Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

system power on Thermaltake Smart 730 SE

giusgius
 Share

Hi

 

I have 

 

Z97-PRO / 1070Ti Gaming 8G / 4790 / 24GB Savage 2400 / Hyper M2 x4 with 970 Evo / Smart SE 730

 

Smart Se is bronze certified and it says that peak output capacity is 830 W... and every other PSU says that Peak output is more then Max output capacity...

 

1. I wonder where does 830W output come from ? does it mean the lost heat ro something? 

    I know that if PSU is i.e 730 W , the actual power will be less for the system, less then 730 right but what is peak output then? or how 830?

 

2. does this 730 SE PSU is enough for my system? can I OC (BCLK)

 

I had 750 W GOlD and I could OC RAM and get more OC now on 730 SE PSU I can't do the same OC...

 

Thanks

 

asdddx.PNG

Laptop: Sony Vaio E17 i7-3632QM // HD 7650M 

Monitor: Asus Designo MX239H // TX-58DXR800 4K

Storage: SanDisk Extreme PRO, WD Black 500GB

Sound: Asus Xonar U7 MKII // Logitech Z906 5.1 THX

Camera: Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX99 // Sony SF-64UZ

MP3: Sony Walkman NWZ-B183F // Sony XBA-H1 

Mobile: Sony Xperia Z5 James Bond "Spectre" Edition

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, giusgius said:

1. I wonder where does 830W output come from ? does it mean the lost heat ro something? 

Peak output capacity is how much power the PSU can supply for a very short amount of time, usually 60 seconds. So you can't draw 830W from it continuously, but it allows for short peaks up to 830W.

 

18 minutes ago, giusgius said:

  I know that if PSU is i.e 730 W , the actual power will be less for the system, less then 730 right but what is peak output then?

I don't know what you mean in the first part of the sentence. If the PSU is rated for continuous power at 730W, then it can provide 730W for the system, continuously.

Peak output is the 830W number explained above.

 

 

Getting this Thermaltake Smart SE 730W was a big mistake. It cannot hold stable voltages and cannot handle high transient loads generated by expensive graphics cards like GTX1070Ti. It's very inappropriate for your system and you should replace it with a good 450W unit - one with DC-DC converters for voltage stability and one that won't turn off from tripping over a high voltage drop from the fast graphics card.

Your problems with overclocking are probably caused by low quality and instability of this PSU.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, OrionFOTL said:

Peak output capacity is how much power the PSU can supply for a very short amount of time, usually 60 seconds. So you can't draw 830W from it continuously, but it allows for short peaks up to 830W.

Does it have any purpose or it is just as it is from the factory? 

 

9 minutes ago, OrionFOTL said:

I don't know what you mean in the first part of the sentence

I mean that as I know PSUs rated at certain Wattage, they actually provide less Watts, i.e 730 SE = 700 W REAL POWER, or kinda like this... I'm not sure.

 

11 minutes ago, OrionFOTL said:

Getting this Thermaltake Smart SE 730W was a big mistake.

I'm going to buy Thermaltake Toughpower Grand RGB 750W 80+ Gold on Black Friday, this will be good right, good quality I think? Thanks for help !

Laptop: Sony Vaio E17 i7-3632QM // HD 7650M 

Monitor: Asus Designo MX239H // TX-58DXR800 4K

Storage: SanDisk Extreme PRO, WD Black 500GB

Sound: Asus Xonar U7 MKII // Logitech Z906 5.1 THX

Camera: Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX99 // Sony SF-64UZ

MP3: Sony Walkman NWZ-B183F // Sony XBA-H1 

Mobile: Sony Xperia Z5 James Bond "Spectre" Edition

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, giusgius said:

Does it have any purpose or it is just as it is from the factory? 

The purpose is like I said, to allow for short peaks over the maximum continuous power output.

 

9 minutes ago, giusgius said:

I mean that as I know PSUs rated at certain Wattage, they actually provide less Watts, i.e 730 SE = 700 W REAL POWER, or kinda like this... I'm not sure.

No, that's not true. If a PSU is rated for X continuous watts, then it can provide X watts to the system. Words have meaning. ?

Of course brands which make PSUs for $10 will lie about how much power their units can actually provide.

 

In addition to this limit, every PSU also has a limit to how much power it can output from a particular voltage. You may have a PSU that is rated for 750W total power continuously, but its main 12V rail may be limited to 650W. The 12V voltage is used by most components in a computer, including the processor and graphics card.

 

9 minutes ago, giusgius said:

I'm going to buy Thermaltake Toughpower Grand RGB 750W 80+ Gold on Black Friday, this will be good right, good quality I think? Thanks for help !

Nope, that's a waste of your money since your entire PC consumes about 220-250W under heavy load. If it costs like $50, then it's a better choice.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×