Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Slow included wifi (want wired)

HarrisonCassidy

So, my apartment came with included wifi.  On my floor there is a network room, splitting the internet into four different wifi signals with different names and passwords. In my quadrant there are probably 4 or 5 units that share the wifi I am connected with (the router being just outside my door). The wifi is horribly inconsistent, likely depending on how many people are using it I am sure. At best I have gotten over 100mb/s (rare) when standing directly under it or just inside my door. Just testing it now I got a speed of ~9. From my door to the remainder of my apartment is a windy hall. Because of this I get typically one third (currently ~3) of the speed I standing by the door. My desktop is situated in a rather unfortunate corner (only good place it’ll fit) where the wifi is even a little worse.

Any suggestions? I’d rather not need to just pay for an additional internet provider. Does anyone know if large apartment complexes might even bother listening to my complaints?

My girlfriend and I picked up a to-link 2.4/5ghz wifi extender when we moved in (as our Phillips hue needed an Ethernet port to work and we have none in our apartment) but the wifi from that is no better and even less reliable at times.

Other things I have considered is adding a wifi splitter to the ubiquity router (only an input on it) and slip a cable between my doorframe, string it along my ceiling and to my desktop (my gf will hate me) and hope nobody notices.

Another option may be adding a networking kit in the networking room, if the networking room is on the same electrical as me. Also, with that I’d need to hope nobody looks at the networking switch often enough to find it and take it away.

any suggestions would be appreciated!

At the very least it’s worth talking to your apartment people, you might be able to get on a list for work done and get a wire through the wall. A lot of times there is a port somewhere in the wall though that you can plug into. I’d imagine you’d have looked for that already, but it’s possible its behind some big piece of furniture. 

My Build, v2.1 --- CPU: i7-8700K @ 5.2GHz/1.288v || MoBo: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming || RAM: 4x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 2666 14-14-14-33 || Cooler: Custom Loop || GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black, on water || PSU: EVGA G2 850W || Case: Corsair 450D || SSD: 850 Evo 250GB, Intel 660p 2TB || Storage: WD Blue 2TB || G502 & Glorious PCGR Fully Custom 80% Keyboard || MX34VQ, PG278Q, PB278Q

Audio --- Headphones: Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX || Amp: Schiit Audio Magni 3 || DAC: Schiit Audio Modi 3 || Mic: Blue Yeti

[Under Construction]

My Truck --- 2002 F-350 7.3 Powerstroke || 6-speed

My Car --- 2006 Mustang GT || 5-speed || BBK LTs, O/R X, MBRP Cat-back || BBK Lowering Springs, LCAs || 2007 GT500 wheels w/ 245s/285s

The Experiment --- CPU: i5-3570K @ 4.0 GHz || MoBo: Asus P8Z77-V LK || RAM: 16GB Corsair 1600 4x4 || Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo || GPUs: Asus GTX 750 Ti, || PSU: Corsair TX750M Gold || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || SSD: 840 Pro 128GB || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

R.I.P. Asus X99-A motherboard, April 2016 - October 2018, may you rest in peace. 5820K, if I ever buy you a new board, it'll be a good one.

Apartment was not furnished when I moved in so no chance it’s behind something. Just 2 phone jack

52 minutes ago, HarrisonCassidy said:

So, my apartment came with included wifi.  On my floor there is a network room, splitting the internet into four different wifi signals with different names and passwords. In my quadrant there are probably 4 or 5 units that share the wifi I am connected with (the router being just outside my door). The wifi is horribly inconsistent, likely depending on how many people are using it I am sure. At best I have gotten over 100mb/s (rare) when standing directly under it or just inside my door. Just testing it now I got a speed of ~9. From my door to the remainder of my apartment is a windy hall. Because of this I get typically one third (currently ~3) of the speed I standing by the door. My desktop is situated in a rather unfortunate corner (only good place it’ll fit) where the wifi is even a little worse.

Any suggestions? I’d rather not need to just pay for an additional internet provider. Does anyone know if large apartment complexes might even bother listening to my complaints?

My girlfriend and I picked up a to-link 2.4/5ghz wifi extender when we moved in (as our Phillips hue needed an Ethernet port to work and we have none in our apartment) but the wifi from that is no better and even less reliable at times.

Other things I have considered is adding a wifi splitter to the ubiquity router (only an input on it) and slip a cable between my doorframe, string it along my ceiling and to my desktop (my gf will hate me) and hope nobody notices.

Another option may be adding a networking kit in the networking room, if the networking room is on the same electrical as me. Also, with that I’d need to hope nobody looks at the networking switch often enough to find it and take it away.

any suggestions would be appreciated!

The issue is you need your own ISP. Because your connected to a public network. As far as getting an Ethernet port is concerned you can look for a wireless bridge. Some routers will have this option as well or a router with DDWRT. Basically the device connects to the WiFi and its ports are used to provide Ethernet to devices with no WiFi capability. But my concern is your on public WiFi. So, someone else could gain access to the Phillips Hue or your computer if you have file sharing setup. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

11 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

The issue is you need your own ISP. Because your connected to a public network. As far as getting an Ethernet port is concerned you can look for a wireless bridge. Some routers will have this option as well or a router with DDWRT. Basically the device connects to the WiFi and its ports are used to provide Ethernet to devices with no WiFi capability. But my concern is your on public WiFi. So, someone else could gain access to the Phillips Hue or your computer if you have file sharing setup. 

I do not have file sharing enabled. I have a wifi card on my desktop so I can use wifi, just the current arrangement is unacceptably slow

Complain about your slow wifi and suggest getting a wire in your apartment.

Then you can connect a switch and a router and you got a network kinda of yourself.

13 hours ago, HarrisonCassidy said:

just the current arrangement is unacceptably slow

Then pay for your own ISP. The fact is you dont know what service the apartment has, plus you also have to think of how many units the internet is shared too and how many devices each person has. You want better internet, then pony up and pay for it yourself. 

6 hours ago, Donut417 said:

Then pay for your own ISP. The fact is you dont know what service the apartment has, plus you also have to think of how many units the internet is shared too and how many devices each person has. You want better internet, then pony up and pay for it yourself. 

“Any suggestions? I’d rather not need to just pay for an additional internet provider.”

Thanks

19 minutes ago, HarrisonCassidy said:

“Any suggestions? I’d rather not need to just pay for an additional internet provider.”

Thanks

What your not under standing is this. You got X number of residents + what like lets say 4 to 5 devices per person. You have no clue what plan the landlord has for internet. The pipe can only fit so much traffic. Because as it stands the current internet setup could be overloaded.  So if you want faster internet than what you have, your only real option is to get your own.