8700k hitting in the 80s

So I haven't noticed before but I have a custom Waterloop in my computer now and been watching thermals on the components I have watercooled. (Cpu and 2 gpus) well my cpu keeps hitting in the 80's with a few cores hitting 88c. With that said when I overclock my cpu to 5.1ghz and stress it I hit around the 70's maybe 75 tops. But just idling and dont know when it hits in the 80's. So I dial it down to 5ghz and then 4.9 and so forth just back to stock and for some reason it still hits those numbers in the 80's. What would cause that? 

Not sure if I should post in watercooling or if here is acceptable. 

My Rig: CPU: i9-9900k (5Ghz), Ram: 32gigs 3600mhz DDR4 CL16, MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus z390 Ultra, HDD: Samsung 970 Evo 500gig x2, Samsung 850 evo 250 gig, 2 TB Baracuda 7200 rpm,6tb WD Black 7200rpm, 4TB NAS, GPU: Gigabyte Aorus 3090 Master

That is just the 8700k being the 8700k from what they in china call the "intel toothpaste factory"

In other words. The TIM isnt great.

19 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

That is just the 8700k being the 8700k from what they in china call the "intel toothpaste factory"

In other words. The TIM isnt great.

im not 100% tech savy as im only just starting to learn all this stuff now, but im sure its more than just 8700k being 8700k, ive heard that they do run pretty hot, but im using an 8086k @ 5ghz and my idles are 30C, there could actually be a problem with his loop or pump or something

34 minutes ago, Livinloud said:

So I haven't noticed before but I have a custom Waterloop in my computer now and been watching thermals on the components I have watercooled. (Cpu and 2 gpus) well my cpu keeps hitting in the 80's with a few cores hitting 88c. With that said when I overclock my cpu to 5.1ghz and stress it I hit around the 70's maybe 75 tops. But just idling and dont know when it hits in the 80's. So I dial it down to 5ghz and then 4.9 and so forth just back to stock and for some reason it still hits those numbers in the 80's. What would cause that? 

Not sure if I should post in watercooling or if here is acceptable. 

do you have a good air cooler you can use and maybe have a very minor OC going and see how temps are?

im just trying to gauge the problem right now so sorry if im not as helpful as some of the other guys here

1 hour ago, Chaoz-Theory said:

im not 100% tech savy as im only just starting to learn all this stuff now, but im sure its more than just 8700k being 8700k, ive heard that they do run pretty hot, but im using an 8086k @ 5ghz and my idles are 30C, there could actually be a problem with his loop or pump or something

I suppose I screwed up in describing what's going on. It does idle between 25-30c sometimes spiking to 35..but the 80 and above happens when I'm not around like a possible air bubble passing through maybe for it to spike that high or maybe windows update idk. Just curious if anyone else has noticed that. When actually using the computer at 5.1ghz and actively on it I see high of 78c on one of the cores..but when i sleep and let it running idling it spikes..

My Rig: CPU: i9-9900k (5Ghz), Ram: 32gigs 3600mhz DDR4 CL16, MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus z390 Ultra, HDD: Samsung 970 Evo 500gig x2, Samsung 850 evo 250 gig, 2 TB Baracuda 7200 rpm,6tb WD Black 7200rpm, 4TB NAS, GPU: Gigabyte Aorus 3090 Master

34 minutes ago, Livinloud said:

I suppose I screwed up in describing what's going on. It does idle between 25-30c sometimes spiking to 35..but the 80 and above happens when I'm not around like a possible air bubble passing through maybe for it to spike that high or maybe windows update idk. Just curious if anyone else has noticed that. When actually using the computer at 5.1ghz and actively on it I see high of 78c on one of the cores..but when i sleep and let it running idling it spikes..

hmmm, that is pretty strange

have you checked that the block is sitting flush against the cooler?

i was actually watching a video similar to what is happening to you, might not be the same case but idk might give you some insight

49 minutes ago, Chaoz-Theory said:

hmmm, that is pretty strange

have you checked that the block is sitting flush against the cooler?

i was actually watching a video similar to what is happening to you, might not be the same case but idk might give you some insight

HAha I just watched that yesterday..I am waiting on water cooling parts to swap out and I was thinking of doing that! I will take off the cooler and see if I have some spreading thickness discrepancies.

1 hour ago, Livinloud said:

Ok a few things. Check your GPU temps. See if they are seeing massive temp spikes that would make you think it is a loop issue. I am thinking water temp would need to rise 20-25c before I would suspect a loop issue.

If this is truly happening when you think the machine is idle, my next recommendation would be to check your computer for malware. You might think it is idle for instance, but you might have something malicious on there going crazy the moment it detects idle state for 30+ minutes. This isn't something that is uncommon.

If you are seeing acceptable temps during stress tests, normal idle temps when you are around, and not hearing a lot of water noise or pump noise... then I think it is going to be something running when you are away that you are just not aware of. Looking at the temps I am guessing it is running your CPU and GPU's full out which is making your cpu temp higher from the extra water temp increase from the gpu's load being added in. I would check for some rogue cryptocurrency mining software. That would be the best explanation I can think of.

1 minute ago, AngryBeaver said:

Ok a few things. Check your GPU temps. See if they are seeing massive temp spikes that would make you think it is a loop issue. I am thinking water temp would need to rise 20-25c before I would suspect a loop issue.

If this is truly happening when you think the machine is idle, my next recommendation would be to check your computer for malware. You might think it is idle for instance, but you might have something malicious on there going crazy the moment it detects idle state for 30+ minutes. This isn't something that is uncommon.

If you are seeing acceptable temps during stress tests, normal idle temps when you are around, and not hearing a lot of water noise or pump noise... then I think it is going to be something running when you are away that you are just not aware of. Looking at the temps I am guessing it is running your CPU and GPU's full out which is making your cpu temp higher from the extra water temp increase from the gpu's load being added in. I would check for some rogue cryptocurrency mining software. That would be the best explanation I can think of.

Well now I feel like I should have added that my gpu's are mining but they stay between 45-49C. I suppose the mining may cause it to peak but seems more like and FPU operation temp. I remember when benchmarking just FPU it would hit above 80. 

3 minutes ago, Livinloud said:

Well now I feel like I should have added that my gpu's are mining but they stay between 45-49C. I suppose the mining may cause it to peak but seems more like and FPU operation temp. I remember when benchmarking just FPU it would hit above 80. 

So you aren't really idle. So these random spikes would be explained by your mining. Problem solved.

I will test with nothing running on desktop. Didn't think mining would have such a impact on cpu hitting high temps with less than 15%usage.