Windows Insider upgrade bug turns Pro into Home

NumLock21

From files going poof in build 1809, to zip files not working properly, and file association being broken, Windows adds another bug to its list. The latest bug, affected users, who are part of the Insider program, where after upgrading to the latest 18277 build, it downgrades their Windows 10 Pro to Windows 10 Home. Then it gives an error messaging saying their product key is invalid and wants them to buy a legit license.

“Also got this de-activation of Pro tonight. I’ve always run Pro since the early insider days, this digital license copy of Pro (non-insider) has been activated for ages. Tonight, poof.

“I am having the same problem. It’s even gone as far as my digital entitlement is gone from my Microsoft account and I have a Windows 10 home key now. Windows is deactivated because I went from Windows 10 Pro to home and it doesn’t match anymore.”

Microsoft has noticed the issue and is trying to fix it.

“Microsoft has just released an Emerging issue announcement about current activation issue related to Pro edition recently. This happens in Japan, Korea, American and many other countries. I am very sorry to inform you that there is a temporary issue with Microsoft’s activation server at the moment and some customers might experience this issue where Windows is displayed as not activated. Our engineers are working tirelessly to resolve this issue and it is expected to be corrected within one to two business days.”

windows-10-pro-license-bug.jpg

While this is a major bug, IMO will be a nice feature to have in future builds. As of now, users can only upgrade from Home to Pro, but if they want to go back to Home, they will need to do a clean install. With this downgrade features, users can easily convert from Pro back to Home, without the need to reinstall their OS.

https://wccftech.com/windows-10-bug-downgrading-pro-licenses-home/

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Already posted.

“Security is always excessive until it’s not enough.”

– Robbie Sinclair, Head of Security, NSW Australia 

“Have you tried turning it off and on again?” - Every Tech Rep Ever

If you need help with your build please tag me.

Main PC:

CPU: Ryzen 3 1300x RAM: 8gb ddr4 2666 MT/s Mobo: ASRock A320M HDD: 1tb WD GPU: Gtx 1050ti 4gb

Spoiler

P.s. if you can tell me what reference my location I will follow you. 

Bonus points if you can tell me the names of the people there. 

According to that error message its the opposite problem anyway. The computer is still running pro and is claiming the license is for home.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Incorrect news.

The real news is that Microsoft is/was executing maintenance on the Activation servers, and this resulted in an issue with some people activation process (I guess those who fell in their Windows calling home for activation validation, or activating Windows from an install). This affected non-Insiders and Insiders. It LOOKED like it was Insiders, because a new build was released yesterday and people are still upgrading to it.

Microsoft official statement says:

Thank you for sharing, Daniel. Microsoft has just released an Emerging issue announcement about current activation issue related to Pro edition recently. This happens in Japan, Korea, American and many other countries. I am very sorry to inform you that there is a temporary issue with Microsoft’s activation server at the moment and some customers might experience this issue where Windows is displayed as not activated. Our engineers are working tirelessly to resolve this issue and it is expected to be corrected within one to two business days, Daniel.

Anyway, already posted: