Liquid Freezer 120 vs h80i gt/v2

Just curious is anyone has experience with both of these units? If so, which would you recommend and why?

Will be for an OC 1700x. No room for a 240. May possibly be able to modify top of case for a 240 though. Will know for sure in a couple hours.

Never rub another man's rhubarb!

4.2225Ghz 1700x on air

cpu-z validation

5 minutes ago, Compassionate Homicide said:

Just curious is anyone has experience with both of these units? If so, which would you recommend and why?

I recommend an air cooler for that budget. becouse those little aio's are only useful in mini-itx builds where you can't fit a big radiator

Just now, LukeSavenije said:

I recommend an air cooler for that budget. becouse those little aio's are only useful in mini-itx builds where you can't fit a big radiator

If by any chance you're seen my other threads, I sadly don't seem to have room for larger than a 120mm air cooler. Since I'm lapping my current cooler tonight, and installing new case fans, I'll be able to get width and depth measurements. Height is limited to about 162mm.

4.2225Ghz 1700x on air

cpu-z validation

2 minutes ago, Compassionate Homicide said:

If by any chance you're seen my other threads, I sadly don't seem to have room for larger than a 120mm air cooler. The largest option i know for sure will fit is the new H7 Plus. Since I'm lapping my current cooler tonight, and installing new case fans, I'll be able to get width and depth measurements. Height is limited to about 162mm.

The case has sentimental value, but I am prepared to replace it to use a 240mm rad if I absolutely need to.

I'm willing to waste money to try a 120 aio if it means finding out it won't work.

4.2225Ghz 1700x on air

cpu-z validation

2 minutes ago, Compassionate Homicide said:

If by any chance you're seen my other threads, I sadly don't seem to have room for larger than a 120mm air cooler. Since I'm lapping my current cooler tonight, and installing new case fans, I'll be able to get width and depth measurements. Height is limited to about 162mm.

I didn't, but not a problem. do you have a pcpartpicker list for me with the other parts?

1 minute ago, LukeSavenije said:

I didn't, but not a problem. do you have a pcpartpicker list for me with the other parts?

I'll list other parts, but for "compatibility mode" on pcpp, majority of air coolers are noted as "can not confirm case compatibility".

Raidmaxx Smilodon

Thermaltake tr2 850 psu

MSI B450 Tomahawk

GTX 1060

PCIe 2x SATA card

120x38mm Delta, rear exhaust

120x25 Delta, front intake

2x80 Noctua, 1 each side panel

2x burners

1 SSD

1 WD blue 1TB HDD

2x WD Gold 2TB

A problem is a "mounting bar" across a side panel that holds an 80mm fan and intended to "help hold" the GPU in place. I can remove it for more width in an air cooler, but I'll lose the 80mm fan on that side.

4.2225Ghz 1700x on air

cpu-z validation

12 minutes ago, Compassionate Homicide said:

162mm is enough for an air cooler

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

34 minutes ago, r2724r16 said:

162mm is enough for an air cooler

Problems with width clearance and interference.

4.2225Ghz 1700x on air

cpu-z validation

31 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/yHNv6h/arctic-freezer-33-esports-one-blackwhite-cpu-cooler-acfre00043a

well, it's cheap, cools well and isn't water cooling. say hello to this freezing cold air cooler

I'll have to look up comparisons to other coolers of similar size. I remember hearing good things about it and totally forgot. I think it was the dual fan version I meant to look up.

I'm still open to hearing about experiences from freezer 120 owners.

4.2225Ghz 1700x on air

cpu-z validation

I could fit a 140 air cooler, if lower than 162mm. But, I don't think it will help me reach 4.1.

I lapped my hyper 212 led last night and installed the new fans. To my surprise, my die temp dropped more than I thought. Max temp dropped 7 degrees and 8 hour average temp went down almost 8.

67c vs 74c max.

I went to 4ghz, max temp just under 75c. Went to 4.1ghz, which required a significant bump in Vcore to about 1.35. max temp was getting close to 79c at 6mins into testing.

So I'm not sure a bigger cooler or a 120 aio will do any good. There's absolutely no way I can mod the case to fit a 240 aio.  I might be able to get a good deal on an h80i gt, so I might try that with the Delta 120 mounted to the rad.

4.2225Ghz 1700x on air

cpu-z validation

Here's before and after temps. Considerable difference. Still debating a 120 AIO or dual 140mm fan cooler.

Before new cooling.jpg

New 3.9 temps.jpg

4.2225Ghz 1700x on air

cpu-z validation

I'm torn. I keep seeing test results putting both of these 120 AIOs just ahead of the couple of 140mm air coolers.

4.2225Ghz 1700x on air

cpu-z validation