Windows 10 October Update 2018 - Re-Released

GoodBytes

Windows 10 October Update (version 1809) released this past October but quickly pulled by Microsoft after reports of users loosing their data loss after the update took place. Microsoft has offered free data recovery support and service to those affected via a toll-free number.

Microsoft has patched the issues related to this, and have released the update to Insiders for testing, and carefully monitoring any data loss and reports. After approximately a month later, and no reports of data loss, the company officially is re-releasing the update to all.

John Cable, Microsoft's Director of Program Management, Windows Servicing and Delivery said the following:

[W]e have taken time to closely monitor feedback and diagnostic data from our Windows Insiders and from the millions of devices on the Windows 10 October Update, and we have no further evidence of data loss. Based on this data, today we are beginning the re-release of the October Update by making it available via media and to advanced users who seek to manually check for updates.

Source: https://www.windowscentral.com/microsoft-begins-re-rollout-windows-10-october-2018-update

This version of Windows includes a number of improvements and new features such as Dark Theme File Explorer. You can read more about what is new here:

As usual, the update is released in waves. So it may take time before you can upgrade.

And as I always recommend:

• Make sure your security software (if any) is fully updated. This includes anti-virus (beside Windows built-in solution) - Better yet, uninstall them, restart and now upgrade if you want to ensure 0 issue related to this.
  • Make sure you update ALL your drivers before upgrading, this includes: Chipset, SATA controller, audio, printer, input/capture card, etc.
  • Never use registry cleaner (you are looking at problem already, maybe consider clean-install. Same if you got virus/malware infection deployed on the system, as your security software only removes the infection, if it modified system files, it can't fix system files)
  • And of course, backup your stuff, if you have no backup already.

Happy upgrading

12 minutes ago, Trixanity said:

Maybe it's time to slow the release cadence and rehire some if not all of the internal testers they fired. This experiment has failed.

Microsoft has testers. For the longest time Microsoft does contractual work with companies who hires testers. Apple who didn't change anything is now facing similar issues as Microsoft with updates that 'causes all sorts of bugs to appear and even brick Apple Watches. OS is a very complex piece of software. The issue is that the model that Microsoft was using wasn't working well, and needs to be modified or changed.

But if you want to blame someone... blame smartphones, primarily Google. They are the one that showed a 3 year dev cycle for handful of features is crap, and we should have continuous features all for free.

3 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Microsoft has testers. For the longest time Microsoft does contractual work with companies who hires testers. Apple who didn't change anything is now facing similar issues as Microsoft with updates that 'causes all sorts of bugs to appear and even brick Apple Watches. OS is a very complex piece of software. The issue is that the model that Microsoft was using wasn't working well, and needs to be modified or changed.

I agree very silly issues that have arisen, even though both Apple and Microsoft have internal and public testers, Microsoft with their staff and Insider Program, and Apple with their staff and Developer, plus Beta program for all their devices. Very strange how these large bugs don't get picked up - even though the releases are preceded by at least a month of public testing. 

1 minute ago, RorzNZ said:

I agree very silly issues that have arisen, even though both Apple and Microsoft have internal and public testers, Microsoft with their staff and Insider Program, and Apple with their staff and Developer, plus Beta program for all their devices. Very strange how these large bugs don't get picked up - even though the releases are preceded by at least a month of public testing. 

The consumer are all unpaid beta testers for business since Microsoft's huge layoff 4 years ago. That's why huge bugs get through.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Just now, Dabombinable said:

The consumer are all unpaid beta testers for business since Microsoft's huge layoff 4 years ago. That's why huge bugs get through.

There are no staff testing it, and its just the insider program? Thats rediculous. If those testers are like me whenever I get one, I usually ignore the emails or just not send any feedback whatsoever. Dam. 

13 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

I think the issue is that upper manager wants fixed release dates.. why? I don't know... they rushed release this October release, it shocked everyone as Slow Ring and Release Preview ring didn't get the latest set of builds, just to make the October release date. This has resulted in what we have now. If they took time, and be flexible in release dates, then probably the issue would not be there as it would have been better identified and fixed.

The issue of upper managed wants fixed date release is a big issue in software developments for all large companies. 'cause companies needs to measure performance, and performance of employees is measure by doing things in time. While it may work for bureaucracy, it doesn't work for software development... and sadly changing this mentality is VERY hard. And it is even harder for contracted work "The date of software release for our client was set to this date, he had to pick this date because else client would go with our competitor as they want it as soon as possible, and we need the work/money...." Sadly, as most people don't understand software let alone software development, hard dates can't be set. People understand delays in civil engineers which are nearly always.. but software it isn't sadly. So rush rush rush model is taken, and you have burn outs, and you have poor quality software hitting the consumer hands.

12 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

There are no staff testing it, and its just the insider program? Thats rediculous. If those testers are like me whenever I get one, I usually ignore the emails or just not send any feedback whatsoever. Dam. 

You do have staff testing it. Microsoft has a QA team, and has QA contracted companies that works for Microsoft.

10 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

You do have staff testing it. Microsoft has a QA team, and has QA contracted companies that works for Microsoft.

That's not many people though. It was well over ten thousand  that were let go by Microsoft.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

How to force it?

“I like being alone. I have control over my own shit. Therefore, in order to win me over, your presence has to feel better than my solitude. You're not competing with another person, you are competing with my comfort zones.”  - portfolio - twitter - instagram - youtube

43 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

Bugs will get through regardless of how many testers there are. Only so much you can test. 

1 hour ago, Bouzoo said:

At this point I only care about Task Manager fix. It baffles me how that even made it in release. 

What's wrong with the Task Manager?

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

18 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows10

Select "Update now" button. It will download the Windows Update Assistance, run it, and it will force you in getting the update.

Only has an "upgrade now" or "create install media" options for me, and from what I know upgrade is for getting Win7-8 to Win10, not updating Win10... Or am I wrong?

“I like being alone. I have control over my own shit. Therefore, in order to win me over, your presence has to feel better than my solitude. You're not competing with another person, you are competing with my comfort zones.”  - portfolio - twitter - instagram - youtube

6 minutes ago, ElfenSky said:

Only has an "upgrade now" or "create install media" options for me, and from what I know upgrade is for getting Win7-8 to Win10, not updating Win10... Or am I wrong?

Sorry, I meant "Upgrade now".

You are correct on upgrading Windows 7, 8 and 8.1 to the latest version of Windows 10. But also, Windows 10 whatever version to the latest as well. When a new version of Windows 10 is released, it is delivers as a full OS upgrade.

If you prefer, you can see it as if we are on Windows 16 (6 version from Windows 10 initial release)

4 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

If you prefer, you can see it as if we are on Windows 16 (6 version from Windows 10)

I think it would make more sense to call it Windows 10.x .

Like this:

10.0 - v1507

10.1 - v1511

10.2 - v1607

10.3 - v1703

10.4 - v1709

10.5 - v1803

10.6 - v1809

But ofc that's too logical and makes too much sense. :P /s

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Is this Windows version stable and problem free? I already make a disk backup of my rig yesterday, but I don't want to waste my time to install something that might brick my system. It will take 20 minutes for a full disk restore from external USB 3 backup drive. 

7 minutes ago, Speed Weed said:

Is this Windows version stable and problem free? I already make a disk backup of my rig yesterday, but I don't want to waste my time to install something that might brick my system. It will take 20 minutes for a full disk restore from external USB 3 backup drive. 

If you are not comfortable upgrading yet, you are perhaps better wait until your wave comes.

Just now, GoodBytes said:

So you better wait until your wave comes.

I don't see no wave here. 

* Dark Theme File Explorer

I'm sold, where/how do I get it? Now that's "stable" enough.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

30 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

* Dark Theme File Explorer

I'm sold, where/how do I get it? Now that's "stable" enough.

Yeah, pretty much the sole reason I tried forcing.

1 hour ago, GoodBytes said:

Sorry, I meant "Upgrade now".

You are correct on upgrading Windows 7, 8 and 8.1 to the latest version of Windows 10. But also, Windows 10 whatever version to the latest as well. When a new version of Windows 10 is released, it is delivers as a full OS upgrade.

If you prefer, you can see it as if we are on Windows 16 (6 version from Windows 10 initial release)

well, shit, I guess I'll just wait for the regular windows update to show up for my device then.

image.png.a2de00ce0dec708786890b4a044ae319.png

2 hours ago, Trixanity said:

Maybe it's time to slow the release cadence and rehire some if not all of the internal testers they fired. This experiment has failed.

2 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

But if you want to blame someone... blame smartphones, primarily Google. They are the one that showed a 3 year dev cycle for handful of features is crap, and we should have continuous features all for free.

I'm hardly arguing against you but I want a stable windows OS that I'm in control of, not new features. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch