6 Core RX 570 used budget build

itsactually.me

So this is the second PC I've ever build so any comments for the future are welcome.

I desperately needed an upgrade from the first PC I threw together after my laptop died which featured the cheapest junk I could find on eBay a year and a half ago. So I've set out to build another used budget build and I think I did an alright job at it.

It started out like it always does: Watching YouTube videos and doing research. Are a bit of poking around the x58 platform and the 30€ X5675 sounded like good options. While looking for motherboards on eBay I stumbled upon a used HP Z400 workstation which would have the mobo, 24 gigs of DDR3, an underwhelming cooler and a seriously sturdy (albeit ugly) case for just about 115€. The one problem with it was that it's using a non standard ATX power connector, so i got an adapter for just over 10€ from ModDIY, which let me install my evga 600w PSU from my old pc. While looking around on eBay I've found that RX570 are going for quite reasonable prices, I placed a bid of 105€ and won the auction at exactly that price. After all the bits and pieces arrived (shipping from China has gotten surprisingly fast, 11 days from placing my order to holding it in my hands) I've assembled everything without major hitches (only two PSU mounting holes would line up so I used a bit of double sided tape and I had to enable hyperthreading manually in the bios). I haven't run any benchmarks, as I wouldn't know which ones to run (if you'd like some, suggest one and I might try that), but I've seen a noticeable performance increase in games. I'll also put in a 1TB harddrive whenever I find the time to pick one up.

At the end I just want to point out how easy the Z400 is to work in. Almost everything is toolless and straightforward and there's loads of room for everything.

I hope you like it and as I've said before, any comments are appreciated and helpful for future projects.

Pictures?

BTW I love taking a Dell and making it gaming (but HP works as well I guess)

Systems:

Main Gaming:                                                        Windows XP:

Ryzen 5 2600                                                               Intel Pentium 3

Asus RX 580 OC                                                     1GB DDR2

Patriot Viper DDR4 8GB                                         Asus Motherboard

Asus ROG B450-I                                                   Dell 300W

Corsair CX 450                                                       ATI Rage 128 Fury Pro

FreeNAS Server:                                                   Windows 98/95 duel boot:

I5 3400k                                                                  Pentium Pro

Patriot DDR3 8GB                                                  HP Vectra motherboard 

Gigabyte Ultra Durable                                           500MB RAM

Rosewill Glacier 600W                                           Soundblaster 16

Matrox Mystique

Random PC:                                                         

AMD Phenom x4 850                                          Key:

Kukete A78                                                          Motherboard

Kingston 4GB DDR3                                            Memory

Dell 500W                                                            Power Supply

Graphics Card

Other Gaming:                                                    Sound Card

Ryzen 5 2600                                                       Processor

Asus ROG Strix B350-F Gaming

MSI 1050 OC

Hyper-X 16GB DDR4

EVGA 750 B2

2 minutes ago, itsactually.me said:

So this is the second PC I've ever build so any comments for the future are welcome.

I desperately needed an upgrade from the first PC I threw together after my laptop died which featured the cheapest junk I could find on eBay a year and a half ago. So I've set out to build another used budget build and I think I did an alright job at it.

It started out like it always does: Watching YouTube videos and doing research. Are a bit of poking around the x58 platform and the 30€ X5675 sounded like good options. While looking for motherboards on eBay I stumbled upon a used HP Z400 workstation which would have the mobo, 24 gigs of DDR3, an underwhelming cooler and a seriously sturdy (albeit ugly) case for just about 115€. The one problem with it was that it's using a non standard ATX power connector, so i got an adapter for just over 10€ from ModDIY, which let me install my evga 600w PSU from my old pc. While looking around on eBay I've found that RX570 are going for quite reasonable prices, I placed a bid of 105€ and won the auction at exactly that price. After all the bits and pieces arrived (shipping from China has gotten surprisingly fast, 11 days from placing my order to holding it in my hands) I've assembled everything without major hitches (only two PSU mounting holes would line up so I used a bit of double sided tape and I had to enable hyperthreading manually in the bios). I haven't run any benchmarks, as I wouldn't know which ones to run (if you'd like some, suggest one and I might try that), but I've seen a noticeable performance increase in games. I'll also put in a 1TB harddrive whenever I find the time to pick one up.

At the end I just want to point out how easy the Z400 is to work in. Almost everything is toolless and straightforward and there's loads of room for everything.

I hope you like it and as I've said before, any comments are appreciated and helpful for future projects.

Yup, if my FX dies Ill be grabbing up a Xeon workstation to replace it (T3500 X5690 pref)

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

Just now, itsactually.me said:

Haven't done pictures yet but might do when I get home. (And it's not a Dell but an HP)

yeah I saw I edited my post

Systems:

Ryzen 5 2600                                                               Intel Pentium 3

Corsair CX 450                                                       ATI Rage 128 Fury Pro

FreeNAS Server:                                                   Windows 98/95 duel boot:

I5 3400k                                                                  Pentium Pro

Patriot DDR3 8GB                                                  HP Vectra motherboard 

Matrox Mystique

Random PC:                                                         

Dell 500W                                                            Power Supply

Graphics Card

MSI 1050 OC

Hyper-X 16GB DDR4

EVGA 750 B2

So here are the pictures you asked for:

Exterior:

IMG_20181109_195818.thumb.jpg.57a965e72cc835e7495e4ba6b3b1be51.jpg

Interior (notice the fan ziptied in the bottom right with the SSD wedged in right next to it):

IMG_20181109_200103.thumb.jpg.b1590b384d2f85ff8fdddf3240c873ab.jpg

Another interior shot (that plastic shroud hides a lot of messy cable management):

IMG_20181109_200112.thumb.jpg.eb1193e4795f8571f57127c8f2c8f4a1.jpg

Very nice, taking an office PC is the way to go if you have a small budget

And better cable management than mine

Systems:

Matrox Mystique

Random PC:                                                         

Graphics Card

MSI 1050 OC

Hyper-X 16GB DDR4

EVGA 750 B2