Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Need Cherry MX Silent Red advice

ChestyTech

Go to solution Solved by geo3,
17 minutes ago, ChestyTech said:

okay, well I found this Filco at $169 https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=3900 ,is it really worth the extra $, I am not a keyboard elitist, I just want a quality quiet keyboard to last me years. Also, do you have either?

No. I'm exclusively using customs now. However people in the enthusiast community regard Filco as some of the best off the shelf keyboards. Ducky too. Coolermaster keyboards are basically rebranded Filcos so you might want to check them out as well.  However if you're not that particular I'd lean towards the Ducky.

I currently have the Razer BlackWidow Chroma, I have had it for 4 years now and I love it except for one thing... it's too loud! I need a quieter keyboard so I can game/type papers at night without feeling bad for my roommates or while my girlfriend is over trying to study.  My friend has a Corsair Strafe mk2 with the silent red and he loves it, I have played on it and I like the quietness of it.  I have searched around and found a few keyboards that I like but I'm not sure which is the best (this is where you guys come in)

1) The Ducky $135 - https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=4283

2) The MK Night Typist $114 - https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=4295

3) Corsair Strafe Mk2 $120 - https://www.amazon.com/CORSAIR-Strafe-Mechanical-Gaming-Keyboard/dp/B07D5TNTPC

Does anyone have experience with these and have any feedback on them? Or if there is another option that I am not considering that you would suggest (if so, I prefer a full keyboard with numpad and either plain white backlit or rgb - just not the only blue or only red types)

My keyboard has Reds in it, and I put some Rubber O Rings to dampen out the bottom out sound and it does make a huge difference. I would recommend doing this if you want to get as quiet as you can. If not, the quietest you can get is the Cherry MX Silents that is exclusive to Corsair Strafe keyboard. These are extremely quiet and feel really good in my opinion. I have one of those as well. I would still be using it but needed a TKL instead of a normal full keyboard for space purposes. 

PSU Tier List Thread | Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX | Corsair HX850 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

1 minute ago, geo3 said:

No they aren't. This is flat out incorrect.

They use to be, if thats changed then its changed, but when they launched, they were exclusive to Corsair. 

PSU Tier List Thread | Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX | Corsair HX850 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

9 minutes ago, geo3 said:

Of the 3 the the Ducky is the highest quality. You could also consider the Filco Majestouch 2, although it's a bit more expensive than these.

okay, well I found this Filco at $169 https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=3900 ,is it really worth the extra $, I am not a keyboard elitist, I just want a quality quiet keyboard to last me years. Also, do you have either?

17 minutes ago, ChestyTech said:

No. I'm exclusively using customs now. However people in the enthusiast community regard Filco as some of the best off the shelf keyboards. Ducky too. Coolermaster keyboards are basically rebranded Filcos so you might want to check them out as well.  However if you're not that particular I'd lean towards the Ducky.

28 minutes ago, geo3 said:

No they aren't. This is flat out incorrect.

What else uses them? Given they were developed partly by Corsair I'd be surprised to see them elsewhere.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

6 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

What else uses them? Given they were developed partly by Corsair I'd be surprised to see them elsewhere.

I can't find the article again but apparently as of late last year/early this year they are no longer exclusive. All the keyboards linked so far have them and only one is a Corsair

11 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

2 minutes ago, ChestyTech said:

I can't find the article again but apparently as of late last year/early this year they are no longer exclusive. All the keyboards linked so far have them and only one is a Corsair

Article in question: https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/cherry-americas-cherry-mx-silent-switches-all-mechanical-keyboard-makers/

22 minutes ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

Interesting. Maybe they had some sort of time limited agreement with Corsair.

18 minutes ago, ChestyTech said:

Not the exact one but gets the proves the point that they are no longer exclusive. Thanks!

If you want something a little quieter, Razer yellow switches are serving me well. I originally got the Cherry MX Red Silent ones because of that but they make a scraping noise that I hated.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440