Inexperienced gamer looking for build recommendations

Currently I have this setup. This was also the first computer build I did without getting recommendations from someone who knows their stuff.

CPU: Intel I7-6700

CPU Cooler: Corsair Closed-loop water cooler (Could not find the model name)

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 (Rev 1.0)

Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2133 16GB (2x) 32GB total

Video Card: NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1070

Power Supply: EVGA Supernova 550w Gold 80+

Case: NZXT S340 ATX Mid Tower

My reason for upgrading is due to the ever more CPU/GPU hungry games coming out, on top of the ever evolving complexity of the 3D models I work with.

I have been trying to plan a 1,000-1,500 rebuild to replace my CPU/Cooler, Motherboard, and possibly my Graphics card, Ram, and power supply. I really only know the bare bones basics about current computer hardware, and would love any tips/recommendations you guys can give me.

I had been looking at doing a Intel I7 9700K build or a AMD Ryzen 7 2700x build, what would you guys recommend for a gaming rig.

it's not worth upgrading CPU yet

maybe a GPU upgrade, but the RTX line is overpriced for the performance it gives.

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Well honestly what you have now is great. It should have no problem gaming at 1080p or 1440p. Is there a reason you want to upgrade, like actually needing a more powerful CPU because the tasks you have are too demanding for what you have now? Cause otherwise I would just wait until Zen 2 or maybe even later, depending on how your system is holding up.

My Build, v2.1 --- CPU: i7-8700K @ 5.2GHz/1.288v || MoBo: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming || RAM: 4x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 2666 14-14-14-33 || Cooler: Custom Loop || GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black, on water || PSU: EVGA G2 850W || Case: Corsair 450D || SSD: 850 Evo 250GB, Intel 660p 2TB || Storage: WD Blue 2TB || G502 & Glorious PCGR Fully Custom 80% Keyboard || MX34VQ, PG278Q, PB278Q

Audio --- Headphones: Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX || Amp: Schiit Audio Magni 3 || DAC: Schiit Audio Modi 3 || Mic: Blue Yeti

[Under Construction]

My Truck --- 2002 F-350 7.3 Powerstroke || 6-speed

My Car --- 2006 Mustang GT || 5-speed || BBK LTs, O/R X, MBRP Cat-back || BBK Lowering Springs, LCAs || 2007 GT500 wheels w/ 245s/285s

The Experiment --- CPU: i5-3570K @ 4.0 GHz || MoBo: Asus P8Z77-V LK || RAM: 16GB Corsair 1600 4x4 || Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo || GPUs: Asus GTX 750 Ti, || PSU: Corsair TX750M Gold || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || SSD: 840 Pro 128GB || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

R.I.P. Asus X99-A motherboard, April 2016 - October 2018, may you rest in peace. 5820K, if I ever buy you a new board, it'll be a good one.

3 minutes ago, Cereal5 said:

Well honestly what you have now is great. It should have no problem gaming at 1080p or 1440p. Is there a reason you want to upgrade, like actually needing a more powerful CPU because the tasks you have are too demanding for what you have now? Cause otherwise I would just wait until Zen 2 or maybe even later, depending on how your system is holding up.

I have to agree. no point upgrading for the sake of upgrading. 

If you really have need for lots of threads save up for a threadripper, maybe look at getting a used 1080ti if you can get them cheap but I would definitely wait till q2 next year at least!

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Your current build is pretty good as it is, are you looking to doing a completely new build or would you rather upgrade your current one?

If you really want to upgrade i'd wait a bit, although here are my recommendations if you want to upgrade anyways here's my recommendations:

- Upgrade the CPU to a i7 8700 or i7 8700k (k means unlocked cpu multiplier, can be overclocked)

- Upgrade the GPU to either a 1080ti or a 2080ti (If needed, a 1080ti would be better for the value atm, although not a massive increase over your 1070 for most games, maybe a good increase for your 3D model production work)

Everything else sounds like it's already as good as you need it, keep in mind though that if you do decide to upgrade to an 8th Gen CPU, you'll need a new motherboard.

Again, i think your current build should hold well for the next few years but these are just some options if you want to consider them.

The i7 9700k is not cost effective, so unless you're willing to invest a lot into the CPU then I recommend the Ryzen 7. Is this $100 to $1500 USD?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

It struggles on some of the complex models on solid works and fusion360, but it runs most games great. From what you guys say so far it seems like a better plan to wait and see what 2019 has to offer, or until my hardware is actually struggling with everything rather than just high-poly workloads. Thanks.

1 hour ago, R.I.P MySpacePlanes said:

snip

Do you actually feel any issues with your rig? Stuttering, dropped frames etc...

Rest In Peace my old signature...                  September 11th 2018 ~ December 26th 2018

When loading large 3D models, or large sets of components, yes. But in normal operation its generally fine. From what the guys above recommended I think I am going to wait and see what next year brings with the new AMD products.

49 minutes ago, R.I.P MySpacePlanes said:

When loading large 3D models

This might have do with where the assets are stored. SSD or HDD.

Rest In Peace my old signature...                  September 11th 2018 ~ December 26th 2018