Can i replace my laptops HDD into a SSD?

Vince Josef
Go to solution Solved by Fasauceome,

You can you just won't be able to copy windows without a bit of a headache. A fresh installation will solve this.

They both use the SATA interface so they;re compatible.

I'm just a beginner on computer hardware, I just want to know if can i replace my laptops HDD into a "WD Green 120GB SSD?" I just wanted to make sure that it is compatible before buying one. I'll include photos below. Please answer my simple question thanks in  advance!

20181111_081634.jpg

20181111_081610.jpg

20181111_081546.jpg

Sure, it'll work :)

But why don't you wait for black Friday and get a 250 or 500gb version. 120 is really not all That much. 

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

You can you just won't be able to copy windows without a bit of a headache. A fresh installation will solve this.

They both use the SATA interface so they;re compatible.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

The easiest way to do this is to get a 500GB SSD and clone the HDD to the SSD, using a USB to SATA cable and Macrium Reflect Free. Technically, a fresh install onto the SSD is the best way but, in the real world, it takes forever  since you have to install the OS, run down and install all the drivers, reinstall programs, and recofigure everything. As long as what's on your HDD is working fine, cloning will work just fine.

Also, I do not recommend the WD Greens, especially one so small. A 500GB Samsung 860 EVO iis a much better choice. It just doesn't make good sense to cheap out on this. Also, keep the old 500GB HDD to use for backups.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

42 minutes ago, FloRolf said:

Sure, it'll work :)

But why don't you wait for black Friday and get a 250 or 500gb version. 120 is really not all That much. 

I'm tempted to buy the 120gb version ssd because its only 1249php or roughly 25USD

2 hours ago, Vince Josef said:

I'm tempted to buy the 120gb version ssd because its only 1249php or roughly 25USD

You would be wasting your money on an SSD that small and especially a WD. A 120GB SSD will format out to around 110GB. SSDs need to have at least 20-25% free space for best speed and, especially, to avoid excessive write amplification which can dramatically reduce write life. At 25% free space, that leaves only 82 GB you can actually use for the OS and programs, which can get used up pretty quickly.

Add to that, the WDs just aren't all that good SSDs. For starters, they only have a three year warranty. The Samsung I recommended has a five year warranty and Samsungs have a far better reputation over all (Samsungs are the only SSDs I'll buy). You will get better bang for your buck if you can hold out until you can afford at least a 250GB SSD, 500GB if it will be the only drive in your computer. 

Keep in mind that, unless you luck onto a great sale, you only get what you pay for.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!