Trying to dualboot Windows XP and Windows 10

NaimanidEmperor
Go to solution Solved by homeap5,

Install win10 on one drive (unplug test of them while installing system), then install XP on another drive (the same method). And you can choose bootable drive using motherboard boot manager.

Hey guys,so i was planning to get a new low end gaming rig,with an nvme ssd, a SATA ssd and a regular Sata hdd,I have a large collection of my older games and also lot of old software,which i can only guarantee will work on Windows XP,so i wanted to see if i can setup a dualboot config with Windows 10,or if I should use something like vmware(i only dont want to use it because i doubt my low specs can handle it).

If your rig is so low end that it can't handle Windows XP in a VM then I don't know how it'll ever handle Windows 10 while playing games. That being said, I would recommend the VMWare route because Windows XP and 10 have the same install mechanism (MBR without GRUB to manage them) and so they would conflict. If you must run both and don't want VMWare, then consider something like Proxmox, a free hypervisor that introduces basically no overhead and then you have W10 and WXP VMs installed on it. Passthrough your GPU and you're done. Note though that a hypervisor would be an advanced option.

Join the Appleitionist cause! See spoiler below for answers to common questions that shouldn't be common!

Spoiler

Q: Do I have a virus?!
A: If you didn't click a sketchy email, haven't left your computer physically open to attack, haven't downloaded anything sketchy/free, know that your software hasn't been exploited in a new hack, then the answer is: probably not.

Q: What email/VPN should I use?
A: Proton mail and VPN are the best for email and VPNs respectively. (They're free in a good way)

Q: How can I stay anonymous on the (deep/dark) webzz???....

A: By learning how to de-anonymize everyone else; if you can do that, then you know what to do for yourself.

Q: What Linux distro is best for x y z?

A: Lubuntu for things with little processing power, Ubuntu for normal PCs, and if you need to do anything else then it's best if you do the research yourself.

Q: Why is my Linux giving me x y z error?

A: Have you not googled it? Are you sure StackOverflow doesn't have an answer? Does the error tell you what's wrong? If the answer is no to all of those, message me.

well my current rig has a 4th gen corei3,4GB DDR3 and a gt 710,but the one i plan on getting would have a ryzen apu and 16 gb ram,

my current system can barely run anything so thats why i was a bit skeptical of vmware,a lot part of me likes using xp because that os is quite near and dear to my heart.

Install win10 on one drive (unplug test of them while installing system), then install XP on another drive (the same method). And you can choose bootable drive using motherboard boot manager.

Thanks,but i was just wondering if i need to go to ide mode while installing XP,because my cd didnt come with AHCI contollers

1 hour ago, NaimanidEmperor said:

Thanks,but i was just wondering if i need to go to ide mode while installing XP,because my cd didnt come with AHCI contollers

Just for first install - maybe. But after that, one small change and you'll be good:

https://www.neowin.net/news/neowin-guide-how-to-change-from-ide-to-ahci-without-reinstalling-windows/

or this:

https://windowspro.eu/enable-ahci-without-reinstalling-windows-xp/

On 11/9/2018 at 10:02 PM, NaimanidEmperor said:

Hey guys,so i was planning to get a new low end gaming rig,with an nvme ssd, a SATA ssd and a regular Sata hdd,I have a large collection of my older games and also lot of old software,which i can only guarantee will work on Windows XP,so i wanted to see if i can setup a dualboot config with Windows 10,or if I should use something like vmware(i only dont want to use it because i doubt my low specs can handle it).

I would tell you not to use any virtual machine software because I personally always like installing fresh windows on a real machine and not a virtual one, and you can dualboot windows XP and 10. Btw, Windows xp reminds me of memories...