Windows 10 Pro Licenses Are Being Downgraded To Home

Some users - including myself - are experiencing a phenomenom where Windows 10 Pro license holders are given warnings about being downgraded to Home and being told furthermore to reactivate Windows 10.

Sources:

If you have a valid Windows 10 Pro license, you may be waking up to a puzzling notification asking you to activate your copy of Windows 10. That's because there's a strong chance it may have been accidentally downgraded to Windows 10 Home.

This arised from a Reddit thread after many users reported that their Windows was being deactivated and prompted them to reactivate, and the source apparently comes from a server-side bug from Microsoft's activation system.

The growing number of reports point to a server-side bug with Microsoft’s activation system. According to the users, the reactivation doesn’t seem to work and Microsoft’s bug would downgrade Windows 10 Pro to Home in some cases.

Luckily, Microsoft are already working on a fix, suppressing the panic that this strange oddity of activation has started. Those affected can only wait for a fix to arrive, whether that be through a Windows update or other method.

I myself have seen the "Your Windows key is expiring soon" message box, but my Windows is absolutely fine, and I'm using Windows 10 Pro. Lucky me! I personally feel like this won't last long, and those trying to activate will only need to wait two or three days at max to use Windows 10 in its entirety.

I am still admittedly kind of fearful that my Windows too will deactivate and are afraid of restarting my PC for that reason.

For now, I say do not panic, the activation server is probably just feeling down this week, someone will cheer it up in the coming days.

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

Hmm....well I use Linux..soo....

“Security is always excessive until it’s not enough.”

– Robbie Sinclair, Head of Security, NSW Australia 

“Have you tried turning it off and on again?” - Every Tech Rep Ever

If you need help with your build please tag me.

Main PC:

CPU: Ryzen 3 1300x RAM: 8gb ddr4 2666 MT/s Mobo: ASRock A320M HDD: 1tb WD GPU: Gtx 1050ti 4gb

Spoiler

P.s. if you can tell me what reference my location I will follow you. 

Bonus points if you can tell me the names of the people there. 

I had this exact same thing happen to me on an older Dell desktop I bought for $20 from a local high school this morning. Rebooted it and it went away so I didn't think anything of it xD

how the actual fuck... you cant "upgrade" from home to pro, but you can DOWNGRADE from pro to home? The fuck?

tell ya what, i lose bitlocker because W10P goes W10H (for the lulz), i'm gonna be PISSED!!!

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

Why does it even need to be reconfirmed every time?Have they done that with Win 7 and 8?

FFS. Another MS problem just as I re-install Windows 10, because 1809 finally killed itself.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Just now, MyName13 said:

Why does it even need to be reconfirmed every time?Have they done that with Win 7 and 8?

It shouldn't, i've never even heard of a W10P licence expiring...

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

9 minutes ago, I-r0k said:

Hmm....well I use plebian Windows home..soo....

4 minutes ago, knightslugger said:

how the actual fuck... you cant "upgrade" from home to pro, but you can DOWNGRADE from pro to home? The fuck?

tell ya what, i lose bitlocker because W10P goes W10H (for the lulz), i'm gonna be PISSED!!!

I thought you could upgrade from home to pro. 

5 minutes ago, knightslugger said:

you cant "upgrade" from home to pro

Yes you can. I dont see why you think you cant. 

Just now, Brooksie359 said:

As I understood it, there are several modules that need to be installed at the time of installation that can't happen after the fact.

I suppose you could upgrade... after a nuke and pave.

System specs:

1 minute ago, knightslugger said:

As I understood it, there are several modules that need to be installed at the time of installation that can't happen after the fact.

No?

You can just insert new product key and then it'll download some new files and you'll have Pro.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

1 minute ago, knightslugger said:

I had heard that it was the opposite. Someone was describing it like it was a simple switch that needs to flipped on and you get access to those features. 

Checked both my desktop and laptop. Still on 10 Pro.

What the hell, Microsoft. Why do you let these things happen?

I wish this becomes a feature.

You can upgrade from Home to Pro, but can't downgrade from Pro to Home. Those that want to go back to Home from Pro, is force to do a clean install. With this downgrade bug, users can finally go from Pro back to Home, without the need to reinstall, which saves lots of time.

Also to be clear, this only affects Insiders who upgraded to the latest preview build 18277.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

10 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

You can upgrade from Home to Pro, but can't downgrade from Pro to Home. Those that want to go back to Home from Pro, is force to do a clean install. With this downgrade bug, users can finally go from Pro back to Home, without the need to reinstall, which saves lots of time.

Also to be clear, this only affects Insiders who upgraded to the latest preview build 18277.

It affects people not in the insider program....

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

25 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

No?

You can just insert new product key and then it'll download some new files and you'll have Pro.

Unless its changed you can go up the chain without reinstalling but not down. If you're running Pro and you want Home you have to reinstall (or at least you did upto 8.1 anyway) but as you said, you can upgrade Home to Pro and it just downloads some files.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

16 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

The operating system isn't being downgraded, the license is. The OS is still Pro but for whatever reason MS's activation server is reporting the key as for Home.

I believe its impossible to downgrade Windows although Microsoft also said its impossible to swap from X86 to X64 when XP 64 released and within months hackers proved them to by lying.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

36 minutes ago, knightslugger said:

you cant "upgrade" from home to pro, but you can DOWNGRADE from pro to home?

No, you have it backwards.  You can upgrade from Home to Pro, the article is misleading in that people weren't actually being downgraded, they were just told that their license was for Home edition and they needed to reinstall.

31 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

2 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Unless its changed you can go up the chain without reinstalling but not down. If you're running Pro and you want Home you have to reinstall (or at least you did upto 8.1 anyway) or as you said, you can upgrade Home to Pro and it just downloads some files.

Yep, exactly.  I've done it several times.  I have run into a few occasions where the upgrade wouldn't take properly, but it usually works.

45 minutes ago, I-r0k said:

Man you must be so tired at the end of every day...running around telling all the people who use Windows that you're a Linux user must really take a toll on the body...

Just now, Master Disaster said:

Microsoft also said its impossible to swap from X86 to X64 when XP 64 released and within months hackers proved them to by lying.

Wait, what?  XP Pro x64 was a different code base, built around Server 2003 x64.  I should know, I followed that almost from the start, and was using it full time once RC2 rolled around (didn't even wait for the final launch).  I was also extremely active on the PlanetAMD64 website during that time, and heard nothing of this.