Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

All USB ports not working!

TowerCG

okay so little warning before he and I'm using text-to-talk to write this so grammar might be a little bit off let me know if anything seems confusing.

Summary: none of the USB ports on my computer are working even though they are still providing power to whatever I plugged in. I believe this is a driver issue but I'm not completely sure as they do also not work in the Bios. I tried to use the keyboard during the buy a setup but it's not working at all and I have those two plugs to plug in a keyboard and mouse but does also don't work due to a lightning storm which happened last year and fried those out.in addition I don't have a CD-ROM that can install a new drivers with as my computer doesn't support that.

So yesterday I was having a trouble with the usb devices coming unplugged. My USB devices weren't actually getting unplugged but rather just disconnecting. I left it go and I figured the drivers would just update themselves but suddenly all the drivers went out at once. I got a message saying that the devices weren't being recognized and then realized that my keyboard and mouse weren't working and neither was anything else. I rebooted my computer immediately hoping to fix the problem, but that didn't do anything. I did a hard reboot thinking that maybe windows would install the drivers on boot up but it didn't work. I couldn't get into the BIOS because I needed to hit F2 in order to boot up, but my keyboard was not operational. I removed the CMOS battery in order to clear the BIOS and any settings which might be causing this not to work, and I booted it back up after putting the CMOS battery back in. This didn't seem to help anything until a few minutes later while I was trying to play with the plugs and I noticed that the keyboard was starting to work again I had gotten two Ports back which were the only two working previously. A lightning storm a year ago took out two of the four ports including the green and purple ports used to just plug in a mouse and keyboard. I never replaced the motherboard as is quite expensive one, it supports two Xeon CPUs. I did notice the power was flickering several times yesterday so I don't know if that had anything to do with it going out. anyways after I remove the CMOS battery after about 5 to 10 minutes I noticed that the keyboard turned back on and I was able to boot up and also plug my mouse in. I unplug my keyboard and mouse and plugged in a USB hub and plugged everything into that and everything was Operation except for my Wi-Fi. My Wi-Fi adapter often has trouble if it's not plugged in whenever I boot up so I knew I had to reboot for it to work. Up until that point though everything seems to be working alright. after I reboot it everything went back to crap and nothing was working again. I remove the CMOS battery again but to no avail. I tried doing a hard reboot and leaving it for a few hours but that didn't seem to work either. I rebooted several times since as well but nothing seems to be working at this point. If anyone has any idea how to fix this or what's going on with that really appreciate any info I can get. I'm currently looking to spend about $300 to get a new motherboard to fix it or about $1,200 to just do the upgrades I planned on doing previously.

Thanks

Just a little hard to read everything since it is one, big paragraph but considering that it was dictated, we can overlook that.  But to get to your problem, have you just tried resetting the BIOS?  Turn the machine off and unplug from the wall.  After that, open the case and remove the battery from the mother board.  After removing the battery, press the on/off switch on the case about a half dozen times.  This will discharge the caps on the motherboard.

When the above steps are complete, reinsert the battery, hook the machine to the wall power and turn it on.  It should default to the BIOS when booting.  Upon entering the BIOS, just go with the default settings unless you have to do something to it to recognize the hard-drive or SSD as the boot drive.  Other than that, don't change anything.  We just want to find out if it will boot.

If the machine does boot, great, give the USB connections a try and let us know here in the forum what happens.  We will be looking for your follow-up posts.

Remove the CMOS, check if your front panels are connected.

With Great Power, Comes a Great Electricity Bill

Main

Setup: Intel core i5-8400 (OC'd), MSI Z-370-A Pro, Crucial Ballistix 8GB, Be Quiet! Pure Slim, Cooler Master Masterbox Lite 5 RGB, TP-Link Wifi Adapter, ASRock RX580, Artic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste, Logitech G105, Logitech M310, Razer Sphex V2 (Mat), EVGA 500W 80+ Silver, 1TB WD Blue, 240gb Kingston Digital

I have a USB mouse and keyboard.

And I've been resetting the CMOS with no success. it makes me press f2 to run setup or F1 to continue, but since I don't have an operational keyboard because USB ports not working I can't do either of those things.

front panel USB ports on the problem as the back USB ports aren't working either, and only one of them ever worked anyhow. Since the lightning storm I've had one operational in the front and one operational in the back.

The ports might have gotten shorted out from a surge or something. Try talking to the motherboard manufacturer and try to get it RMA'd

Main

Setup: Intel core i5-8400 (OC'd), MSI Z-370-A Pro, Crucial Ballistix 8GB, Be Quiet! Pure Slim, Cooler Master Masterbox Lite 5 RGB, TP-Link Wifi Adapter, ASRock RX580, Artic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste, Logitech G105, Logitech M310, Razer Sphex V2 (Mat), EVGA 500W 80+ Silver, 1TB WD Blue, 240gb Kingston Digital

1 hour ago, 6thOntheLeft said:

The ports might have gotten shorted out from a surge or something. Try talking to the motherboard manufacturer and try to get it RMA'd

Got the Mobo a few years go off eBay since they're no longer being produced. It was new\unused when I got it, but it's an older board. Long story short, ASRock will not likely help.

oh, then it looks like you either need to buy a new motherboard by spending your own money.

Main