Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

WD Gold 10TB or Seagate BarraCuda Pro 10TB?

MrEWhite

I'm looking for a new hard drive due to my 3TB one filling up too quick for my liking. I've narrowed it down to the WD Gold 10TB (due to the Black only having a 6TB option), and the Seagate BarraCuda Pro 10TB. Which one should I get?

2 minutes ago, MrEWhite said:

I'm looking for a new hard drive due to my 3TB one filling up too quick for my liking. I've narrowed it down to the WD Gold 10TB (due to the Black only having a 6TB option), and the Seagate BarraCuda Pro 10TB. Which one should I get?

If you assume all hard drives will fail at a moment's notice, and you have a solid backup plan, then it doesn't matter which one you get.

Personally I'm a die-hard seagate fan, have been for decades,

So rise up, all ye lost ones, as one, we'll claw the clouds

I'd just buy more 3-4TB drives because they have the highest GB per $ ratio, but just for these two (objectively) they are equally good. I did lose multiple Seagate drives in months though so I am more subjectively against Seagate.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: 1TB HP EX920 PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172), 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

5 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

I'd just buy more 3-4TB drives because they have the highest GB per $ ratio, but just for these two (objectively) they are equally good. I did lose multiple Seagate drives in months though so I am more subjectively against Seagate.

I'm actually using Optane, so I'm limited to one drive here.

9 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

What are you using it for? Id probably get one of those easystore 10tb drives as there a great value at 180usd. 

Can only buy on Newegg currently, so no Easystores. I use it for gaming and general storage.

1 minute ago, MrEWhite said:

I'm actually using Optane, so I'm limited to one drive here.

Why use optane? Just get a normal ssd and set up tiering in software. Much more flexable and you can mix and match hdds and ssds.

Can only buy on Newegg atm. I use it for gaming and general storage.

Id just get a ironwolf, its cheaper and basically the same speed.

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

Why use optane? Just get a normal ssd and set up tiering in software. Much more flexable and you can mix and match hdds and ssds.

Id just get a ironwolf, its cheaper and basically the same speed.

I already have the Optane, and Ironwolf in general isn't as reliable as Barracuda Pros.

I already have the Optane, and Ironwolf in general isn't as reliable as Barracuda Pros.

Where do you have reliability data?

You can use the optane drives with storage spaces tiering. Just get a few like 6 or 8tb drives. The optane drives are just nvme drives and can be used by any program for caching.

I ended up removing the Optane drive and going for two 6TB WD Blacks.