Best internal hard drive for backup?

ndg95
Go to solution Solved by ndg95,

I ended up getting a seagate 4tb ironwolf, had no issues with my 2tb barracuda.

Hi,

I am looking at buying a 4TB internal hard drive to do backups on and I was wondering which of the following would be suitable

Seagate IronWolf NAS 3.5" 4TB ST4000VN008

Seagate 3.5" BarraCuda 4TB (ST4000DM005/ST4000DM004)

WD 3.5" Blue 4TB WD40EZRZ 64M 5400RPM SATA3 HDD

WD 3.5" Red NAS 4TB WD40EFRX 64M SATA3 HDD

I was originally going to go with the Barracuda 4TB but the reviews for that drive aren't that good. The NAS drives look good also (extra years warranty might come in handy) .

Any Suggestions? Thanks in Advance, also apologies if similar topics posted elsewhere.

Go with whichever is cheaper.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

I was thinking about WD Blue but how reliable are they in the long term? I don't mind spending a little more on a drive that will last.

hard drives normally work for about 5 years. I would rather get two cheaper 4tb drives from toshiba, samsung, seagate, wd or hitashi en use raid to redundent it. then one drive can die, and you can still rebuild it

Edited by LukeSavenije
wd

That is a good idea, I was planning on buying a second identical 4tb drive and setting them up in RAID 1 later when I had more money.

16 minutes ago, ndg95 said:

That is a good idea, I was planning on buying a second identical 4tb drive and setting them up in RAID 1 later when I had more money.

it doesn't have to be identical. I use my seagate baracuda (2014) and samsung ecogreen in raid 0. different speeds, different time, different use. but still works fine

Go with the slowest drive possible, you don't need the bandwidth.

Slower drive tends to brake less, i think.

Raid 1 is your best solution for storing backup.

Personally i would just put the drive in a dock, and shut it down after backup.

That way i the drive would not have to be on all the time. Longer lifetime.

Reliability speaking, HGST and Toshiba disk are statistically less prone to breakage.

You can read about it here:

https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-stats-for-2017/

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

11 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

HGST

is the same as Hitachi (edit: company owned by wd and Hitachi even)

and I like the idea of that dock, but there's nothing wrong with getting a high quality 7200 rpm over a crappy 5400 rpm harddrive here. it's allowed to have some speed

1 hour ago, ndg95 said:

I was thinking about WD Blue but how reliable are they in the long term? I don't mind spending a little more on a drive that will last.

WD Blue drives haven't bee realiable for me personally. Toshiba, Samsung, and Seagate drives are your best option IMO.

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

WD Red is what I would go for. So far never had one of those failing. WD Blue is crap so is the Seagate Barracuda. Have heard good things about their Ironwolf though.

imo avoid the wd blue, and 3tb versions of all drives (if you even considered them)

go with any of the others just make sure to spin them down when they are not in use

I ended up getting a seagate 4tb ironwolf, had no issues with my 2tb barracuda.