Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Gaming/music build advice

reincarnator

My processor (i5 3570k) seems to finally be dropping below minimum requirements for games and I think I'm getting CPU bound in others (civ 6 I'm looking at you), so I'm finally taking the plunge on a (mostly) new rig. Problem is I've been out of the game for a while, so a little ignorant of recent developments. Therefore, I come to seek help from you guys!

I'm roughly targeting £1,000. This will be used primarily for gaming, while also being used for music production and light video editing. I'll be playing at 4k. I'll need a copy of Windows, but I already have all the other peripherals required.

I'm pulling an RX480 8GB and probably a hard drive from my current rig, so that's why they're not in this build. There's a couple of things I'm unsure on though:
-How good is the stock cooler? While I'm confident in its cooling ability, how noisy is it?
-How much do speed and latency affect memory of the same capacity? Should I just go for the cheapest sticks from a reputable manufacturer?
-Is the PSU sufficient to run this? At most, I could see myself adding a couple hard drives down the line, but probably won't ever mess with a second GPU.

I wouldn't pay that much for Windows. A lot of sites that sell digital codes for games will also sell Windows so you might be able to get it much cheaper.

Just changed a few things around. The R7 2700 saves a bit over the 2700X. Added a decent aftermarket cooler so you can overclock to make up the slight loss of the non 'X' cpu. Same ram but a bit cheaper.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 2700 3.2 GHz 8-Core Processor  (£250.36 @ Aria PC) 
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC - Freezer 33 eSports Edition (Black/White) CPU Cooler  (£39.95 @ Amazon UK) 
Motherboard: MSI - X470 GAMING PRO CARBON ATX AM4 Motherboard  (£164.48 @ Box Limited) 
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (£118.78 @ CCL Computers) 
Storage: Crucial - MX500 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (£68.39 @ Aria PC) 
Case: NZXT - H500i (White) ATX Mid Tower Case  (£99.98 @ Box Limited) 
Power Supply: Corsair - RMx (2018) 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  (£80.47 @ Scan.co.uk) 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit  (£82.97 @ Laptops Direct) 
Other: RX480 from current rig (Purchased)
Total: £905.38
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-11-11 13:14 GMT+0000

Winter is Coming.

Hardware.info data suggests G3 is louder than RMx and Focus Plus Gold.

Unless the H550i is less expensive than the H500, save a bit getting the H500.

I'd suggest an aftermarket cpu cooler.

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7 GHz 8-Core Processor  (£287.99 @ Aria PC) 
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG - H7 49 CFM CPU Cooler  (£38.94 @ CCL Computers) 
Motherboard: MSI - X470 GAMING PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard  (£128.86 @ Amazon UK) 
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (£129.98 @ CCL Computers) 
Storage: Samsung - 970 Evo 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  (£112.74 @ Aria PC) 
Case: NZXT - H500 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case  (£69.59 @ Aria PC) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  (£80.01 @ CCL Computers) 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit  (£82.97 @ Laptops Direct) 
Other: RX480 from current rig (Purchased)
Total: £931.08
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-11-11 13:50 GMT+0000

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

I've seen sites with windows keys for as little as £20, but that sounds WAY too good to be true. Could you link to a trustworthy one?

While that motherboard looks cool AF imo, why did you pick that one over the one I originally posted? I've never really known the difference on motherboards aside from I/O to be honest.

Thanks for the advice so far!

1 hour ago, reincarnator said:

I've seen sites with windows keys for as little as £20, but that sounds WAY too good to be true. Could you link to a trustworthy one?

While that motherboard looks cool AF imo, why did you pick that one over the one I originally posted? I've never really known the difference on motherboards aside from I/O to be honest.

Thanks for the advice so far!

Not sure how reliable they are for Windows but I have bought quite a few games from cjs-cdkeys which have all worked fine. Worth a go for £7.

https://www.cjs-cdkeys.com/products/Windows-10-Home-CD-Key-(Digital-Download).html

I think the Gaming Pro Carbon has slightly better VRM's but not 100% sure on that. The Tomahawk is a pretty decent board if you want something cheaper still.

Motherboard: MSI - B450 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard  (£99.27 @ Amazon UK) 
Total: £99.27
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-11-11 15:08 GMT+0000

Winter is Coming.