will an upgrade deactivate win10

L0G1C
Go to solution Solved by Razor Blade,

An offline Windows 10 account license will survive most hardware upgrades just fine. In my experience, linking the license with an online account does not offer more protection.

I am thinking of buying a RTX2070 a new PSU and a 16GB ram kit to upgrade my PC, it is currently on 8GB RAM with a 4GB RX580 and I want to know if this upgrade will deactivate my windows license or would I have to use it unactivated?

No, I think the only component that could possibly deactivate your Windows install is replacing the motherboard since some product keys are linked to the BIOS.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

3 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

No, I think the only component that could possibly deactivate your Windows install is replacing the motherboard since some product keys are linked to the BIOS.

Thanks alot,guess ill find out when i install them ?

no. IF YOU LINKED YOUR LICENCE WITH A MICROSOFT ACCOUNT there should be no issue. if you did not, you need to do that first. 

An offline Windows 10 account license will survive most hardware upgrades just fine. In my experience, linking the license with an online account does not offer more protection.

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

15 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

Bill gets you either way, gosh they guys are $mart!

Yes...yes they are...

In the world of Microsoft, you're the product. Your PC will have an identifier either way. Linking to an online account would offer convenience. You sign on with one login, Onedrive is automatically going to have the files you give it sync across machines, Cortana can be more effective when she wants to really creep on you, all the other services would be synced online...and Microsoft can more easily keep track of everything about you without having to keep pushing updates to re-enable privacy settings you previously turned off...except they still do that...

Not that it matters. I use an offline account because I don't use any of the mentioned services and I do not want my Microsoft services (such as email) automatically syncing to my PC.

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

I had to reactivate it after a motherboard upgrade. It was a free upgrade. In that case you have to provide Windows 10 with a valid key. (In my case it was a Windows 7 key). If it was a purchased version of Windows 10, it should reactivate without having to do anything special. (That's what Microsoft Support told me over the phone.)

3 hours ago, Razor Blade said:

Microsoft

I just about puked. Sorry!

I bought an Office product of theirs as business is business, and I received nothing but the receipt. Throw sand in their but do it with a smile at least. I don't know what would happen if I lost that fucking receipt or the info I had to write down and save was lost. Free money to Billy.