Dell XPS 8700 Case Swap?

Twiggy1995

I've decided that after upgrading PSU, adding a second HDD, upgrading the processor, and upgrading the video card, for better air flow I need to swap the case of my Dell XPS 8700.

I use CD's and DVD's so I need a case which will allow for that. I also mainly need another case because the stock Dell one has bad airflow. I found this one:

https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811353056&Description=case&cm_re=case-_-11-353-056-_-Product

I like the look, and seems to have all I need, front and back fans too for better airflow.

However, I heard the XPS 8700 has a proprietary pin out, but I already found a diagram for that. I also heard that something about the I/O shield is not standard and it is not really removable? But I am not sure.

Does anyone else have experience doing such a swap on such a machine? I will be getting the same tech that replaced my processor to do the case swap for me, but I need to know if in the right hands, it can be done.

That case is pretty crap, it probably won't have better airflow just judging by the XPS 8700 case.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Nothing about the XPS 8700's connector pinouts look especially proprietary or special. The 24-pin and 4-pin look completely standard. You will have to find a diagram to do the front panel header, but I'm sure the tech you take it to will be able to figure it out. The power supply in the XPS 8700 is also a standard ATX unit, so it should go right in as well. At the most, cable extensions may be required to do clean cable routing runs, but it can certainly be done. There's a guy on YouTube who took video of his front panel header swap into a different case.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

5 minutes ago, Twiggy1995 said:

@fasauceome,

How about this one? It looks better to me, front, back, and side fan. Side fan will surely help the video card out, correct?

https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811353057&Description=case&cm_re=case-_-11-353-057-_-Product

Well it's certainly not as ugly, and you are correct about the side fan. I used to use a case of a similar layout actually, and while it's not the best kind it gets the job done.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

In my experience, dell motherboards don't... quite... fit in ATX cases. The standoffs are always in the slightly wrong position, which means you may have issues getting the gpu slot to line up with the slot in the case. 

@@fasauceome,

So the front panel of the current case, has two usb 3.0 ports, and 2 usb 2.0 ports, but the case I just mentioned has only only 1 usb 3.0 port, and 2 usb 2.0 ports. Does it really matter, or is it good as long as there is a usb 2.0 and usb 3.0 header?

Am I over thinking this?

2 hours ago, Twiggy1995 said:

So the front panel of the current case, has two usb 3.0 ports, and 2 usb 2.0 ports, but the case I just mentioned has only only 1 usb 3.0 port, and 2 usb 2.0 ports. Does it really matter, or is it good as long as there is a usb 2.0 and usb 3.0 header?

It doesnt matter. The USB 3.0 internal header usually has either one or two USB 3.0 front I/O ports. AS long as you're okay with only having one usb 3.0 at the front, there's no issue.

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

@fasauceome
The reason I am thinking of doing it so soon is because at times while gaming the machine freezes and a buzzing noise comes from the speakers. This has happened in some of the tomb raider games, but only lasted a second or two and then unfroze and everything was okay. However when it happens playing fry cry 5 it either freezes for good or at least a long time because it takes long enough that I just restart the computer.

I have heard this could be either because of the ram having problems, or the GPU getting too hot at times. I ran two ram utilities (windows memory diagnostics and memtest86+) and neither found any issues with the ram, so I think it must the GPU getting too hot at times (rare - at most once a day) and of course the poor airflow is suspect.

Nice to know this case should work and that I don't have to care too much about the number and types of ports cases come with.

Before I spend any $$$ though, I will game today and tomorrow with the case cover off, and see if that provides enough airflow for it not to ever get too hot. If so, then I will know for sure it's the airflow and that changing into a better case should help.

25 minutes ago, Twiggy1995 said:

I think it must the GPU getting too hot at times

You know, there's software to detect GPU temps. You should try HWMonitor

Primary PC:

3 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

You know, there's software to detect GPU temps. You should try HWMonitor

Thank you, so reference wise, what is a "too hot" temp for  GPU, above 85 like a processor or is it different for a GPU?

1 minute ago, Twiggy1995 said:

Thank you, so reference wise, what is a "too hot" temp for  GPU, above 85 like a processor or is it different for a GPU?

A GPU won't be having issues at 85. 90 and above is what to look out for.

Primary PC:

17 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

A GPU won't be having issues at 85. 90 and above is what to look out for.

Thanks, is there anyway to have it show me the GPU temp in the corner of the screen or something so I can see it while gaming?

I just played some far cry 5, and when I minimized it and just opened HWmonitor now, it's at like 40C for the GPU temp. I think seeing it while the game is running at full capacity would help more.

1 minute ago, Twiggy1995 said:

Thanks, is there anyway to have it show me the GPU temp in the corner of the screen or something so I can see it while gaming?

I just played some far cry 5, and when I minimized it and just opened HWmonitor now, it's at like 40C for the GPU temp. I think seeing it while the game is running at full capacity would help more.

I usually just tab out, as you can see there's a record of the max temps and current temps. You'll be able to tell what it is.

Primary PC:

1 minute ago, fasauceome said:

I usually just tab out, as you can see there's a record of the max temps and current temps. You'll be able to tell what it is.

ah yes, I forgot about alt + tab, I don't use shortcuts very much. Thanks. Max temp says 50c right now. Gonna have to check a little later in then.

24 minutes ago, Twiggy1995 said:

There are some software's like MSI afterburner and EVGA XOC which have built in On Screen Displays that show temps, clock speed and memory speeds. 

Image result for msi afterburner osd

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

well, @fasauceome, it seems the GPU is good, after a mission with shooting, and explosions, the gpu is at max 60C, but the processor is at max 83C, so it seems the processor may getting too hot may be the issue. I am guessing a case with better airflow should help that too?

2 minutes ago, Twiggy1995 said:

well, @fasauceome, it seems the GPU is good, after a mission with shooting, and explosions, the gpu is at max 60C, but the processor is at max 83C, so it seems the processor may getting too hot may be the issue. I am guessing a case with better airflow should help that too?

I think you probably have the Intel stock cooler equipped, am I correct? Or whatever Dell uses as stock. It's possible a cheap case should help, but you'd be better off with a bit of a nicer one like the cooler master master box 5, or something in the master box series. They are very good for the price, especially with a discount.

Primary PC:

Just now, fasauceome said:

I think you probably have the Intel stock cooler equipped, am I correct? Or whatever Dell uses as stock. It's possible a cheap case should help, but you'd be better off with a bit of a nicer one like the cooler master master box 5, or something in the master box series. They are very good for the price, especially with a discount.

I have the AR06 cooler you recommended installed. So try to look for a better case? I will check your recommendations out, see how much they cost.

5 minutes ago, Twiggy1995 said:

I have the AR06 cooler you recommended installed. So try to look for a better case? I will check your recommendations out, see how much they cost.

Oh wow I didn't recognize the username. Now here's something I realized, the graphics card that comes with the XPS is a blower card but did you install a non blower? It probably spits out heat onto the CPU. The heat pipes of the AR06 do a good job of cooling so yeah, a more breathable case will help you. The PC I used one on had 2 front fans, not just 1, so I think that will be better than a side fan.

Primary PC:

35 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

Oh wow I didn't recognize the username. Now here's something I realized, the graphics card that comes with the XPS is a blower card but did you install a non blower? It probably spits out heat onto the CPU. The heat pipes of the AR06 do a good job of cooling so yeah, a more breathable case will help you. The PC I used one on had 2 front fans, not just 1, so I think that will be better than a side fan.

Machine came with GTX 745, I got a GTX 1060 6GB so yes blower to non-blower (if you mean sucky card to good card), the 745 did have a small fan, but the 1060 has two regular size fans. However, I am pretty sure the fans are facing the case cover, not the CPU.

Well that MasterBox 5 is significantly above my budget, but what are your thoughts on this one? While above my budget, it's not that much above, may be willing to sacrifice a trip to mcodnalds or two if it is indeed good.

https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119329&Description=cooler master case&cm_re=cooler_master_case-_-11-119-329-_-Product

Also, I've got MSI afterburner displaying CPU and GPU temp on screen now. Haven't seen the GPU temp go above 60 yet (usually high 50's) so the GPU seems to be doing fine, but I have seen the CPU temp at times reach 79 (not higher yet), so it does seem that at rare times it may be asked to process so much that it gets a little too hot.

9 minutes ago, Twiggy1995 said:

the 745 did have a small fan, but the 1060 has two regular size fans

From the images it looked like it exhausted the hot air put the back, which would be a blower model.

Primary PC:

11 minutes ago, Twiggy1995 said:

Well that MasterBox 5 is significantly above my budget, but what are your thoughts on this one

I can't actually tell where the air intake is supposed to be, but if it has 2 front fan mounts then it should be good.

Primary PC: