Windows 10 Pro Licenses Are Being Downgraded To Home

Just now, KuJoe said:

I feel bad for the server admins you know who don't like uptime.

Again, Debain and CentOS are not better in regards to stability.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

3 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Again, Debain and CentOS are not better in regards to stability.

Thanks for stating your opinion again, no need to derail this thread anymore than it has been though. I posted the facts, you posted your feelings, nothing more to discuss really.

-KuJoe

1 minute ago, KuJoe said:

I posted the facts

You really didn't. You just made an unsubstantiated claim. One that I have never seen repeated anywhere else.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

Just now, Drak3 said:

You really didn't. You just made an unsubstantiated claim. One that I have never seen repeated anywhere else.

Sorry, you must have missed some of my posts. You can go back and read them if that helps clear things up for you. Now this conversation makes sense to me, thank you for clearing that up. :)

-KuJoe

2 minutes ago, KuJoe said:

you must have missed some of my posts.

No, I haven't. Nothing but the unsubstantiated claim and trying to tie unrelated concepts to said claim.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

Just now, Drak3 said:

No, I haven't. Nothing but the unsubstantiated claim and trying to tie unrelated concepts to said claim.

Ummm... my "claims" about release cycles and support schedules are extremely easy to lookup (I know because I made sure to look them up before I posted anything to make sure they were still accurate, I was pleasantly surprised to see Linux Mint abandon the 2 release per year schedule last year). Also the fact that Debian and CentOS are feature locked is no secret to the industry, which is why they are so popular as server distros. I think that about sums it up, at this point I'm 98% sure you're just trolling me in which case well played sir. ;)

-KuJoe

1 minute ago, KuJoe said:

my "claims" about release cycles and support schedules are extremely easy to lookup

Great, except both of those are totally irrelevant to the question of stability.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

Just now, Drak3 said:

Great, except both of those are totally irrelevant to the question of stability.

Time machines FTW! ?

-KuJoe

2 hours ago, mynameisjuan said:

I mean many ultrabooks are getting better build quality ratings then the mac books so we can toss that point right out. 

Also, yeah installing is easy. Thats not the problem, its the completely random shit or configuration needed per device to get things like the mouse, wireless, trackpad or speakers to work correctly. If you really used linux you would actually know.

I'm not making points of an argument I'm making statements. I'm not trying to make this a Mac vs PC thing I'm saying it's not too bad of a deal for someone who wants a solid ultrabook for taking notes and playing the old game. They aren't even that expensive. I'm saying Windows 10 is not the only easy to use and compatible OS on the block anymore, and MacOS and Linux are just as easy to reach for - and market stats for MacOS proves people are leaning towards that way. You might not like MacOS and thats you. Don't forget you and I aren't the only people in the world. Stats decide what people are going to - and MacOS is growing rapidly, that also means they are buying MacBooks instead of the alternatives. 

It's literally plug and play with ubuntu and linux mint. I'm not telling them to go install arch. Don't tell me what I use and what I don't use, you don't know, just as I don't know what you use. 

1 hour ago, Drak3 said:

Windows  there's always a definite cause

Mmm.... Nope. In all cases where it's happened to me the hardware was fine and the OS showed no warning signs. The computer would be fine, but wouldn't boot after a restart. I also hadn't even installed any applications, drivers, updates or anything before it happened. Oh, and speaking of updates, let's also not forget the Windows update bricking which definitely happens, and it's happened to me twice (which I didn't even count in my last post).

Again, not saying Windows shitting the bed is a super common thing or that Linux is perfect, but just that it does happen and there's no sense in denial.

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

3 hours ago, RorzNZ said:

Why do you make these statements without using MacOS? Theres pretty little that you can't do on MacOS compared to windows. The only thing I'd ever need Windows for is just to use apps that can't be run natively and need performance. Same goes for Linux. Theres actually very little need for Windows now that Steam has brought their implementation of WINE in - especially with the large premium you have to pay for Windows.

You can't bring up price when you are talking about MacOS because the barrier for enter is much higher for MacOS. Also I have used MacOS because I have had family members with Macs growing up and currently. It has always been an operating system that is like an overprotective parent. 

2 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

*Laughs in Linux Mint 19*

@MEC-777 Feeling better about running Linux on laptop everyday cos Windows stability is a joke at this point :D.

You know it! ;) 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

5 minutes ago, imreloadin said:

Wow this went from being an informative piece of tech news about an issue to full on dumpster fire of "my OS is better than X" really quick...

It always will with these threads, because either:

A: People who like the OS in question will point their finger at problems other OSes have in attempt to damage control, or

B: People who don't like the OS in question will take it as an opportunity to flex.

Then arguments happen. This happens every single time, and more likely than not, it's about Windows 10.

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

9 minutes ago, 2Buck said:

This happens every single time, and more likely than not, it's about Windows 10.

Easy solution: Block Windows 10 users whenever they try to access the forum.

?

8 minutes ago, Captain Chaos said:

?

Jeez, this forum would be pretty deserted with just just a handful of people posting.?

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

14 minutes ago, Captain Chaos said:

?

How? lol. 

1 hour ago, imreloadin said:

Wow this went from being an informative piece of tech news about an issue to full on dumpster fire of "my OS is better than X" really quick...

Welcome to the Linus Tech Tips Community Forum ?

5 minutes ago, ZacoAttaco said:

Welcome to the Linus Tech Tips Community Forum ?

Hey, at least it's not the Youtube comments section. :D

I was forced to reinstall windows 10 yesterday after an Asus update killed my USB drivers.

Funny enough system restore failed and my USB devices worked in recovery but there is no windows boot option to use windows stock USB drivers.

After reinstalling I was unable to activate windows as well.

Looks to be fixed today.

CPU | AMD Ryzen 7 7700X | GPU | ASUS TUF RTX3080 | PSU | Corsair RM850i | RAM 2x16GB X5 6000Mhz CL32 MOTHERBOARD | Asus TUF Gaming X670E-PLUS WIFI | 
STORAGE 
| 2x Samsung Evo 970 256GB NVME  | COOLING 
| Hard Line Custom Loop O11XL Dynamic + EK Distro + EK Velocity  | MONITOR | Samsung G9 Neo

8 hours ago, Sauron said:

...which is just as vulnerable to this sort of thing...

Activation server bugs in particular don't really care what you're using, if you have a license tied to a microsoft account you're liable to be hit by something like this. It's just chance that 10 was affected.

At least, that's my speculation - I don't think windows regularly calls home to check if the key is valid unless you tied it to a microsoft account, but I could be wrong. Maybe @GoodBytes can offer some insight? Either way, ms account or not this is most likely not a problem with W10 itself but rather with the entire key activation method used by MS.

interesting. i didn't know that. 

She/Her

7 hours ago, Jito463 said:

it ties the activation to the motherboard

So when I upgrade my motherboard, poof windows key gone? does this also happen if the key is linked to an account? 

I make intelligent lights do cool things

i only just remembered this, but for people with dual-cpu systems, if it downgrades to home you lose half of your cpu power, because Windows 10 home can only use 1 cpu... 

has that happened to anyone yet?

She/Her