Should I buy new parts?

mattdmg

Something I've wanted to do for a while now is make my PC more attractive visually

As it is currently, my PC is powerful enough to play everything I want to at 1080p 144hz. 

MOBO: B85M G43 

Case: Fractal Design Core 1300

i7 4790k (Stock)

G1 GTX 1070 (Stock)

16GB 1600mhz 

The first thing I'd like to change out for something better is a full ATX case. I've been using this micro ATX Fractal Core 1300 case for almost 4 years and I'm kind of sick of it. Now, this would have a really simple solution if my motherboard wasn't hideous. Now like my case, the motherboard was also budget so it doesn't support overclocking for my 4790k or DDR3 faster than 1600mhz. Also, the onboard audio is very poor, it's micro ATX, and it's ugly. 

To me, the obvious thing is to buy a used full ATX Z97 motherboard. I'll get better onboard audio, a full ATX board, overclocking support, etc. Is this my best option? I've looked on eBay for some but I'm really disappointed with the pricing on almost all of them.

I've also considered buying a new CPU, MOBO, and RAM just to swap everything out for updated parts. This obviously is way more expensive but after selling the old parts it might not be as bad of a hit. 

I'm just not sure if it's worth it to buy outdated parts from 2014 used off of eBay just for some eye candy which is why I'm leaning towards buying all new parts (especially with the upcoming sales this month). 

2 minutes ago, mattdmg said:

not sure if it's worth it to buy outdated parts from 2014 used off of eBay just for some eye candy

this is something you need to decide. we can't decide if it's worth it to you or not

in my opinion absolutely not worth the time and money, a case goes under the desk and serves the purpose of holding your components and providing airflow.

even if i would get a case for free i would probably not bother swapping it out simply because of the work it requires for very little benefit.

4th gen isnt worth it to upgrade away from, id get a cheap Z97 board like the ASRock anniversary Z97, which is what i have. looks decent, not great, but cheap. visual upgrades are worth it at this point id think, as you have good components already

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

50 minutes ago, mattdmg said:

I've looked on eBay for some but I'm really disappointed with the pricing on almost all of them.

I'm selling a Z97 motherboard, how much is "disappointing?"

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad