Converting VGA to HDMI?

Drygur

I've never ran into this problem myself, my grandmother bought some Dell Inspiron line PC a few years back. We had some storms recently and it fried her computer, all she does is browse the web buying this or that and using social media. I thought of a Chromebox for replacement. Then I realized her monitor is VGA, is there any real solution other than buying a new monitor? Do any of these "adapters" or "converters" really do what I need them to do?

1 minute ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Yep.

I picked up a VGA to HDMI adapter to use with my Raspberry Pi, no issues whatsoever.

Do you happen to remember the model you bought? There are a ton of the market and a lot of them look like Chinese rips that may or may not work. If not I'll browse around

Using one at the moment for my third monitor, works good. It's a VGA only monitor and comparing connecting VGA directly to it vs. this adapter; I see no issues.

Just browse whatever website you like to buy from and check the reviews on the product. Usually you either see people saying "it works" or see everyone saying "it doesn't work", pick the product with reviews like my former example.

This product shouldn't cost your more than 30 USD, but just double check with the really cheap things that they actually work (since an adapter like this needs to convert analog VGA signal to digital HDMI).

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Just now, Drygur said:

Do you happen to remember the model you bought? There are a ton of the market and a lot of them look like Chinese rips that may or may not work. If not I'll browse around

I bought this one at Micro Center a couple years ago: https://www.microcenter.com/product/431859/hdmi-to-vga-adapter-with-audio

Still going strong today.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!