Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Good Reference Headphones Recommendations

Vizzaral

I am thinking the M40X, but unsure. I currently have the M50X, and they're decent at best. They're easily the best cans I have ever owned, and I loved them when I bought them. But recently, I've come to realise how uncomfortable they are, and that the audio quality isn't anywhere near clear enough to reference audio. My headphone past has been Turtle Beach X12, Cloud II, and the M50X.

Thanks, Vizz.

Depends on your budget. I think massdrop has the Sennheiser HD 6XXs on sale rn ($200 US), and they’re both baskcally the HD 650s which are ~$350. There’s also the HD 700 for like ~$450 or so. I like sennheiser, clearly. I game on my HD 6XXs, but I’m also a music afficianado so they suit my needs nicely. They’re not quite as comfortable as my age old Turtle Beach X12 headset, I could wear those things for literally 6+ hours without adjusting them once. 

My Build, v2.1 --- CPU: i7-8700K @ 5.2GHz/1.288v || MoBo: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming || RAM: 4x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 2666 14-14-14-33 || Cooler: Custom Loop || GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black, on water || PSU: EVGA G2 850W || Case: Corsair 450D || SSD: 850 Evo 250GB, Intel 660p 2TB || Storage: WD Blue 2TB || G502 & Glorious PCGR Fully Custom 80% Keyboard || MX34VQ, PG278Q, PB278Q

Audio --- Headphones: Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX || Amp: Schiit Audio Magni 3 || DAC: Schiit Audio Modi 3 || Mic: Blue Yeti

[Under Construction]

My Truck --- 2002 F-350 7.3 Powerstroke || 6-speed

My Car --- 2006 Mustang GT || 5-speed || BBK LTs, O/R X, MBRP Cat-back || BBK Lowering Springs, LCAs || 2007 GT500 wheels w/ 245s/285s

The Experiment --- CPU: i5-3570K @ 4.0 GHz || MoBo: Asus P8Z77-V LK || RAM: 16GB Corsair 1600 4x4 || Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo || GPUs: Asus GTX 750 Ti, || PSU: Corsair TX750M Gold || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || SSD: 840 Pro 128GB || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

R.I.P. Asus X99-A motherboard, April 2016 - October 2018, may you rest in peace. 5820K, if I ever buy you a new board, it'll be a good one.

42 minutes ago, Cereal5 said:

Depends on your budget. I think massdrop has the Sennheiser HD 6XXs on sale rn ($200 US), and they’re both baskcally the HD 650s which are ~$350. There’s also the HD 700 for like ~$450 or so. I like sennheiser, clearly. I game on my HD 6XXs, but I’m also a music afficianado so they suit my needs nicely. They’re not quite as comfortable as my age old Turtle Beach X12 headset, I could wear those things for literally 6+ hours without adjusting them once. 

Although Sennheiser are definitely great cans, they're more for consumption and aren't reference tuned.

I don't know how you feel about IEMs, Etymotic Research's ER4 or Grados are great for reference listening at not so high a price, but your comfort may vary.  For traditional over ear headphones it's gonna get expensive fast.

Was in a rush when I posted this topic, so lemme add a few things.

1. I'm in the Australian market.

2. I'm trying to get into Piano, and plan to transcribe full songs to piano.

3. I'm also a gamer, listen to a lot of music, watch a lot of anime, so I'm thinking of keeping a 2nd pair (probs my M50X, thinking of getting the Sony WH-1000XM3) for consumption.

4. My budget is about $250-$300 AUD, but willing to spend a bit more if it makes a huge difference.

9 hours ago, Firewrath9 said:

What use? Gaming, Audio production, listening to music etc.

9 hours ago, Cereal5 said:

3 hours ago, kilgore_T said:

i use AKG 702s and 712s for music, i dont know what i would do without them

Thanks for the recommendation. MKBHD did a nice review, so they're on my watchlist. Definitely on my list of potential buys.

The 6xx and the 58x aren't "reference cans" no. They do sound excellent for consumtion and do sound fantastic for that purpouse. I also happened to pick up a pair of Hifiman he4xx which I actually dislike for consumption but they do reveal a lot of things in the music. Their bass is actually linear and they do sound pretty comparable to my edc3 which are also very neutral. One thing that may interest you is that I've found that planar magnetics like the he4xx seem to make string instruments (piano included) come alive. You can actually hear the entirety of the string being plucked and all of the little nuances which can be very revealing. So not a bad place to start but sony makes the mdr7506 which are legendarily neutral.

DT880 is a great reference headphone. The tonal balance is very good and it’s really comfortable as well.

It should be around $300 in jaben AU if you live in melbourne