Dell R710 struggling with CPU and GPU performance, can't see why. HELP!

Zakt

Hey all,

I just got a r710 a few days ago and have been tinkering around with it. It runs 2x2tb in Raid 1 and performance feels a little sluggish. Then I cranked up some benchmarks to see if it only feels slow.

Cinebench R15 scores around 970-980 with dual xeon x5650 that's around 30% less performance than what I've seen online when People benchmark the dual x5650s.

I added a gtx 1050 ti for GPU passthrough to a VM (using unraid, and have been using unraid for my "desktop" consumer machine). So far ..so good. Everything boots up and works (powered by an external GPU). The GPU runs in the x8 PCIe slot modified to fit x16.

When I run gpu benchmarks tho it barely scores 50% of what it should. Passmark gives me around 4k results ( normally should be around 9k). Unigine heaven results in around 900 in comparison to what should be normal at around 1500.

Any ideas what I am doing wrong? I mean Windows server 2012 is based on windows 10 but I didn't expect such a big performance loss, and this doesn't feel in the range of being acceptable. This is not even benchmarking within a VM, which would be drastically worse.

Anyone with similar issues and maybe a solution?

Full specs:

Dual xeons x5650
24 GB ram (profile set to optimized)
Dual 840w PSU
2*2TB 7.2k SAS drives running @raid1
MSI Aero gtx 1060 3gb connected to an external PSU

TL;DR
Got a r710 and struggle with around 30% less CPU and 50~60% GPU performance. 

Edit: updated the bios to the newest and CPU is as it should be now. GPU still giving me 5500 passmark (better than before tho)

8 hours ago, Zakt said:

Hey all,

I just got a r710 a few days ago and have been tinkering around with it. It runs 2x2tb in Raid 1 and performance feels a little sluggish. Then I cranked up some benchmarks to see if it only feels slow.

Cinebench R15 scores around 970-980 with dual xeon x5650 that's around 30% less performance than what I've seen online when People benchmark the dual x5650s.

I added a gtx 1050 ti for GPU passthrough to a VM (using unraid, and have been using unraid for my "desktop" consumer machine). So far ..so good. Everything boots up and works (powered by an external GPU). The GPU runs in the x8 PCIe slot modified to fit x16.

When I run gpu benchmarks tho it barely scores 50% of what it should. Passmark gives me around 4k results ( normally should be around 9k). Unigine heaven results in around 900 in comparison to what should be normal at around 1500.

Any ideas what I am doing wrong? I mean Windows server 2012 is based on windows 10 but I didn't expect such a big performance loss, and this doesn't feel in the range of being acceptable. This is not even benchmarking within a VM, which would be drastically worse.

Anyone with similar issues and maybe a solution?

Full specs:

Dual xeons x5650
24 GB ram (profile set to optimized)
Dual 840w PSU
2*2TB 7.2k SAS drives running @raid1
MSI Aero gtx 1060 3gb connected to an external PSU

TL;DR
Got a r710 and struggle with around 30% less CPU and 50~60% GPU performance. 

Edit: updated the bios to the newest and CPU is as it should be now. GPU still giving me 5500 passmark (better than before tho)

That your GPU doesen't preform properly is because it's not in a 16X slot. Sure you can modify it work fit in a 8X slot, but the preformance loss can't be prevented.

You say you use Unraid, then that you don't use virtual machines? What is it gonna be? 

Running in a virtualized envoriments also have their draw backs. So preformance loss should be expected to a degree.

I'm not sure how GPU drivers act with Windows Server, but i would guess it's worse than Windows 10

On 11/11/2018 at 11:06 PM, AbsoluteFool said:

That your GPU doesen't preform properly is because it's not in a 16X slot. Sure you can modify it work fit in a 8X slot, but the preformance loss can't be prevented.

You say you use Unraid, then that you don't use virtual machines? What is it gonna be? 

Running in a virtualized envoriments also have their draw backs. So preformance loss should be expected to a degree.

I'm not sure how GPU drivers act with Windows Server, but i would guess it's worse than Windows 10

Ty for the reply,

I tried to update everything I could including BIOS and let windows server install all of its updates.

Cpu now is at 1250~1300 cinebench r15 and around 11k+ Passmark.

Passmark still gives me about 5500 points (which are totally inaccurate whyever). But 3DMark and Unigine give me accurate results (about 10% less than a normal pc with a x16 Card, that was expected).

So idk what exactly it was but everything works fine now.