Arduino ATM

Okay so I really need a good way of handling and storing my money (PKR) since alot of it has been disappearing these past weeks. So I thought to myself why not create a safe-atm thing with an arduino which'll also brush up my programming skills that I haven't used in a long time.

The plan is to use an old steel box and add a fingerprint scanner hooked up to a pro micro (uno for prototype). The problem is that I want to enter an exact amount such as 4710 and have it output the exact notes like in this case 1000(x4) 500(x1) 100(x2) and (10x1) notes. The programming is easy but I can't figure out the mechanical layout. I've thought of using a pile of mixed notes with a color sensor (as all our notes are uniquely colored) at the top which makes the servo roll back the notes that aren't needed and rolls out the notes as they match those needed and after the money is out another servo can add back to the pile the discarded notes. The problem with this method is that it will require the pile on exact heights for the motor to properly pull/push therm. what should I do?

Also as for the depositing of money, rotating the motor backwards is a very simple solution but what can I do to sense the presence of a new note?

Thanks! :)

15 minutes ago, hammad1029 said:

Okay so I really need a good way of handling and storing my money (PKR) since alot of it has been disappearing these past weeks. So I thought to myself why not create a safe-atm thing with an arduino which'll also brush up my programming skills that I haven't used in a long time.

The plan is to use an old steel box and add a fingerprint scanner hooked up to a pro micro (uno for prototype). The problem is that I want to enter an exact amount such as 4710 and have it output the exact notes like in this case 1000(x4) 500(x1) 100(x2) and (10x1) notes. The programming is easy but I can't figure out the mechanical layout. I've thought of using a pile of mixed notes with a color sensor (as all our notes are uniquely colored) at the top which makes the servo roll back the notes that aren't needed and rolls out the notes as they match those needed and after the money is out another servo can add back to the pile the discarded notes. The problem with this method is that it will require the pile on exact heights for the motor to properly pull/push therm. what should I do?

Also as for the depositing of money, rotating the motor backwards is a very simple solution but what can I do to sense the presence of a new note?

Thanks! :)

From what I understood, that looks more like an ATM. Not a safe. If your money is being stolen, ask your relatives what's happening in your house and try to find a secret spot to hide the money or get an account at your Bank.

Your idea is fun but is it a good one to protect your money from robbers? Even with the fingerprint sensor, anyone can take the box away or open with a strong tool.

Have fun though

5 minutes ago, vascobrissos14 said:

From what I understood, that looks more like an ATM. Not a safe. If your money is being stolen, ask your relatives what's happening in your house and try to find a secret spot to hide the money or get an account at your Bank.

Your idea is fun but is it a good one to protect your money from robbers? Even with the fingerprint sensor, anyone can take the box away or open with a strong tool.

Have fun though

I could just hide my money better but this a cool little project I wanna do. Any suggestions?

40 minutes ago, hammad1029 said:

I could just hide my money better but this a cool little project I wanna do. Any suggestions?

You could use a RPI and create a Web Server or app to check your total balance and withdraw or deposit money.

Fingerprint stuff is very weak protection wise. it can be easily faked. That aside...

The problem you're gonna have is with paper notes sticking to each other, or being poor quality ... so you have to figure out some mechanism to count the bills you pull out.

my mind went straight to two options

spool the bills on some transparent (or transparent only to infrared depending on sensor used) foil , spool the foil like scotch tape or electrical tape...then unwind the spool as you need paper bills .... then eject them out one by one

cons - have to figure out a way to get bills to stay stuck to the foil (could be something as simple as an extra sheet of paper (or something that would be static free) on top of the bills which is removed right before the rubber wheels catch the note

shitty_drawing.png.b3f394058dcbb8fd020896eb68d9e27e.png

option 2 ... use a stepper motor to carefully move a rectangular box with a lot of small compartments of equal width over a hole in the bottom. Each compartment holds a single bill.. you can make each compartment let's say 2mm wide with 3mm thick walls and the hole in the bottom smaller, let's say 2-3mm ... basically making sure that it's impossible to have two compartments over the hole. 

stepper motor moves compartment over hole, bill falls down. Optionally, could make sure it falls by having something push the bill down (like eject mechanism of a CD/DVD tray, or a jet of air or a solenoid)

if your code is fast enough an optical sensor below the hole could detect obstruction (the bill falling through the hole) and you'll know the bill is down

proper atms measure the thickness then use various sensors to read actual data on the bills to detect the type before ejecting it