Windows 10 October Update 2018 - Re-Released

GoodBytes

I have been using Windows OS software since Windows 95 yet I have never seen such a critical piece of software face so many problems and vulnerabilities as I have with Windows 10. This is a company with nearly an unlimited budget and decades worth of experience and talent (one would think), yet we are facing issues that even the slightest QC adviser would detect.

If it was non-essential software you could let it slide somewhat, but system's today are tightly bound to many aspects of this modern day OS' software protocols, and any vulnerability of downtime could seriously affect the end user. I'm beginning to honestly believe they have some very amateur, or at least intern-like, programmers writing this software.

While I understand there is inevitable issues missed in the QC process, this is just laughable at this point as every update is having serious stability issues in one way or another. 

3 hours ago, cj09beira said:

that data isn't anywhere near enough (we dont know how many users are in which version, newer versions had less time, we dont know if the amount of people reporting the problems are nearly constant or increasing/decreasing over time) to say that windows is getting more stable, and considering how windows 10 had much bigger issues than other releases, that should have been caught easily i don't buy it

The graph is from upgrade process. It is the number of people that had issues after upgrading to the new version of Windows. But I agree, I don't have all the info on this data

2 hours ago, Delicieuxz said:

Does the re-release of 1809 have the issues that are mentioned in this post already fixed so that they'll be there in a clean install?:

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2018/09/18/announcing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-17763/#4IhtZdljfs82VoqB.97

Zip issue has been fixed, the people that did upgrade to 1809 already have the fix via an update delivered. So I would assume this one has it built-in, or is an update right-after available after you update. Same for the fixes mentioned for those in teh Slow and Release Preview ring, that is now avail to all.

4 hours ago, Speed Weed said:

Microsoft can't count like Gaben ?

Microsoft doesn’t now its already the middle of No-Shave November 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

9 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

I don't think you know how the Insider program works.

Oh, I do.

It's just that I'm not talking about issues from the insider program. The things I listed were in the official, "stable" release of the OS. I also didn't list any of the things I know they have fixed, like the two task manager bugs and the file deletion bug.

As I showed earlier, Microsoft knew about these issues before they decided to release the "stable" version too, and they decided to release it anyway. So I'm wondering if they have fixed these issues or did what they did last time and just release it anyway.

8 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

You are funny. With ChromeOS, OSX, iOS, all attacking the PC market, you think Microsoft should stick to the old model? Look how great that worked out for Microsoft with its Mobile phone OS. Heck, even many Linux based OS distros are doing repaid update release. The old days are gone.

The difference is that those companies aren't releasing half-ass messes which breaks a ton of things.

You can find a few issues here and there with their releases, but not anywhere near as much as Windows 10.

And no, if anything I think Microsoft's utter incompetence with this rolling release is driving people away from the platform rather than making people stick with it.

A bad rolling release is worse than infrequent updates. Also, like I said earlier, who actually asked for this? I certainly didn't, and I doubt many people did either. Companies certainly didn't, since Microsoft are bending over backwards to support older releases specifically because companies don't want these frequent updates.

Yes, consumers ask for this. And even then it is not fast enough, and hence why you have so millions of people on the Insider Fast Ring program.

Citation on that.

I think most people would rather wait and get stable releases, over half-assed and broken messes like we get now.

You can point to people on the fast ring and go "see? people are so eager to get updates!" and I can point to the people and companies who disable updates and go "see? people don't want updates this quickly".

It wans't pushed to everyone this build. only those who forced check the update or use Windows Upgrade Assistance tool (or Media creation Tool).

I like how clicking "check for updates" is apparently now classified as "force checking".

Way to blame the victims.

Meh.. better than what is available.

What did you mean by that?

If you don't understand, doesn't mean it is a mess.

Not even Microsoft understands it, because it is such a mess.

Let's face it. Windows is not well written or well engineered.

Seems to be working great:

e8ad43dc4add91b97bf105f192da63ea.png

Number of reports is fairly irrelevant because it does not take into account the severity of the reports, nor does it take into account things like what happened here where they released a horrendously broken update and then quickly pulled it.

Besides, I don't see how that is relevant to what I said. My point was that Microsoft knew about issues but didn't act upon them. My point was that the feedback hub is essentially a suggestion box linked to a paper shredder.

Welcome to the world of software. Every software has always a mass back log of issues, and there is always a decision being made at the end: "Is it good enough, where it will affect only few consumers to release it?" I can guaranty you that any issue and bug you notice from a large software, the company behind it (or the open source community) already knows everything about it. But they are more important things that takes place, and so, it is lower in the priority list. Sometimes the judgement is not performed. Probably, and most likely this bug they saw that only very very few people faced, could not easily or could not reproduce at all due to lack of details in the reports being made, and so they saw are a rare corner case that can wait... ended up affecting a bit more people than anticipated.

No, welcome to the world of Microsoft.

The problem here, as described by the disgruntled Microsoft employee I referenced earlier (can't find his post right now but I'll look for it) is that anything which wasn't the highest severity rating was ignored by the management at Microsoft. For crying out loud they didn't even think users files being deleted was severe enough to deal with. let that sink in. They prioritized getting the release on time over the security of users' files.

Microsoft did not even have a severity rating for user reported issues until very recently. Meanwhile if you go on Firefox' bug tracker you can get information such as the name and email of the individual developer working on an issue, as well as complete transparency of what is being done.

You can downplay this or pretend like this is just how the world works all you want, but the fact of the matter is that even Microsoft has realized that they have fucked up, and taken some (probably very minor and surface level) precautions to make sure it hopefully won't happen again. Hopefully they take feedback more seriously from now on, because it truly has been a fucking joke and the feedback hub might as well not have existed.

8 hours ago, Blademaster91 said:

makes it seem like a unfinished beta mess.

That pretty much describes the entirety of Windows 10 if you ask me. An unfinished beta mess.

6 hours ago, cartdog said:

I have been using Windows OS software since Windows 95 yet I have never seen such a critical piece of software face so many problems and vulnerabilities as I have with Windows 10. This is a company with nearly an unlimited budget and decades worth of experience and talent (one would think), yet we are facing issues that even the slightest QC adviser would detect.

If it was non-essential software you could let it slide somewhat, but system's today are tightly bound to many aspects of this modern day OS' software protocols, and any vulnerability of downtime could seriously affect the end user. I'm beginning to honestly believe they have some very amateur, or at least intern-like, programmers writing this software. 

While I understand there is inevitable issues missed in the QC process, this is just laughable at this point as every update is having serious stability issues in one way or another. 

It's not that they are missing these issues. Issues like file deletion was reported to Microsoft weeks before the official rollout began. Issues like task manager not working properly were known weeks before the rollout too. It's just that they don't care if they release buggy software. Not having a delay is more important than the software working in their eyes.

Check out my previous post if you want evidence that these things were known and Microsoft decided to release it anyway.

12 hours ago, mynameisjuan said:

Bugs will get through regardless of how many testers there are. Only so much you can test. 

I'd call deleting files in the users documents folder a little more than a bug.

I removed One Drive from my PC cause I got fed up of EVERYTHING defaulting to One Drive over my local computer. I'm pretty sure that's the only reason i made it through the original release of this update without losing files. Didn't stop 1809 from reinstalling One Drive on my computer though.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

14 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Didn't stop 1809 from reinstalling One Drive on my computer though.

And this is the second reason why im still on 7/Kubuntu. I dont have the time to redo everything twice a year.....

3 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

And this is the second reason why im still on 7/Kubuntu. I dont have the time to redo everything twice a year.....

Paradoxicly, the only computer that I have which doesn't require a complete re-install of Windows after each major update is a crappy laptop which never worked properly under 8 or 8.1

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

f2zEO4u.png

wish me luck

Edit: That wasn't it I guess, i'll wait for them to push it out

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

How about those that installed the 1809 already before the update went down? Do they receive a cumulative update or do they just receive something else?

Desktops

- The specifications of my almighty machine:

MB: MSI Z370-A Pro || CPU: Intel Core i3 8350K 4.00 GHz || RAM: 20GB DDR4  || GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX1070 || Storage: 1TB HDD & 250GB HDD  & 128GB x2 SSD || OS: Windows 10 Pro & Ubuntu 21.04

@GoodBytes are you sure the media creation tool downloads the latest ISO? the download section still has 2 variants as of today

image.png.40964ae17a5e1a1b1f958f9f0ecd0c9d.png

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

19 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Point

16 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Counterpoint

14 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

You are funny.

CounterCounterpoint

5 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Oh, I do.

CounterCounterCounterpoint

When your parents are fighting

Image result for popcorn gif

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

31 minutes ago, Master Delta Chief said:

How about those that installed the 1809 already before the update went down? Do they receive a cumulative update or do they just receive something else?

Yes

11 minutes ago, Rohith_Kumar_Sp said:

@GoodBytes are you sure the media creation tool downloads the latest ISO? the download section still has 2 variants as of today

image.png.40964ae17a5e1a1b1f958f9f0ecd0c9d.png

Windows 10 October 2018 is the latest version.. the one that was just released (re-released).

Also, if you download Media Creation Tool, you'll get: MediaCreationTool1809.exe

1809 is the October 2018 update version.

6 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

I'd call deleting files in the users documents folder a little more than a bug.

Whats more than a bug? A bug is a bug no matter the severity. 

This was a bad issue but it didnt affect everyone who update and I guarantee most people dont even know one drive exist. I fell under all the reasons why it with both of my PCs and both never lost files with the original 1809 update. 

But my point is even if they hire a staff of 200-300+ for active testing, its still too small. We have beta programs but people are too worried about them so dont test and then bitch because there wasnt enough testers. Them hiring people wont solve a thing, we need real world test.

There are literally trillions of combinations of software and hardware that cannot all be taken account for in each update. This isnt 2001, where the amount of hardware and software was scaled way down. 

18 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Microsoft felt rebellious. Down with the system!

Desktop: [Processor: Intel Skylake i5 6600K (stock for now)][HSF: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO]
[PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 B2][Case: Corsair Carbide Series Air 540 Silver]
[Motherboard: AsRock Z170 Extreme4][RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-2666]
[Video: eVGA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB 03G-P4-6160-KR]
[Hard Drives: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB]
Notebook: [HP Envy x360 15z][Ryzen 7 2700U w/ Radeon RX Vega 10][8GB RAM][256GB m.2 nVME SSD]

Gaming:[SteamID: STEAM_0:0:1792244 - "[TC]CreepingDeath"]