GPU usage drops to 0% frequently.

Khader87

Hi, 

I have the below specs 

i7 4790

Sapphire rx580 8gb special edition @1430mhz

16GB Ram 1600mhz

Thermaltake smart se 730w

My gpu usage drops to zero very frequantly, and is extremely volatile, rarely stays @ 100%, im having sluggish gaming as well, the screen doesnt seem smooth, i have let say minor fps drops, for example i might be gettings 80fps on far cry 5 and then when i turn my mouse the other frams drops to 50!

I know that frams drops but not 25 30 fps in just a scene!! 

All set to high performance, no thermal throttle, temps are fine, all up to date, benchmark results are good as well. 

When i overclock my gpu to lets say 1470 or more i get zero performance increase, and i get even more sluggish gaming, lower frams!! 

Can this due to my psu which i know its bad? 

is it plugged into the correct pcie slot?

If you judge a fish based on its ability to climb trees it will go its whole life thinking its a failure.

1 minute ago, Matty2048 said:

is it plugged into the correct pcie slot?

Ofcourse i only have one pcie slot. 

All games or just Far Cry, specific scenes? What happens in benchmarks? How long have you had the GPU, has it always done this or is it new? aaannd.... What's wrong with your PSU (besides the actual unit itself ? )?

7 hours ago, nick11682 said:

All games or just Far Cry, specific scenes? What happens in benchmarks? How long have you had the GPU, has it always done this or is it new? aaannd.... What's wrong with your PSU (besides the actual unit itself ? )?

Yes mostly all games, i get high scores in benchmark nonissues, its new card 2 months old, can my PSU be the problem? 

Amm. It drops to 0% when, when gaming or what? High fps drops are normal in games where scenary changes much. Like going from water to forest or grass views. As for OC, more sluggish performance is caused by not stable overclock. You have to test that, change power limit etc. Have you dine that? ? would be weird if its psu as 730W is way more than 580 needs. 

Sounds like a CPU bottleneck... but need more data first.

Post some Windows System manager usage graphs, or use a benchmarking graph program (EVGA for example do one).

You can then see if the CPU or HDD hits 100%, and the GPU hits zero because it's frame limited or whatever.

26 minutes ago, TechyBen said:

Sounds like a CPU bottleneck... but need more data first.

Post some Windows System manager usage graphs, or use a benchmarking graph program (EVGA for example do one).

You can then see if the CPU or HDD hits 100%, and the GPU hits zero because it's frame limited or whatever.

IMG_20181113_172258.jpg

IMG_20181113_172252_1.jpg

What HDD/SSD do you have? In that screen you are getting 75fps. What FPS are you expecting?

24 minutes ago, TechyBen said:

What HDD/SSD do you have? In that screen you are getting 75fps. What FPS are you expecting?

2 SSDs, no HDD. System on Kingston and Game on SP500. 

Yes 75 FPS as its the screen limit with freesync. 

You will have to check specs then when you hit the stuttering. Use some monitoring software. Does Voltage drop, does SSD spike (could be full/need a TRIM etc)... does the CPU + GPU go idle (So Win 10 scheduling error). Those kind of things.