(Official?) Battlefield V with RTX benchmark

Zandvliet

Hi all,

Sorry if this is already posted somewhere, but I coulnd't find it.

Apparently some first benchmarks of Battlefield V with RTX has been posted by TechPowerUp.

We began testing with a GeForce RTX 2080 Ti graphics card with GeForce 416.94 WHQL drivers on Windows 10 1809. Our initial test results are shocking. With RTX enabled in the "ultra" setting, frame-rates dropped by close to 50% at 1080p.

It is as we have feared, the performance decrease is pretty dramatic. Hopefully this will be improved in the further with updates but I believe that RT is just too early at the moment. 

These may look horrifying, given that at its highest setting, even an RTX 2080 Ti isn't able to manage 1080p 120 Hz. But all is not lost. DICE added granularity to RTX. You can toggle between off, low, medium, high, and ultra as "degrees" of RTX level of detail, under the "DXR ray-traced reflections quality" setting.

Apprarently there are 4 different settings one can enable but when actually looking at the benchmark results there isn't much of a difference between ultra, high and medium. I would definitely think that this can be improved via updates but time will tell...

xrYUUUhhEbIsk3b8.jpg.7d14ada2d9f1b91669e127025558c639.jpg

Note that the drivers (probably/hopefully) aren't working correctly at the moment.

We are experiencing some instability, where the system will crash, with the screen going black and the GPU fan speed going to 100%.

Source: https://www.techpowerup.com/249557/battlefield-v-with-rtx-initial-tests-performance-halved   

"To the wise, life is a problem; to the fool, a solution" (Marcus Aurelius)

My opinion is still the same. It's neat but we are not there yet. Kinda like how VR started off and now we have pretty decent working games and hardware. Would I invest into RTX cards now? No. Too early to be worth for that  hefty price

Ye sorry but 1080p is ugly when you have experienced 1440p and up. Never gonna buy a €1400 GPU just to go back from 1440p to 1080p lmfao.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

Just now, voiha said:

DRX Medium : 64.5fps
DRX High: 66.4fps
DRX Ultra: 65.3fps

How is this possible ? Am I misunderstanding something ?

images.jpg

Yes, you're misunderstanding it. Decrease quality to Medium so you gain 1-2fps so buttery smooth!

DAC/AMPs:

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

1. This isn't playable at the resolutions people with 2080tis have (1440p, 4k)

2. Honestly that doesn't look any better than normal render technology with reflection.

Current LTT F@H Rank: 90    Score: 2,503,680,659    Stats

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

My main PC (Hybrid Windows 10/Arch Linux):

OS: Arch Linux w/ XFCE DE (VFIO-Patched Kernel) as host OS, windows 10 as guest

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X w/PBO on (6c 12t for host, 6c 12t for guest)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Mobo: Asus X470-F Gaming

RAM: 32GB G-Skill Ripjaws V @ 3200MHz (12GB for host, 20GB for guest)

GPU: Guest: EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ULTRA Host: 2x Radeon HD 8470

PSU: EVGA G2 650W

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

HDD: Guest: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Tempered Glass Side Panel Upgrade

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

unRAID server (Plex, Windows 10 VM, NAS, Duplicati, game servers):

CPU: Ryzen R7 2700x @ Stock

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V + 16GB Hyperx Fury Black @ stock

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA G3 850W

SSD: Samsung 970 evo NVME 250GB, Samsung 860 evo SATA 1TB 

HDDs: 4x HGST Dekstar NAS 4TB @ 7200RPM (3 data, 1 parity)

Case: Sillverstone GD08B

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.

1 minute ago, CTR640 said:

Yes, you're misunderstanding it. Decrease quality to Medium so you gain 1-2fps so buttery smooth!

nonono, you push it to high so you can have 2 fps more because that's how it works apparently

Just now, voiha said:

nonono, you push it to high so you can have 2 fps more because that's how it works apparently

Oh..well uh, then lets buy 2080Ti then! 2080 is for poor plebs!

I'm lost too lol

DAC/AMPs:

12 minutes ago, ZeouLs said:

My opinion is still the same. It's neat but we are not there yet. Kinda like how VR started off and now we have pretty decent working games and hardware. Would I invest into RTX cards now? No. Too early to be worth for that  hefty price

Same goes for me. I think it's really cool but it's at a too early stage at the moment. I do have a RTX 2080, but I didn't get it for the RT.

have a feeling its going to be a while before RTX is something you want for an FPS shooter but for a scenic game it could be great

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

1 minute ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

have a feeling its going to be a while before RTX is something you want for an FPS shooter but for a scenic game it could be great

I agree, my guess it will be at least 5 years. If RT takes flight alltogether.

1440p monitors owners will have a very ugly image when they have to run it on 1080p. That's like 1680x1050 on 1080p monitor, I tried and I got insta-blind. Poor 4K monitors owners. I just can't imagine how nVidia even got the nuts to release RTX cards and asking for absurd prices so you have to run the game 1080p, like wtf??

DAC/AMPs:

11 minutes ago, ZeouLs said:

the more you buy.jpg

You can bark like a dog, but that won't make you a dog.

You can act like someone you're not, but that won't change who you are.

Finished Crysis without a discrete GPU,15 FPS average, and a lot of heart

How I plan my builds -

Spoiler

For me I start with the "There's no way I'm not gonna spend $1,000 on a system."

Followed by the "Wow I need to buy the OS for a $100!?"

Then "Let's start with the 'best budget GPU' and 'best budget CPU' that actually fits what I think is my budget."

Realizing my budget is a lot less, I work my way to "I think these new games will run on a cheap ass CPU."

Then end with "The new parts launching next year is probably gonna be better and faster for the same price so I'll just buy next year."

23 minutes ago, Zandvliet said:

Hi all,

Sorry if this is already posted somewhere, but I coulnd't find it.

Apparently some first benchmarks of Battlefield V with RTX has been posted by TechPowerUp.

It is as we have feared, the performance decrease is pretty dramatic. Hopefully this will be improved in the further with updates but I believe that RT is just too early at the moment. 

Apprarently there are 4 different settings one can enable but when actually looking at the benchmark results there isn't much of a difference between ultra, high and medium. I would definitely think that this can be improved via updates but time will tell...

xrYUUUhhEbIsk3b8.jpg.7d14ada2d9f1b91669e127025558c639.jpg

Note that the drivers (probably/hopefully) aren't working correctly at the moment.

Source: https://www.techpowerup.com/249557/battlefield-v-with-rtx-initial-tests-performance-halved   

Given MS still hasn't got raytracing support out the door and BFV's DX12 mode is known to be buggy performance wise ATM there's nothing remotely useful to these results. Wait till MS releases the full DX12 update, DICE sort out the DX12 mode and NVIDIA gets driver to support both out the door.

This reminds me of the original GeForce 256 card and how all its hardware geometry tricks were going to be so amazing.  They were, but it took a while before many games really made use of what it could do.

1 minute ago, Zandvliet said:

I agree, my guess it will be at least 5 years. If RT takes flight alltogether.

it probably will to some degree, its a way for graphics technology to move forward and we have gotten pretty far already. AMD are going to have a ray trayising implementation soon enough and they said they would bring it all the way down the stack but i think in generall GPUs will have to get more powerfull before it will take off. 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

7 minutes ago, sazrocks said:

2. Honestly that doesn't look any better than normal render technology with reflection. 

That's because its really not that great of an implementation. There's a reason that the Metro:Exodus DXR demo had a hard time even maintaining 40fps.

I mean, 60 fps isnt the end all and be all.

Could be better, but it is the first propper rt game and rt and pt is pretty neat. Even if this is hybrid rendering

11 minutes ago, voiha said:

DRX Medium : 64.5fps
DRX High: 66.4fps
DRX Ultra: 65.3fps

How is this possible ? Am I misunderstanding something ?

IDK, but it appears that it is bottlenecked by the GPU portion that handles ray tracing, which also points to the hardware being too new and needs work.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc