Windows 10 Pro Licenses Are Being Downgraded To Home

12 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

6 windows PCs that havent had a single issue in 3 years now on windows 10.

Weekly on my Mint and debian boxes. 

Totally the opposite for me.

1 Windows PC has more issues than my Linux laptop.

And when I was running Windows on the laptop now running linux, it was having issues.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

3 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

And when I was running Windows on the laptop now running linux, it was having issues.

Linux is the only OS family I've used where the OS breaks itself without user interaction and randomly breaks, regardless of distro, with the only exception being Android.

I've never had that happen to a Windows or Unix OS.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

11 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

There are times where linux can be stable but while it doe work across a multitude of hardware, it doesnt work WELL on all of it. Most the time security updates cause dumb problems or kernal updates break everything. Or the most common, GUIs just crashing because they feel like it. 

I do still have a linux mint box running weekly updates that has like 3 years up time right now. But getting linux to work half way decent on my matebook x pro is a god damn nightmare. 

Windows just works on tons of hardware with 1 or 2 updates a years causing problems for a group of people. I have never had any issue with windows in 7,8,8.1 or 10. Biggest issue I have with windows is the stupid fucking search. 

2 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Linux is the only OS family I've used where the OS breaks itself without user interaction and randomly breaks, regardless of distro

List the distros you've used, because it doesn't sound like you're using the right ones. Find something with LTS in the name. ;)

-KuJoe

Just now, KuJoe said:

List the distros you've used, because it doesn't sound like you're using the right ones. Find something with LTS in the name. ;)

Ubuntu

• 12.04 LTS
  • 16.04 LTS

Mint

Fedora 28

SteamOS

Backtrack 5

Xubuntu

• 12.04 LTS

Kubuntu 12.04

Lubuntu 12.04

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

2 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Ubuntu

• 12.04 LTS
  • 16.04 LTS

Mint

Fedora 28

SteamOS

Backtrack 5

Xubuntu

• 12.04 LTS

Kubuntu 12.04

Lubuntu 12.04

Mint 15 is probably the most stable in that bunch. Ubuntu's GUI crashes is you click too fast. 

If you try newer versions Ubuntu 18.04/10 is much better than your experience back then.

I can guarantee there will be 1000+ post of "problem is you are not using Arch"

Just now, mynameisjuan said:

If you try newer versions Ubuntu 18.04/10 is much better than your experience back then.

That's what I've been told about literally every other version of Ubuntu I've used after 12.04.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

41 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

You still can only use 1 socket on Pro iirc.

for more than 1 socket you need Pro for Workstations or Enterprise afaik.

I use pro and have two sockets

⬇ - PC specs down below - ⬇

The Impossibox

CPU: (x2) Xeon X5690 12c/24t (6c/12t per cpu)

Motherboard: EVGA Super Record 2 (SR-2)

RAM: 48Gb (12x4gb) server DDR3 ECC

GPU: MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 6GB

Case: Modded Lian-LI PC-08

Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 500Gb and a 2Tb HDD

PSU: 1000W something or other I forget

Display(s): 24" Acer G246HL

Cooling: (x2) Corsair H100i v2

Keyboard: Corsair Gaming K70 LUX RGB MX Browns

Mouse: Logitech G600

Headphones: Sennheiser HD558

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro

Folding info so I don't lose it: 

WhisperingKnickers

Join us on the x58 page it is awesome!

x58 Fan Page

Just now, Drak3 said:

That's what I've been told about literally every other version of Ubuntu I've used after 12.04.

Well whoever told you that must have been high because it was shit until 18

3 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

Though I always activate it via my MS account as I've got 4x W10/7 Pro keys and I don't know which motherboard/laptop they are connected to.

Actually, you don't even need to worry about that.  Once Windows 10 activates on a particular system, it ties the activation to the motherboard.  So long as you reinstall the same version (Home/Pro) with that motherboard, you don't even need the key and 10 will activate on its own.

1 hour ago, Sauron said:

...which is just as vulnerable to this sort of thing...

Activation server bugs in particular don't really care what you're using, if you have a license tied to a microsoft account you're liable to be hit by something like this. It's just chance that 10 was affected.

At least, that's my speculation - I don't think windows regularly calls home to check if the key is valid unless you tied it to a microsoft account, but I could be wrong. Maybe @GoodBytes can offer some insight? Either way, ms account or not this is most likely not a problem with W10 itself but rather with the entire key activation method used by MS.

It has nothing to do with MS accounts, as one of our computers at work was hit with this bug, and all of ours use strictly local accounts.

2 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

Well whoever told you that must have been high because it was shit until 18

12.04 and 16.04 were the best ones on that list for me. As far as I'm concerned, Ubuntu is hands down one of the best, if not the best, desktop Linux distros geared towards consumers out there.

And I'd still rather run launch day Vista on underpowered hardware.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

12 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Ubuntu

• 12.04 LTS
  • 16.04 LTS

Mint

Fedora 28

SteamOS

Backtrack 5

Xubuntu

• 12.04 LTS

Kubuntu 12.04

Lubuntu 12.04

Yeah... those are all the wrong distros if you want stability (those are good examples of if you want "bleeding edge" and regular updates with new features). Look at CentOS (the base for Fedora) or Debian (the base for Ubuntu) for stability, both are basically feature locked for years so no surprises there.

-KuJoe

32 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Linux is the only OS family I've used where the OS breaks itself without user interaction and randomly breaks, regardless of distro, with the only exception being Android.

The only issue i've had with Linux is the mentioned GUI crashing, but I have had stupid issues in Windows 10 like when that game bar feature was new, even made sure all the settings for it were off as everyone said it still made games stutter and lag. I had to completely re-install Win10 and wait until the next patch.

And stuff going back even to Windows 7 like Nvidia drivers not recognizing a GPU but not sure if that's just Nvidia drivers. Or the recent 1809 update that was deleting files for a lot of people, i didn't have that problem though and I updated to 1809 just before MS pulled the rollout.

27 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Over the years I've had that happen to me more than a few times with Windows installations...

Just off the top of my head, once with Windows 2000, twice with XP and twice with Windows 7.

Not arguing for Linux or Windows here, just saying that that is deeeefinitely a thing that can happen on Windows.

Also, kinda funny how this thread has turned into Windows VS Linux VS Mac OS so quickly. (Happens pretty much every time with these threads.)

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

10 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

I can guarantee there will be 1000+ post of "problem is you are not using Arch"

Arch is the worst example of stability. I used to love Arch until the developers decided to remove critical software I was using in a random update because they didn't use it themselves. Somebody opened a thread about it on the Arch forums and people destroyed them for questioning the developer's choice, it was a dark day for Arch.

-KuJoe

Just now, KuJoe said:

Arch is the worst example of stability. I used to love Arch until the developers decided to remove critical software I was using in a random update because they didn't use it themselves. Somebody opened a thread about it on the Arch forums and people destroyed them for questioning the developer's choice, it was a dark day for Arch.

Fans still preach that its the holy lord of linux. I tried it once and it was not worth the time or effort compared to my debian install. I dont get the hype around it other than eliteism. I havent touched the community since but its sad to see devs running it into the ground.

1 minute ago, KuJoe said:

Debian

I've never been able to get Debian to successfully boot twice.

those are all the wrong distros if you want stability

They really aren't.

2 minutes ago, KuJoe said:

good examples of if you want "bleeding edge" and regular updates with new features

None of those are bleeding edge and they don't get "new" features all that often.

1 minute ago, 2Buck said:

that is deeeefinitely a thing that can happen on Windows

It's also something that seems substantially rarer on Windows (and Unix) than it is on Linux. And Linux seems to do it randomly, whereas at least with Unix and Windows  there's always a definite cause.

All and all, I say and consider Linux to just be an inferior offering all around. The only redeeming qualities it ever had were:

1. Free
  2. Open source

And the second only REALLY matters if you're forking the OS for specific purposes. But with Unix distros like FreeBSD and Darwin being open sourced, now the only redeeming quality is that it's free.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

7 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

They really aren't.

In the Linux world they are. Look at something like Debian or CentOS for examples of stability. Look at how often those OSes on your list get new releases, now compare to Debian and CentOS to see why they are different.

7 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

one of those are bleeding edge and they don't get "new" features all that often.

Fedora, Ubuntu, and Linux Mint (up to the versions you mentioned) release 2 major releases every year... that's basically the definition of bleeding edge. Go look at the support cycle for the OSes you listed, most of them aren't even supported for a year before they are EOL. Again, if you want stability don't use an OS that you can't patch 12 months later.

-KuJoe

Happened last night after I'd been messing around with my new monitor. I'd wanted to change the wallpaper on my monitor when I realized I can't because my copy of Windows 10 Pro has not been activated....I went, "WTF?!" I tried troubleshooting and was informed I needed a 'Home' edition license to activate my 'Home' copy, I went, "WHFF?!"  I hope MS resolves this outrageous glitch soon.....I really wanna change my wallpaper.

Even now, my Win10 OS hasn't been 'activated' yet......maybe I should have gotten Home for all my rigs.

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

37 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

My linux dream wont ever be real.

For me i cant use it at all, i cant use my 240hz DP1.2 monitor + 4K TV hdmi 2.0 on my rx580 and it doesnt work on any distro except linux mint, they must have a custom script or something to detect resolutions and set them up. But mint uses old kernels which are sluggish with new hardware x470/ryzen.

Also the lack of professional software is really bad. Aside from the fact that i hate all file systems ext4/btrfs etc they suck for desktop usage, and the whole linux design behind file systems and drivers in the kernel that have to be recompiled every new kernel version are way too much for me.

Windows 10 LTSB master race, if you want stable windows and no weird updates wrecking havock  in your system.

Got to blame miscrosoft when i changed motherboards/pc i wasnt even able to get my w10 pro license switched, the old key doesnt work, it wasnt locked to some account either, so only MS and god knows how to unlock it, not me, so i moved to LTSB and laugh at all these threads of deleted documents, bsod, black screens and now deactivation and version downgrade LOL.

13 minutes ago, KuJoe said:

n the Linux world they are. Look at something like Debian or CentOS for examples of stability.

You're the only Linux user I've ever seen say this. The rest say the opposite, that Debian and CentOS aren't any better.

14 minutes ago, KuJoe said:

2 major releases every year... that's basically the definition of bleeding edge.

Bleeding edge is pushing NEW features, not new to the platform, not "new" but really just a better version, and those "major" releases are equivalent to mass installing Windows security updates and bug fixes every 6 months instead of when they're ready.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

1 minute ago, Drak3 said:

You're the only Linux user I've ever seen say this. The rest say the opposite, that Debian and CentOS aren't any better.

I doubt you'll ever hear a server admin say to use anything other than Debian or CentOS (unless they're willing to pay for a RHEL license or go the Ubuntu route for a pretty GUI). I guarantee I'd never see 800+ days of uptime on Fedora, Mint, Ubuntu, or Windows.

3 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Bleeding edge is pushing NEW features

Bleeding edge basically means pushing out the latest and greatest version, unlike CentOS and Debian which are feature locked to whatever the major version they shipped with. Regardless if you agree with my terminology, the point still stands that using an OS that gets replaced every 6 months is not what anybody can rationally consider "stable".

-KuJoe

I doubt you'll ever hear a server admin say to use anything other than Debian or CentOS

You'd be wrong on that.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

1 minute ago, Drak3 said:

You'd be wrong on that.

We'll agree to disagree, I feel bad for the server admins you know who don't like uptime. :(

-KuJoe