3 GPUs on one mobo

I am planning on building a rig when the new Zen 2 CPUs come out. I currently have 2 GTX 970s and an RX 580. Could I put all three of these cards in a STRIX B350-F GAMING mobo and be able to use a M.2 SSD? I know the PCIe lanes will be limited but that is fine for what I am planning on doing (folding, some rendering, occasional gaming)

I would also like to know how installing a bios for Zen 2 would work on that motherboard.

Thanks!

(to power these cards I will be using a server psu I was using for mining before, system will be running on a 600w psu + 750w server psu)

don't mix power supplies just use one good one , i made that mistake before. 

33 minutes ago, emosun said:

don't mix power supplies just use one good one , i made that mistake before. 

how would that be an issue? I am currently doing it for mining and I have had no issues

2 minutes ago, DatOneLefty said:

how would that be an issue? I am currently doing it for mining and I have had no issues

if you want to then by all means go for it , it's advice no a demand

you can't mix gpu brands. nVidia uses SLI and AMD uses Crossfire. if you were using just the two 970's, check on the support page for the motherboard to see if it supports two way SLI (two cards connected).

Also no one can tell you how to install a bios for zen 2 when zen 2 bios updates don't exist. If they did, I would assume that its like normal, just updating the bios. I'll elaborate a little; when you use an older gen board thats compatible with a newer cpu, you have to stick the older, original supported cpu in the older board so the bios updates and you can get it to recognize the newer cpu.

Example: I buy a x370 mobo and it doesn't recognize my ryzen 2700x, so I stick a ryzen 1700 older gen so the motherboard can update. Once the mobo is updated it'll be able to recognize the newer 2700x and turn on.

if zen 2 has a new socket type then you'll need to buy a new motherboard and you won't have to update. If you do have to update, since you have the older chip you won't have to worry about what I explained above. All you'll have to do is look up how to update a bios for the strix b350-f

last, please don't buy a b350 they're not very good just get a b450 they're better.

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

On 11/8/2018 at 2:08 AM, mxk. said:

you can't mix gpu brands. nVidia uses SLI and AMD uses Crossfire. if you were using just the two 970's, check on the support page for the motherboard to see if it supports two way SLI (two cards connected).

Also no one can tell you how to install a bios for zen 2 when zen 2 bios updates don't exist. If they did, I would assume that its like normal, just updating the bios. I'll elaborate a little; when you use an older gen board thats compatible with a newer cpu, you have to stick the older, original supported cpu in the older board so the bios updates and you can get it to recognize the newer cpu.

Example: I buy a x370 mobo and it doesn't recognize my ryzen 2700x, so I stick a ryzen 1700 older gen so the motherboard can update. Once the mobo is updated it'll be able to recognize the newer 2700x and turn on.

if zen 2 has a new socket type then you'll need to buy a new motherboard and you won't have to update. If you do have to update, since you have the older chip you won't have to worry about what I explained above. All you'll have to do is look up how to update a bios for the strix b350-f

last, please don't buy a b350 they're not very good just get a b450 they're better.

I am not planning on using SLI or Crossfire, but I was wondering if I put the three GPUs into the three slots if the system would give me a PCIe lane error or if it will just limit the lanes of the cards (and what are they limited to)

Also, what should I do about the bios when I dont have any AMD cpus to update with?

Depends on what pci slot is shared with the m.2 and the lanes each would need. I’d imagine 4 lanes per card and what ever the m.2 needs, which I think is still 4. So 16 assuming they can all run independently. 

The manual nornally lays that out, what popularlating each slot would do. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

On 11/9/2018 at 6:43 AM, DatOneLefty said:

I am not planning on using SLI or Crossfire, but I was wondering if I put the three GPUs into the three slots if the system would give me a PCIe lane error or if it will just limit the lanes of the cards (and what are they limited to)

Also, what should I do about the bios when I dont have any AMD cpus to update with?

If you don't have a CPU to update with you can't use the board til you update it. Why are you even buying b350? They're no where near as good as a b450 board. It's easier for you to buy a newer board and actually be able to use it

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

On 11/10/2018 at 12:31 PM, mxk. said:

If you don't have a CPU to update with you can't use the board til you update it. Why are you even buying b350? They're no where near as good as a b450 board. It's easier for you to buy a newer board and actually be able to use it

should I wait till Zen 2 boards get released instead of getting a 350/450?