Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

16GB to 32GB of RAM a worthy upgrade?

I'm a huge multitask-er. I have 2 monitors but run 6 windows of applications on them, a little over 50 tabs of Chrome, run blender, premiere pro, and sometimes games in the background. I only have 54 background tasks on task manager but I see my Memory usage up to 64% without playing games, rendering in blender or premiere pro. I only have 16GB of DDR4-2400MHz on a 8700k. 

So should I upgrade to 32GB or 64GB or would it make no difference?

you're not running out of ram right now, and so it would not be worth it to upgrade ram, maybe in the future when you do start hitting the page file, but not now because ram is expensive

it'll only slow down when it runs out of ram, not approaching to run out of ram, or having high ram usage.

most ram usage in windows is actually windows just caching things into the ram, if you go into the users tab and then look under your micros oft account email, you'll see your true ram usage from you, and not anything related to windows and it's caching.

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

6 minutes ago, themctipers said:

you're not running out of ram right now, and so it would not be worth it to upgrade ram, maybe in the future when you do start hitting the page file, but not now because ram is expensive

it'll only slow down when it runs out of ram, not approaching to run out of ram, or having high ram usage.

most ram usage in windows is actually windows just caching things into the ram, if you go into the users tab and then look under your micros oft account email, you'll see your true ram usage from you, and not anything related to windows and it's caching.

Well the 64% of RAM usage is when I'm not actually doing anything when everything's running in the background. RAM does go up to 100% when I play a game or render stuff. Sometimes even when I'm just drawing a lot of vertices in Blender.

3 minutes ago, IsaacThePooper said:

Well the 68% of RAM usage is when I'm not actually doing anything when everything's running in the background. RAM does go up to 100% when I play a game or render stuff. Sometimes even when I'm just drawing a lot of vertices in Blender.

then it's worth it to get 32GB

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

10 minutes ago, IsaacThePooper said:

I have 2 monitors but run 6 windows of applications on them, a little over 50 tabs of Chrome, run blender, premiere pro, and sometimes games in the background.

Then 32GB of RAM makes sense for you. DDR4 RAM prices are still insane, but I guess you NEED to upgrade if these are your workloads. 

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

It depends on what you're doing and heavy multi-tasking is definitely a good reason to go for 32. Just as a dumb but somewhat relevant story, I've gotten minecraft to use 20GB on an amplified world with shaders and 64 Chunk render distance. At that point my R7 became the bottleneck as it's several gigahertz and some LN2 away from actually making that situation playable.

1 minute ago, TrueMegaManiac said:

It depends on what you're doing and heavy multi-tasking is definitely a good reason to go for 32. Just as a dumb but somewhat relevant story, I've gotten minecraft to use 20GB on an amplified world with shaders and 64 Chunk render distance. At that point my R7 became the bottleneck as it's several gigahertz and some LN2 away from actually making that situation playable.

Did you read my post?

33 minutes ago, IsaacThePooper said:

I'm a huge multitask-er. I have 2 monitors but run 6 windows of applications on them, a little over 50 tabs of Chrome, run blender, premiere pro, and sometimes games in the background. I only have 54 background tasks on task manager but I see my Memory usage up to 64% without playing games, rendering in blender or premiere pro. I only have 16GB of DDR4-2400MHz on a 8700k. 

So should I upgrade to 32GB or 64GB or would it make no difference?

Honestly I'd argue no unless you're doing heavy rendering regularly; RAM only affects performance when you run out and need more. No games and such leaves you at 64% usage? That still leaves you with roughly 6GB of RAM unused; most games will at their peak use 6-7GB so you're fine in gaming you'll hit 100% usage a bit and maybe miss out on a few FPS but not much.  As for Rendering in Blender and Premiere you're probably losing a bit of performance but realistically if you actually care about your rendering you should be closing most of your other background tasks (Like 50 Tabs of chrome).

So I'd say the upgrade to 24, 32, or 64GB of RAM could be worth it... if you care about gaining like 5 more fps in games, or your render times being a couple minutes shorter; and absolutely cannot close some of your chrome tabs (which I think is pretty absurd even noteworthy power users like Linus only ever keeps like 20 around;I personally only ever have around 12)

5820k4Ghz/16GB(4x4)DDR4/MSI X99 SLI+/Corsair H105/R9 Fury X/Corsair RM1000i/128GB SM951/512GB 850Evo/1+2TB Seagate Barracudas

1 hour ago, r2724r16 said:

Then 32GB of RAM makes sense for you. DDR4 RAM prices are still insane, but I guess you NEED to upgrade if these are your workloads. 

They’ve come down quite a bit in the last 6 months, a 2x8GB kit is as low as $100 now. Pretty good, considering it’s lowest a couple years ago was in the neighborhood of $75, and just last year was upwards of $160

My Build, v2.1 --- CPU: i7-8700K @ 5.2GHz/1.288v || MoBo: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming || RAM: 4x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 2666 14-14-14-33 || Cooler: Custom Loop || GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black, on water || PSU: EVGA G2 850W || Case: Corsair 450D || SSD: 850 Evo 250GB, Intel 660p 2TB || Storage: WD Blue 2TB || G502 & Glorious PCGR Fully Custom 80% Keyboard || MX34VQ, PG278Q, PB278Q

Audio --- Headphones: Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX || Amp: Schiit Audio Magni 3 || DAC: Schiit Audio Modi 3 || Mic: Blue Yeti

[Under Construction]

My Truck --- 2002 F-350 7.3 Powerstroke || 6-speed

My Car --- 2006 Mustang GT || 5-speed || BBK LTs, O/R X, MBRP Cat-back || BBK Lowering Springs, LCAs || 2007 GT500 wheels w/ 245s/285s

The Experiment --- CPU: i5-3570K @ 4.0 GHz || MoBo: Asus P8Z77-V LK || RAM: 16GB Corsair 1600 4x4 || Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo || GPUs: Asus GTX 750 Ti, || PSU: Corsair TX750M Gold || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || SSD: 840 Pro 128GB || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

R.I.P. Asus X99-A motherboard, April 2016 - October 2018, may you rest in peace. 5820K, if I ever buy you a new board, it'll be a good one.