Hardware:

Intel E5300

Asus P5QL-VM Mobo

4gb DDR2(will be upgraded)

4 WD 4tb Data Center HDDs

500gb boot drive hdd

Adaptec 31205 Raid Controller

To start off my day I had wiped drives. No OS

I tried to see if it would POST without any OS installed and I had no video signal.

I unplugged the 4 4tb drives from the controller. Still no luck

I completely removed the controller. POSTed fine with video signal and all

I installed FreeNAS thinking maybe it would do something. Still no luck when card is installed. The system is working because freeNAS loads up and I can log into the Web GUI, there just isn't any video signal when I do it. 

Any Ideas? Thanks

Some boards just don't like raid cards, and there isn't much you can do.

I do question why you got a raid card with freenas, you really don't want a raid card for freenas, just use the onboard sata.

I bought the system used and it came with with the RAID controller. Rather than buy a couple HBA cards I figured I would run this guy JBOD. It support 12 or 16 drives I believe which is what Im hoping to expand to. 

I do know that it works though as the previous owner ran the same config with windows installed rather. I assume its not an OS thing as I can even view the BIOS settings. 

This card also does for sure support FreeBSD

1 minute ago, Anthony Piantine said:

I bought the system used and it came with with the RAID controller. Rather than buy a couple HBA cards I figured I would run this guy JBOD. It support 12 or 16 drives I believe which is what Im hoping to expand to. 

I do know that it works though as the previous owner ran the same config with windows installed rather. I assume its not an OS thing as I can even view the BIOS settings. 

This card also does for sure support FreeBSD

so you can view the bios, just not the os?

THen it probably thinks the pcie slot if for video only. See if there is a bios setting to change the default video defivice or add a pci video card.

But if you want that many drives, Id probalby do a motherboard swap as well. You can also save power and it won't be too much for something like a old i5.

that's supposed to say Can't. Apparently I can't type

If that card is installed I get no Video signal at all. 

that's supposed to say Can't. Apparently I can't type

If that card is installed I get no Video signal at all. 

that makes more sense.

But the system still boots and can be accessed over the network?

Is there a bios option for changing the default video adapter?

5 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

But the system still boots and can be accessed over the network?

Yeah, it can. I can log into the GUI. Do anything in there. The NAS even shows up on my network and I can write files to it. 

6 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Is there a bios option for changing the default video adapter?

No there isn't that I could find. I though that was really weird that their wasn't. 

Yeah, it can. I can log into the GUI. Do anything in there. The NAS even shows up on my network and I can write files to it. 

No there isn't that I could find. I though that was really weird that their wasn't. 

and you get a output if you use windows? 

Still seems like a issue between board and raid card.

The manual appears to infer that only GPUs will work in the slot, but it doesn't specifically say you can't put something else in there.  Verbatim:

image.png.08ca6e9a758c1af96d38bea2cd156a53.png

The only reason I say it infers as much is because for the other slot types it calls out examples of expansion cards.

No, the previous owner used windows

so did it output video with the previous owner?

Id just use it with no video, and take out the raid card if there is a problem with booting. There really isn't much you can do without changing the board or raid card.

All that being said, did you change the boot device for display to IGD under the chipset section of the BIOS?  It's in the manual.

image.png.117ab10fbe88bf10c11c383c9d78c396.png

'Cause your default BIOS option is PEG/PCI.  The board isn't 'smart' in terms of detection when compared to newer boards.  It probably only ignores that and defaults to IGD (iGPU) if no cards are installed in the PCI-E or PCI slots.

Yes, video did output with the previous owner. And he used the PCIe slot for the card. 

12 minutes ago, PineyCreek said:

All that being said, did you change the boot device for display to IGD under the chipset section of the BIOS?  It's in the manual.

Yeah, I did turn it to IGD. Same result. 

I also have tried with Plug N Player both On and Off

2 minutes ago, Anthony Piantine said:

Yes, video did output with the previous owner. And he used the PCIe slot for the card. 

Id talk to the old owner, it seems like somthing broke since then. 

7 minutes ago, Anthony Piantine said:

Yeah, I did turn it to IGD. Same result. 

I also have tried with Plug N Player both On and Off

Interesting...so since the only thing that has changed is the owner of the system you're either looking at a hardware problem or something in BIOS that you aren't setting correctly or saving correctly.  Maybe try resetting the BIOS.  Or talk to the original owner to see if he remembers anything.

I guess another thing to check is if the IGD mode type was still enabled.  You set the graphics to IGD, but there's also another BIOS options immediately after to set the memory allocation.  One setting is disabled though, so you could set it to IGD but set the allocation to disabled which might cause an issue.

I did try a bios reset. No luck. I think thats what I will do for now unless you guys have any more ideas. Ill shoot him a text and see what comes of it.

Thanks for all the help so far