Apple launches SSD Service Program for select 13" MacBook Pros

Just now, corrado33 said:

So apple used bad parts, then notified customers that their computer may be in trouble, and offered to fix it free of charge. 

What's... the problem.... here?

I suppose the "problem" is that "Apple has yet another hardware problem!"

Here's the thing. Apple doesn't make the SSD's inside their computer. Basically no OEM does (Aside from... Samsung, maybe?)

They identified a problem, identified which users were affected, notified them, and offered them a free solution to said problem, proactively, before any failure actually happened.

Well done Apple! (Totally serious about this, seriously, props Apple, more companies should do this)

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

3 minutes ago, corrado33 said:

So apple used bad parts, then notified customers that their computer may be in trouble, and offered to fix it free of charge. 

Certainly better of just letting the products fail and making users go through RMA. 

Yeah, What they are doing is the best course of action when they realize that there is a problem.

All hardware companies are destined to have problems sometimes and this is what they should do.

2 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Here's the thing. Apple doesn't make the SSD's inside their computer. Basically no OEM does (Aside from... Samsung, maybe?)

They identified a problem, identified which users were affected, notified them, and offered them a free solution to said problem, proactively, before any failure actually happened.

Well done Apple! (Totally serious about this, seriously, props Apple, more companies should do this)

Agreed, certainly the OP was trying to make apple look bad, but in reality I think this makes Apple look GOOD. 

Just now, corrado33 said:

Agreed, certainly the OP was trying to make apple look bad, but in reality I think this makes Apple look GOOD. 

Agreed.

Let's be clear, Apple does a lot of stupid shit. They also do some things that could definitely be considered anti-consumer.

But this is sure as hell not one of those examples. My suggestion to all: If you're gonna take shots at Apple, take shots at them doing actual bad things. Taking shots at them for doing this makes you look petty or like an Anti-Apple fanboy.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

9 minutes ago, corrado33 said:

Certainly better of just letting the products fail and making users go through RMA. 

The problem is that these macbooks shouldn't be having such problems. I'd kind of annoyed to pay such a premium for macbook to only get a notification that the SSD might be a defective part.  I am a bit curious if this related to the T2 chip, as certain models recently had issues with the chip causing instability.

4 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

The problem is that these macbooks shouldn't be having such problems. I'd kind of annoyed to pay such a premium for macbook to only get a notification that the SSD might be a defective part.  I am a bit curious if this related to the T2 chip, as certain models recently had issues with the chip causing instability.

The T2 chip didn't appear in any Macbook Pro until the 2018 refresh (July 2018), and I don't believe the 2017 non TouchBar had a T1 chip.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

5 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

I mean, apple didn't make the SSD chips. Sure, they bought them, but can you blame them for another company's screw up? 

Also would you be MORE annoyed if apple had just let them fail and you lose all your data? 

I already posted about this some time ago:

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

Good on Apple. ?

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

37 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

because no other company has ssd issues. 

(that was sarcasm if it wasn't obvious)

also, would you rather have it fail randomly? now, they warned you, you can make a backup and have the ssd replaced.... i don't see the issue. 

@DrMacintosh is the SSD in your Mac still ok? or have you used the repair program just in case..?

She/Her

18 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

@DrMacintosh is the SSD in your Mac still ok? or have you used the repair program just in case..?

Lol I have an outstanding free battery replacement (with top case replacement included) AND a seperate top case replacement. My Machine is not covered under the SSD service program though. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

Just now, DrMacintosh said:

Lol I have an outstanding free battery replacement (with top case replacement included) AND a seperate top case replacement. My Machine is not covered under the SSD service program though. 

why? it's a nTB right? 

She/Her

1 hour ago, corrado33 said:

59 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

58 minutes ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

Yeah, What they are doing is the best course of action when they realize that there is a problem.

All hardware companies are destined to have problems sometimes and this is what they should do.

48 minutes ago, corrado33 said:

I mean, apple didn't make the SSD chips. Sure, they bought them, but can you blame them for another company's screw up? 

Also would you be MORE annoyed if apple had just let them fail and you lose all your data? 

31 minutes ago, 2Buck said:

Good on Apple. ?

To address all of you:

My intention wasn't to make Apple look bad. Although a company with the significant capitol that Apple has should be testing their hardware more (as is evidenced by this, and many other hardware failures), I do commend apple for the swift response. Apple has a lot to be criticized for, but ragging on any specific company relentlessly is poor taste in my opinion. We call out Apple when they mess up, just the same way we call out Intel or AMD or Nvidia.

My intention with this post was simply to spread awareness. I did a brief google search on the subject, and found nothing of substance. I was not aware that @DrMacintosh had previously posted about the issue. 

It simply happened to a friend of mine, and I wanted to share it.

Main PC:

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X • Noctua NH-D15 • MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk • 2x8GB G.skill Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CL16 • MSI VENTUS 3X GeForce RTX 3070 OC • Samsung 970 Evo 1TB • Samsung 860 Evo 1TB • Cosair iCUE 465X RGB • Corsair RMx 750W (White)

Peripherals/Other:

ASUS VG27AQ • G PRO K/DA • G502 Hero K/DA • G733 K/DA • G840 K/DA • Oculus Quest 2 • Nintendo Switch (Rev. 2)

Laptop (Dell XPS 13):

Intel Core i7-1195G7 • Intel Iris Xe Graphics • 16GB LPDDR4x 4267MHz • 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD • 13.4" OLED 3.5K InfinityEdge Display (3456x2160, 400nit, touch). 

Got any questions about my system or peripherals? Feel free to tag me (@bellabichon) and I'll be happy to give you my two cents. 

PSA: Posting a PCPartPicker list with no explanation isn't helpful for first-time builders :)

1 minute ago, bellabichon said:

To address all of you:

My intention wasn't to make Apple look bad. Although a company with the significant capitol that Apple has should be testing their hardware more (as is evidenced by this, and many other hardware failures), I do commend apple for the swift response. Apple has a lot to be criticized for, but ragging on any specific company relentlessly is poor taste in my opinion. We call out Apple when they mess up, just the same way we call out Intel or AMD or Nvidia.

My intention with this post was simply to spread awareness. I did a brief google search on the subject, and found nothing of substance. I was not aware that @DrMacintosh had previously posted about the issue. 

It simply happened to a friend of mine, and I wanted to share it.

Your phrasing in your OP says differently. It was obviously focused on the negatives rather than the positive that they caught the issue, and offered to fix it... for free. It's very obvious you're biased. 

59 minutes ago, corrado33 said:

Sure, they bought them, but can you blame them for another company's screw up? 

If Apple is the only one having issues on this large a scale, yes.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

6 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

why? it's a nTB right? 

Yeah, but I bought it in 2016 from BestBuy during the Presidents’ Day sale. 

As for why I haven’t used the other programs, I’m not about to be arsed to ship my laptop off to Apple for at least 3 days when I need it every other day for college I’m lazy! 

wasn't this discovered a while ago? i swear i've already seen this before

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

Would be a pretty easy / cheap fix for Apple if the SSD wasn't soldered to the board. 

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

11 minutes ago, corrado33 said:

*Sigh*

https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/recall-list

Everyone gets faulty hardware occasionally. 

What's your point? That link doesn't prove or disprove what either one of us said. It's actually irrelevant to the question you asked and the answer I provided.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

1 hour ago, corrado33 said:

I'm not saying this bad at all, but Apple chose what SSD chips went into their hardware.

If it fails you lose all your data anyway, and it wouldn't be such an issue either if the user were allowed to change their SSD with a standardized M.2 SSD.

39 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

because no other company has ssd issues. 

(that was sarcasm if it wasn't obvious)

also, would you rather have it fail randomly? now, they warned you, you can make a backup and have the ssd replaced.... i don't see the issue.

I haven't heard of any other company having a widespread SSD issue?  It would become an issue if there are problems with the chips and it failing out of warranty, which would require you to pay Apple to replace the entire motherboard.

Just now, Blademaster91 said:

I haven't heard of any other company having a widespread SSD issue?

you know why? Apple sells so many macbooks that if something goes wrong it's immediately widespread, and the hardcore apple haters like you are always looking for flaws with them. 

i had a platinet ssd die on me last weekend. after about 3 years of use. does that get reported on? no... but it did happen. 

She/Her

11 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

i had a platinet ssd die on me last weekend. after about 3 years of use. does that get reported on? no... but it did happen. 

This is after less than a year of use...

Main PC:

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X • Noctua NH-D15 • MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk • 2x8GB G.skill Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CL16 • MSI VENTUS 3X GeForce RTX 3070 OC • Samsung 970 Evo 1TB • Samsung 860 Evo 1TB • Cosair iCUE 465X RGB • Corsair RMx 750W (White)

Peripherals/Other:

ASUS VG27AQ • G PRO K/DA • G502 Hero K/DA • G733 K/DA • G840 K/DA • Oculus Quest 2 • Nintendo Switch (Rev. 2)

Laptop (Dell XPS 13):

Intel Core i7-1195G7 • Intel Iris Xe Graphics • 16GB LPDDR4x 4267MHz • 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD • 13.4" OLED 3.5K InfinityEdge Display (3456x2160, 400nit, touch). 

Got any questions about my system or peripherals? Feel free to tag me (@bellabichon) and I'll be happy to give you my two cents. 

PSA: Posting a PCPartPicker list with no explanation isn't helpful for first-time builders :)

11 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

Whereas Apple's having these issues on a large enough scale to institute a replacement program on machines less than a year old.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.