got windows 10 on SSD and on hdd...

dirolas

Hello,

So first of all , i upgraded from hdd to SSD some time ago , installed fresh windows on SSD 250gb one and right now i do realise i need way more space.Previously i had 500gb HDD that i was using. So my question is , how do i install my HDD so that i can drop everything to it , games , music etc,etc. It has already installed windows and other stuff , but i really dont need it. So do i just format my HDD ? Will my PC discover the HDD when i plug it into my pc along with ssd ? Ty for answers

A format should work just fine.

So long as you've set your boot order to prioritize the SSD, and it actually boots from it, disk management (or, a command prompt) should be able to format the old HDD for you with no issue.

~Remember to quote posts to continue support on your thread~
-Don't be this kind of person-

CPU:  AMD Ryzen 7 5800x | RAM: 2x16GB Crucial Ripjaws Z | Cooling: XSPC/EK/Bitspower loop | MOBO: Gigabyte x570 Aorus Master | PSU: Seasonic Prime 750 Titanium  

SSD: 250GB Samsung 980 PRO (OS) | 1TB Crucial MX500| 2TB Crucial P2 | Case: Phanteks Evolv X | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (with EK Block) | HDD: 1x Seagate Barracuda 2TB

29 minutes ago, Semper said:

A format should work just fine.

So long as you've set your boot order to prioritize the SSD, and it actually boots from it, disk management (or, a command prompt) should be able to format the old HDD for you with no issue.

so i guess i have to unplug my ssd , plug in hdd - format it , plug in ssd and hdd together and should work okay ?

17 hours ago, dirolas said:

so i guess i have to unplug my ssd , plug in hdd - format it , plug in ssd and hdd together and should work okay ?

No, boot from the SSD, you won't be able to format the drive that Windows is currently loaded from, which was what my explanation above was. (Basically, just make sure you're booting from the SSD then go into disk management and find your HDD, format, and away you go)

~Remember to quote posts to continue support on your thread~
-Don't be this kind of person-

CPU:  AMD Ryzen 7 5800x | RAM: 2x16GB Crucial Ripjaws Z | Cooling: XSPC/EK/Bitspower loop | MOBO: Gigabyte x570 Aorus Master | PSU: Seasonic Prime 750 Titanium  

SSD: 250GB Samsung 980 PRO (OS) | 1TB Crucial MX500| 2TB Crucial P2 | Case: Phanteks Evolv X | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (with EK Block) | HDD: 1x Seagate Barracuda 2TB

First of all - boot from SSD without HDD, just to be sure everything works good.

Then plug your HDD with SSD, boot from SSD and delete everything you don't need from HDD. You can just delete folders like "Windows" or "Program Files" from it if you don't need them, if you have any data on HDD that you want to keep. But if not (no important data on hdd), then format it - it will be faster than deleting files.

But my advice is different - leave system on HDD and use just free space on it. This way you'll have some kind of backup operating system that you may use to made image of your current system, fix something if you broke something using second system etc.