Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

No Drives Found in BIOS Asus X555L Windows 10

Go to solution Solved by IoTPanic,

So, when I was taking it apart I found this board that is between the USB I used and the HDD. The connector is tiny and is just crap. Kinda expect better of ASUS but I just put everything back together, being careful to reseat the daughter board sturdily, and shes now happily streaming and scrolling through fb. Turns out it's  a common issue with this model

Hey Guys,

So my girlfriend brought me the Asus X555L I gave her after rebooting from a Windows 10 update (I don't think Windows had anything to do with it, I wouldn't think it had such BIOS access)  and it was in it's BIOS. I flipped through and no drives but the CD/DVD drive were detected. No fear I say with a smile on my face as I plug in my Linux boot drive and... nothing, I can't see any USB drives in the boot menu or listed in the BIOS just like the HDD. I'm kinda stumped on this one as to why both suddenly wouldn't be showing up at the same time.

Thanks in advance

is there a Clear CMOS button (more likely two pins you short?) on the laptop you can use? More likely you do it by removing the BIOS battery in order to clear the BIOS, and see if that changes anything.

Gaming - Ryzen 5600x | 32GB 3200mhz  Vega 56 | 1TB NVME | 500GB NVME

Home Server - Ryzen 2700x | 16GB 3400mhz |  RX 550 | 500GB NVME 11x2TB HDD 

1 minute ago, suchamoneypit said:

is there a Clear CMOS button (more likely two pins you short?) on the laptop you can use? More likely you do it by removing the BIOS battery in order to clear the BIOS, and see if that changes anything.

I have tried opening it multiple times and have not been able to open it. It is a brick. I will grap the watch screwdrivers from work tomorrow and get back to you. Anyone else reading this have a cause?

It is a Winbond 2506FV510 BIOS chip, there is no clock battery or capacitor I can see... I have to say, difficult laptop to open. Does anyone have experience with these BIOS chips?

3 minutes ago, IoTPanic said:

It is a Winbond 2506FV510 BIOS chip, there is no clock battery or capacitor I can see... I have to say, difficult laptop to open. Does anyone have experience with these BIOS chips?

Not what I just said, this thing. This is gonna be a pain

bios-chip-8mb-64m-bit-winbond-25q64-25q64fvsig-spi-flash-rom-empty-hypertronic-1612-20-hypertronic@1.jpg

So, when I was taking it apart I found this board that is between the USB I used and the HDD. The connector is tiny and is just crap. Kinda expect better of ASUS but I just put everything back together, being careful to reseat the daughter board sturdily, and shes now happily streaming and scrolling through fb. Turns out it's  a common issue with this model