Salvaging Parts from Dell Optiplex 7050 SFF for a new gaming PC build

darknezzrises

Hello Everyone! 

Is it a good idea to use the parts of my other work PC (Dell Optiplex 7050 SFF) to upgrade my new Gaming PC? This way I would save a lot of $$$ and because it's Dell you always need to be careful with them. 
I'm planning on only using CPU, RAM & DVD Drive since this Dell Optiplex 7050 have Intel i7-7700 @ 3.60GHz CPU and 16 GB Stock DDR4 RAM

Budget$250 (flexible)

Monitor: Not Required 
Peripherals: Already have keyboard and mouse
Aim: Mainly for gaming 

My Current Build is: 

CPU: Intel i7-7700 @ 3.60GHz Kaby Lake 14nm Technology (From my Dell Optiplex 7050)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo (RR-212E-20PK-R2) ($30.00 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI Pro Series Intel B250 LGA 1151 DDR4 HDMI USB 3.1 ATX Motherboard (B250 PC Mate) ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: 16GB Stock DDR4 RAM  (From my Dell Optiplex 7050)

Optical Drive: HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GU90N (From my Dell Optiplex 7050)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 Mini ITX OC 6GB GDDR5 (Already Own)

Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 550 G2, 80+ GOLD 550W (Already Own)
Storage (SSD): Samsung 860 EVO 250GB 2.5 Inch SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-76E250B/AM) ($74.49 @ Amazon)
Storage (HDD): WD Blue 1TB SATA 6 Gb/s 7200 RPM 64MB Cache 3.5 Inch Desktop Hard Drive (WD10EZEX) (Already Own)

Case: Thermaltake View 22 Tempered Glass SPCC ATX Modular Gaming Mid Tower Computer Case CA-1J3-00M1WN-00 ($50 @ Amazon)
MISC: Rosewill Anti Static ($5.99), Corsair Mountain Bracket SSD ($7.81), Innovation Cooling Graphite Thermal Pad ($9.99)

PC Part Picker is a little incomplete because I'm reusing parts from Dell Optiplex 7050
Total Cost: $230 (Give or take)

Any suggestions or feedback on the provided parts is highly appreciated. 

Instead of spending 10$ on a graphite thermal pad i would recommend investing it directly into the cooler as there probably won't be that big of a difference in cooling performance. Other than that it seems like a pretty solid build, maybe a used gtx 1080 because a 1060 is a little under powered compared to the rest but since you already have one you might as well use it.

Just a heads up, the case you chose does not support an optical drive. Keep in mind your budget is $259 when looking at all the parts you have not bought yet instead of your stated $230.

Here is a list I created for you:

Storage:

I changed the case and the SSD. Not much more for a 970 EVO (which is a LOT faster) so I chose that.

Case:

I will never buy ThermalFAKE products on principal and advise others don't as well. They take existing designs and without any agreements they steal the design and make them in China for cheaper. Hard to pursue legal options for operations in China and businesses in the North American hemisphere get scalped. Feel free to ignore my sentiments since the case is probably fine functionally (besides the fact that it does not have an optical drive and you seem to want one).

I changed the case to a Phanteks P350X which I'd argue is a better case. I prefer the cable management features Phanteks provides and the case style, but those are just opinions. The front panel of the P350X appears to breathe a lot more than the ThermalFAKE case (potentially better thermals... but I have no data on this, just an observation).The P350X has RGB to boot.

To be fair the P350X does not come with a optical drive slot either.

Motherboard:

There are lots of cheaper motherboards you could buy, but I don't know enough about Kaby lake motherboards to make any suggestions. There is an MSI H270 motherboard listed on PCParPicker for cheaper than your listed B250 motherboard though.

Other stuff:

No need for the graphite thermal pad. The Hyper 212 EVO is fine. Already covered earlier but the SSD mounting bracket is completely unnecessary.

CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.7 GHz

GPU: XFX GTS RX580 4GB

Cooling: Corsair h100i

Mobo: Asus z97-A 

RAM: 4x8 GB 1600 MHz Corsair Vengence

PSU: Corsair HX850

Case: NZXT S340 Elite Tempered glass edition

Display: LG 29UM68-P

Keyboard: Roccat Ryos MK FX RGB

Mouse: Logitech g900 Chaos Spectrum

Headphones: Sennheiser HD6XX

@ATFink I checked 970 EVO M.2 and is it really faster than 960 EVO? I mean I can get 960 EVO 500GB one for that price. Oh btw, with both the motherboard I saw that in PCPartPicker it says "The motherboard M.2 slot #1 shares bandwidth with a SATA 6.0 Gb/s port. When the M.2 slot is populated, one SATA 6.0 Gb/s port is disabled."

Also, can you tell me why I shouldn't use graphite thermal pad? what about thermal paste?

36 minutes ago, darknezzrises said:

@ATFink I checked 970 EVO M.2 and is it really faster than 960 EVO? I mean I can get 960 EVO 500GB one for that price. Oh btw, with both the motherboard I saw that in PCPartPicker it says "The motherboard M.2 slot #1 shares bandwidth with a SATA 6.0 Gb/s port. When the M.2 slot is populated, one SATA 6.0 Gb/s port is disabled."

Also, can you tell me why I shouldn't use graphite thermal pad? what about thermal paste?

SSD:

I think you meant to say 860 EVO since that's what is in your parts list, and yes, the 970 EVO is MUCH faster than the 860 EVO. SSD's are so fast already you might or might not notice a difference, but in terms of performance the 970 EVO is significantly faster than the 860 EVO. Refer to this thread for your decision:

Thermal pad:

The Hyper 212 evo comes with pre-applied thermal paste. Getting a $10 pad is unnecessary since the thermal paste that's already pre-applied is fine. Since your 7700 can't overclock the 212 evo shouldn't have any problems keeping the CPU cool. If you really want to spend the extra $10 spend it on a better air cooler instead of the graphite pad. You'd see more benefit that way even though it's very unnecessary.

Again, I suggest just sticking with the 212 evo.

CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.7 GHz

GPU: XFX GTS RX580 4GB

Cooling: Corsair h100i

Mobo: Asus z97-A 

RAM: 4x8 GB 1600 MHz Corsair Vengence

PSU: Corsair HX850

Case: NZXT S340 Elite Tempered glass edition

Display: LG 29UM68-P

Keyboard: Roccat Ryos MK FX RGB

Mouse: Logitech g900 Chaos Spectrum

Headphones: Sennheiser HD6XX