What SSD for an artist (lots of saving)

Stottart

Hey all....as an artist I use a lot of 2d and 3d programs where Im constantly saving files.  What should I look for in an SSD or HDD so that it lasts longer since Im writing to the disk so often?

Thanks

2 minutes ago, Stottart said:

Hey all....as an artist I use a lot of 2d and 3d programs where Im constantly saving files.  What should I look for in an SSD or HDD so that it lasts longer since Im writing to the disk so often?

Thanks

Go with samsung SSDs,look for TBW if its 150(for samsung ssds it is,there is also 300TBW)

150TBW= around 40GB per day,if you are doing more than that go with hdd(but it'll be very slow for your usecase).

Modern SSDs really don't have a "lifetime". With load balancing they last a really.... really long time. (Longer than you'll ever have that PC)

Just make sure the data is backed up to a HDD and use the SSD as normal. 

But if you want more info.

https://www.compuram.de/blog/en/the-life-span-of-a-ssd-how-long-does-it-last-and-what-can-be-done-to-take-care/

SSDs with a higher "write cycle" count will technically last "longer" with high loads of data. Of course this depends on brand and capacity and blah blah blah

8 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

How much data are you saving a day? My guess is that endurance won't be near a issue, basically every modern ssd can take 100gb+ a day.

And even so, even with a 120 Gb ssd (worst case scenerio), at 100 gb per day and 3000ish write cycles, that's a bit less than 10 years. 

It's worth noting that having a higher capacity drive (and leaving a good bit of it empty) will allow it to last longer. SSDs do this cool thing where they don't "re use" the same spot on the SSD unless they have to. So if you save 1 file 10 billion times, it won't wear out one spot on that drive. Say the drive has 10 "spots" (hypothetically). Your file takes up 1 slot. You save your file, it gets saved in slot 1. Then you do some editing and change a lot of things, then the changes will be saved to slot 2, do some more changes and they will be saved to slot 3 , again... saved to 4... etc (while slots 2 and 3 are read as "empty" they still TECHNICALLY contain the data that was there). This is called "load balancing" and it makes sure one spot on the SSD doesn't get used up. Unless, of course, you use the SSD almost at full capacity and force it to use the same "spots" over and over again. 

Thanks everyone for your insight...that was super helpful.

Im just not going to worry about it too much then :)

Im planning a new build so Ill probably get a 500GB m.2 Samsung (something like this:  https://pcpartpicker.com/product/P4ZFf7/samsung-970-evo-500gb-m2-2280-solid-state-drive-mz-v7e500bw  )  for the  boot drive and a more basic 1TB ssd as a secondary, and another HDD for backing up files. 

30 minutes ago, Stottart said:

Thanks everyone for your insight...that was super helpful.

Im just not going to worry about it too much then :)

Im planning a new build so Ill probably get a 500GB m.2 Samsung (something like this:  https://pcpartpicker.com/product/P4ZFf7/samsung-970-evo-500gb-m2-2280-solid-state-drive-mz-v7e500bw  )  for the  boot drive and a more basic 1TB ssd as a secondary, and another HDD for backing up files. 

And make a good backup system and routine. Especially if it's for work. Even losing my hobby stuff makes me feel real irritated. XD

4 hours ago, Stottart said:

...and another HDD for backing up files.

Even backup drives can fail so having two backup drives is even better. Also, drive failure is not the only way to lose data. If you have an onsite backup drive and an offsite backup drive (and frequently swap them out so the offsite backup drive stays up to date as possible), you will have every reasonable contingency covered.

Also, stay away from any automatic backup schemes. For a backup drive to be a true backup, it must be kept powered down and disconnected from the computer except while updating the backup.

I recommend Samsung SSDs. For around 500GB, there isn't that much difference in price between the Pro and the EVO so I would go for the Pro.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!