Not using a router for a week or so?

handymanshandle

So, I'm thinking about heading to Best Buy and picking up a similar modem to what I was gonna buy from Amazon...

A few months ago I was recommended to buy the ARRIS SURFboard SB6183 which supports speeds up to 686mbps, the one I'm looking at getting at best buy and just using exclusively for the interim until I have a little more money available to me to get a router.

How unadvisable would it be to simply use the modem to get online until some money gets freed up? (I have the money to buy everything, it's just I've applied for a secured credit card and I'm waiting on that money to be withdrawn.)

The one I'd get at best buy is a Netgear CM500-100NAS

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

Are you looking for a modem or a router?

I cannot see the difference between both modem, both supports docsis 3.0 and 686mbps.

So either one will perform the same. And they will not act as a router.

Get the cheapest one.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

7 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

Are you looking for a modem or a router?

I cannot see the difference between both modem, both supports docsis 3.0 and 686mbps.

So either one will perform the same. And they will not act as a router.

Get the cheapest one.

I need both but I can still get online without the router if I plug straight into the modem it's just I know its not recommended

If you have only 1 device it's ok to plug in straight with usb.

Who said it's not recommended?

Just enabled windows firewall and you should be fine.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

25 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

If you have only 1 device it's ok to plug in straight with usb.

from the tone I was getting at least lol

But yeah I'd just be plugging my pc into it for a week or so until some money was freed up and I could go and buy a router

What's wrong with the router anyway?

Have you reset it? Sometimes the configurations got corrupted and can be fixed by resetting.

3 hours ago, pinksnowbirdie said:

So, I'm thinking about heading to Best Buy and picking up a similar modem to what I was gonna buy from Amazon...

A few months ago I was recommended to buy the ARRIS SURFboard SB6183 which supports speeds up to 686mbps, the one I'm looking at getting at best buy and just using exclusively for the interim until I have a little more money available to me to get a router.

How unadvisable would it be to simply use the modem to get online until some money gets freed up? (I have the money to buy everything, it's just I've applied for a secured credit card and I'm waiting on that money to be withdrawn.)

The one I'd get at best buy is a Netgear CM500-100NAS

Honestly I wouldn't do it. You might have Windows firewall, but it isn't known for being the best. I prefer a hardware firewall over a software any day. Then there is he fact your pc will be responding to echo (ping) requests. Port scans will be easier. Also windows will respond to certain actions on certain ports, where as a router would not.

I mean I personally wouldn't take the risk of making any consumer device forward facing.

2 hours ago, SupaKomputa said:

Where is this opinion based from? I am curious why you think a software firewall is enough protection. Cyber Security is done in layers.

8 minutes ago, AngryBeaver said:

Where is this opinion based from? I am curious why you think a software firewall is enough protection. Cyber Security is done in layers.

What's make you think the cheap router firewall is good enough?

Don't be so paranoid, not everyone going to hack you right away.

22 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

I know that a hardware firewall is normally much more effective than a software firewall. Most offer ping ghosting so that any ping requests on your ip look like a device isn't there. There is also the fact that if a port isn't in use it will be closed by default and not respond to request in any way (unless forwarded or opened manually). It also means you have 2 layers of defense and even if they do breach your firewall they will need to again work to breach the software firewall.

There are a lot more ways to attach a consumer version of an OS that is touching the web than there is a router.

If you want to see one major difference. Run a pentesting grade port scanner remotely against your firewall, then run it internally against your computer. See how much information you gain from each. A nice Nessus scan with scripts enabled can pull a LOT more information

5 hours ago, pinksnowbirdie said:

plug straight into the modem it's just I know its not recommended

WHAT

who told you such dumb thing?

unless we're talking about 28.8K modems since ISDN all of the modems have a routing function, "modems" alone don't exist anymore, what we have today are "modem-routers"

on most cases you don't need an extra router at all unless you want to create an isolated subnetwork with a different IP pool and mask inside the base LAN.

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

48 minutes ago, aezakmi said:

WHAT

unless we're talking about 28.8K modems since ISDN all of the modems have a routing function, "modems" alone don't exist anymore, what we have today are "modem-routers"

on most cases you don't need an extra router at all unless you want to create an isolated subnetwork with a different IP pool and mask inside the base LAN.

You are describing a gateway device which offers modem and routing functions. They in fact DO make pure modems for dsl and cable for certain. 

This is a modem only -

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/arris-surfboard-docsis-3-0-cable-modem-black/6290768.p?skuId=6290768&ref=212&loc=1&gclsrc=aw.ds&ds_rl=1266837&ref=212&loc=1&gclid=CjwKCAiArK_fBRABEiwA0gOOc9NUrdHjUoVsJlyqoCw8JPpoVM47NjbbTcoH7mMy8JDTJtCK9jHXVxoCfBYQAvD_BwE

Here is a picture of the back of this modem. So if this was a gateway it would have more than 1 ethernet port. Most have 4 some like the newest comcast 3.1 modems have 2.

I know technically a router allows you to have seperate network and allows the two to communicate while having different subsets. The thing is this doesnt do that. Your directly connected pc will have a IP address that is leased from your ISP. These devices just allow you to convert your data from one medium (ethernet) to another (cable).

20181114_192732.thumb.jpg.54d42045ac79646042dfd0a9e0cd8ffc.jpg

6 hours ago, SupaKomputa said:

What's wrong with the router anyway?

Have you reset it? Sometimes the configurations got corrupted and can be fixed by resetting.

I didn't have a router

5 hours ago, AngryBeaver said:

5 hours ago, SupaKomputa said:

3 hours ago, LinusOnLine said:

It is not exactly super firewalls built in to consumer routers either.

1 hour ago, aezakmi said:

WHAT

Chill everyone lmao

I was able to buy a router too today.

HOWEVER there is a problem, not with the router or modem....

The issue with the coaxial in the house itself.

Something wasn't done right or whatever and the modem and tv boxes can't communicate properly

I also got my TV boxes today :P

Here's what I got.

20181114_155415.jpg

4 minutes ago, pinksnowbirdie said:

Chill everyone lmao

I was able to buy a router too today.

HOWEVER there is a problem, not with the router or modem....

The issue with the coaxial in the house itself.

Something wasn't done right or whatever and the modem and tv boxes can't communicate properly

I also got my TV boxes today :P

Here's what I got.

20181114_155415.jpg

both of these are equivalent to the TP-Link and Arris options I was gonna go with.

2 hours ago, aezakmi said:

modems" alone don't exist anymore

Really? Well Im staring at one right now. If you go with ISP supplied hardware there is about a 98% chance you will get a "Gateway" but stand alone modems are a thing and they are not going anywhere. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

4 hours ago, pinksnowbirdie said:

both of these are equivalent to the TP-Link and Arris options I was gonna go with.

Go with TP Link router, as it has a huge user-base and custom roms development.