Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Can a hard reset of my PC help game performance?

FatJay

I have been having problems with my PC for a month or so now. I bought my PC pre-build from a PC building company. I never had any problems with it untill like a month ago, where my games would stutter frequently. It doesn't matter which game i play or how demanding the game is, my game would drop to single digits every 10-20 seconds or so. I havent played a game in over a week because of that. Apart from the stuttering, the games dont run slow or anything, it just stutters, badly.

I have always used the same settings: 

1440p 60hz V-SYNC on

Drivers are up to date

SPECS: I7-8700K-1070TI-16GB DDR4 @2133mhz

The company i bought the PC from overclocked the CPU for me, considering i know jack shit about PC's i didnt want to do it myself, so if i reset my PC will my overclock also dissapear? (apoligies if that sounds retarded)

So yea the problem just arrived out of the blue, i asked many people, noone knew what the problem is. Untill someone told me to reset my PC. Is it worth trying?

Thanks in advance.

when you say "reset" do you mean turn it off then on, or reinstalling the OS?

if the OC was done in the BIOS then either of these will not affect it. if it was software, the  reinstalling the OS will lose it

🌲🌲🌲

Judge the product by its own merits, not by the Company that created it.

13 minutes ago, FatJay said:

I have been having problems with my PC for a month or so now. I bought my PC pre-build from a PC building company. I never had any problems with it untill like a month ago, where my games would stutter frequently. It doesn't matter which game i play or how demanding the game is, my game would drop to single digits every 10-20 seconds or so. I havent played a game in over a week because of that. Apart from the stuttering, the games dont run slow or anything, it just stutters, badly.

I have always used the same settings: 

1440p 60hz V-SYNC on

Drivers are up to date

SPECS: I7-8700K-1070TI-16GB DDR4 @2133mhz

The company i bought the PC from overclocked the CPU for me, considering i know jack shit about PC's i didnt want to do it myself, so if i reset my PC will my overclock also dissapear? (apoligies if that sounds retarded)

So yea the problem just arrived out of the blue, i asked many people, noone knew what the problem is. Untill someone told me to reset my PC. Is it worth trying?

Thanks in advance.

if you want to reset the oc to run in stock if done in bios just change it to auto from bios and no need to reinstall windows. try checking if its software aswell.

you can try to load setup defaults in your bios, and see if resetting all will support this.

But stuttering can come from many things, it could be a software issue, maybe an overheating GPU, that is trying to survive by downclocking.

if the OC was bad, stuttering would not be the issue, unless the CPU was HOT, and hitting thermal limit. try downloading some monitoring software, and check if the CPU core is jumping, or the GPU core is jumping.

if not, then a reinstall might be the way to go..

if they do, then there might be a cooler issue... i have unfortunatly seen many prebuilt systems, with really poor cable management, and cables sticking into fans, after the system had be moved a few times, this made the system throttle.

32 minutes ago, FatJay said:

where my games would stutter frequently.

As @RasmusDC mentions, heat is the first thing to check.

Get MSI Afterburner and monitor your CPU & GPU temps.

No you should not reset your PC by reinstalling windows. You should figure out whats wrong with it and fix it so the problem doesnt come back.

The first thing to do is scan for malware. I wrote a guide(someone sticky it please?) on how to clean, troubleshoot and repair a windows pc from malware. Its always the first thing to check since it can cause issues that seem like failing hardware(BSOD, stutter, lag).

Use Malwarebytes and if you think windows is  broken use the DISM and SFC commands in windows. I wrote how to in the thread.

Also use process explorer to see whats using resources.

Next do a CLEAN install of your Nvidia drivers. The clean install is in the custom installation menu.

https://www.geforce.com/drivers

If none of that works, you need to start checking for failing/improperly configured hardware and overheating causing throttling.