Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

City Hall sold my info

Canada EH

I signed a form and to my stupidity I gave them my real cell phone number. It is funny because the clerk did a double take, and I should have clued in but the clerk was so focused on the fucking form, plus I get pissed off big time when I have to go to city hall so that threw me off my game.

2 days after signing the form and handing it in I get a call from a survey company. It does not sound recorded but I always hang up, today I listened for a bit then hung up on them. There is a delay just like on a land line, but you never know on a cell phone, plus the caller ID had a real tele #.

4 days later I get another call, same thing, I run to my phone and now I am pissed off.

Luckily it was the same phone number again.

I have options, these are all in order.

I can block them on my cell phone.

I can ask the survery taker to take me off their list.

I can sign up to the useless federal do not call list.

If they start using a different # then I will have to step it up a notch.

I will go to city hall and get ahold of someone, I will start in the department I signed the form and change my cell # back to the old fake cell #.

I will proceed to fuck with them trying to get to the bottom of it all in a reasonable manner.

I can also ask the telephone company to block them as well.

I can ask the telephone company for the information on the owners of that telephone # and file a restraining order, then if it happens again, file criminal charges and take them to small claims court. Not only the survey company, but city hall as well.

I am just wondering if I have left any other options out?

What other things can I do?

Nuke from orbit? Being serious though everything past the second point sounds like a massive waste of time and effort. Just block and forget.

My Rig - Intel I7-5820k@ 4ghz| Rampage V Extreme| 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4|RTX 2060 SUPER| Corsair 650D| Corsair HX750| 2TB Samsung 850 EVO| H100i| 3x SF-120's| 1x 240 cooler master Red LED Front intake

Everything I say defaults to include /s

Couldn't it just be a coincidence ? I mean, I never gave out my number, to any governmental entity or really anybody, yet I still got calls for surveys and/or scams as well.

Just block and forget, it's what I do.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3600 / GPU: Radeon HD7970 GHz 3GB with Noctua Fans / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 11 Pro

I think it would be a wrong decision to assume city hall is SELLING your information. However I am not aware of what form you signed, and depending on the form, certain things may be part of public record. It also could be entirely coincidental that a spammer just started trying your number from a list of available carrier numbers. People can get your number without anyone explicitly giving or selling it. Tis a sad truth of the world today