Looking for new Laptop as an computer engineering student

Hello all,

This is my first post in this forum and I hope you guys can help me. Linus is never tired to refer to this forum if somebody needs help with choosing hardware or in my case a laptop. :)

I only have a very old laptop, which weighs way too much to carry it around anymore.

So, I think I know what I want in terms of spec, but the filters on most websites aren't that great:

I am in the Masters program for computer engineering and a program that I frequently have to use is: Vivado and build Linux Images over PetaLinux. So if anyone knows Vivado, my specs should make sense. I am from Germany btw, so some products aren't available like the LG Gram.

1) Most importantly: It needs to be compatible with Linux. I don't know if this is an issue but I heard it took them a long time to get the Vega Cards running and I assume the integrated Vega chips could also have difficulties. I just can't go back to windows. I've grown too found of Linux. :D

2) I would prefer to run Windows in a VM. I am using Windows not often enough to go through a dual boot and it just waste precious disk space and I could still use linux programs besides that.

3) I am aiming at 16GB of Ram. Mainly because Vivado is an extreme Ram houg and I would like to at least watch a YouTube video while I am waiting

4) Because of the size of the Linux images created by PetaLinux I will need a 512GB SSD. 1TB always has this huge price bump.

5) Because most of my day is spend running around in the University I would really like to have at least 7-8h of battery life (under Linux)

6) A Quad Core seems to be the correct choice again looking at which programs I want to use

7) I will not game on that laptop and will not do image processing. So I don't care about gaming performance and color accuracy.

? I don't really care about touchscreen and 4k. Some programs that I have to use for the University look terrible in 4k so would actually choose a smaller resolution.

But I am open for different opinions.

I am also thinking about getting a workstation instead with a ryzen with integrated graphics and then go for a cheaper Ultrabook.

So as you can see, I am still quite unsure if I am having the correct approach. 

Thanks!

32 minutes ago, noisehater said:

Thanks!

You never said budget and as a student I would imagine you have one

Irish in Vancouver, what's new?

33 minutes ago, noisehater said:

Hello all,

This is my first post in this forum and I hope you guys can help me. Linus is never tired to refer to this forum if somebody needs help with choosing hardware or in my case a laptop. :)

I only have a very old laptop, which weighs way too much to carry it around anymore.

So, I think I know what I want in terms of spec, but the filters on most websites aren't that great:

I am in the Masters program for computer engineering and a program that I frequently have to use is: Vivado and build Linux Images over PetaLinux. So if anyone knows Vivado, my specs should make sense. I am from Germany btw, so some products aren't available like the LG Gram.

1) Most importantly: It needs to be compatible with Linux. I don't know if this is an issue but I heard it took them a long time to get the Vega Cards running and I assume the integrated Vega chips could also have difficulties. I just can't go back to windows. I've grown too found of Linux. :D

2) I would prefer to run Windows in a VM. I am using Windows not often enough to go through a dual boot and it just waste precious disk space and I could still use linux programs besides that.

3) I am aiming at 16GB of Ram. Mainly because Vivado is an extreme Ram houg and I would like to at least watch a YouTube video while I am waiting

4) Because of the size of the Linux images created by PetaLinux I will need a 512GB SSD. 1TB always has this huge price bump.

5) Because most of my day is spend running around in the University I would really like to have at least 7-8h of battery life (under Linux)

6) A Quad Core seems to be the correct choice again looking at which programs I want to use

7) I will not game on that laptop and will not do image processing. So I don't care about gaming performance and color accuracy.

? I don't really care about touchscreen and 4k. Some programs that I have to use for the University look terrible in 4k so would actually choose a smaller resolution.

But I am open for different opinions.

I am also thinking about getting a workstation instead with a ryzen with integrated graphics and then go for a cheaper Ultrabook.

So as you can see, I am still quite unsure if I am having the correct approach. 

Thanks!

do you have a price range in mind?

Asus crosshair hero VI  Gtx 1080ti  Ryzen 1700 16gb 3200mhz trident z RGB ram custom watercooled loop

if i were you i would go with envy but its not budget friendly(1.7k$) 

HP ENVY - 17-bw0011nr

Best way is to get ultrabook and workstation, you can get surface go/pro pretty cheap+ ryzen 7 based pc with 16gigs of ram.

Also you could look for previous generations xenons with motherboards (like 1650) so you would only need to get psu+case+monitor etc.. 

1 hour ago, Shally said:

You never said budget and as a student I would imagine you have one

Sry. I forgot to mention. The budget is 1600€ and Max 1800€ if it is worth it.

Any preference on weight and display size? Any links of online stores?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128