's very new. It replaces the G1 (because apparently, the G2 and G3 didn't?), and it came out after the G2 and G3. I believe it's the same platform as the GQ, GD and bq! Pure Power 10. 

Not great transient response on the minor rails. 

There are more than likely more sensible options available. With a 1070, a good 450W is plenty for overclocking. 

Formula 450W, Whisper M 450W, Straight Power 11 450W, RM550x 2018, RM550x or GX-F550. 

That is a weird naming scheme they got there. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×