Choppy OBS Streaming (Suggestions Required)

Hey Folks,

I run a Casual Gaming Channel on YouTube and would like to start Streaming on Twitch and Mixer using Restream. I have recently upgraded my GPU from GTX 960 2GB to RTX 2080 FE. I use OBS to stream on YouTube in 720p60fps with NVENC and 3000 Bitrate. My Internet connection is 40 Mbps with 38 down and 12 up.

Problem is I've started seeing considerable frame drops and occasionally long loading times (to sometimes freezes) when using the same settings with my RTX Card. I even cranked up the Bitrate from 3000 to 6000 but it didn't do much good rather made the performance more terrible. For now I only tested this on Shadow of the Tomb Raider. The Stream remained smooth on the Game's loading and menu screen but started dropping frame as soon as I ran in-game benchmark.

What could be causing this problem ? I'm running the latest version of OBS with output scaled down from 1080p to 720p.

I would say that my CPU in particular DOES Bottleneck my GPU performance most noticably in games like Black Ops 4 Blackout (Getting 60-70 fps with all settings either on low or ultra). Can this be the case ?

Here's my Rig -

Intel Core i5 6600 (Non K)(3.3 GHz)
Gigabyte H170-Gaming 3
Nvidia RTX 2080 Founder's Edition
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 (2400 MHz)
Seasonic M-12 Evo 620W PSU
Samsung Curved Gaming Monitor 1080p 144Hz

8 minutes ago, MoNeY2TechTips said:

I would say that my CPU in particular DOES Bottleneck my GPU performance most noticably in games like Black Ops 4 Blackout (Getting 60-70 fps with all settings either on low or ultra). Can this be the case ?

Yes, your CPU is too weak for gaming and streaming at the same time. 

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

1.) In the VIDEO tab, select your OUTPUT resolution, its not recommended to use the RESCALE OUTPUT option on the OUTPUT tab.

2) 3000 bitrate is way too low for 720p60FPS, you need at the very least 5000bitrate for it to look OK but minimum recommended is 6000. 720p30FPS is fine at 3000bitrate.

3.) If you are using NVENC then your CPU doesent matter, all the load is on the GPU.

Try these settings

NVENC H.264

Rate Control = CBR

Bitrate = 6000 (for 720p60) or 3000 )for 720p30)

Preset = High Quality

Profile = High

Level = Auto

Use Two Pass Encoding

B-frames = 2

7 minutes ago, MoNeY2TechTips said:

Hey Folks,

I run a Casual Gaming Channel on YouTube and would like to start Streaming on Twitch and Mixer using Restream. I have recently upgraded my GPU from GTX 960 2GB to RTX 2080 FE. I use OBS to stream on YouTube in 720p60fps with NVENC and 3000 Bitrate. My Internet connection is 40 Mbps with 38 down and 12 up.

Problem is I've started seeing considerable frame drops and occasionally long loading times (to sometimes freezes) when using the same settings with my RTX Card. I even cranked up the Bitrate from 3000 to 6000 but it didn't do much good rather made the performance more terrible. For now I only tested this on Shadow of the Tomb Raider. The Stream remained smooth on the Game's loading and menu screen but started dropping frame as soon as I ran in-game benchmark.

What could be causing this problem ? I'm running the latest version of OBS with output scaled down from 1080p to 720p.

Here's my Rig -

Gigabyte H170-Gaming 3

PM me in 2 hours when I get home from work. 

From the looks of it though, Your CPU is part of the problem, with the other part probably being OBS settings. 

Fine you want the PSU tier list? Have the PSU tier list: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psu-tier-list-40-rev-103/

Stille (Desktop)

Ryzen 9 3900XT@4.5Ghz - Cryorig H7 Ultimate - 16GB Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz- MSI RTX 3080 Ti Ventus 3x OC - SanDisk Plus 480GB - Crucial MX500 500GB - Intel 660P 1TB SSD - (2x) WD Red 2TB - EVGA G3 650w - Corsair 760T

Evoo Gaming 15"
i7-9750H - 16GB DDR4 - GTX 1660Ti - 480GB SSD M.2 - 1TB 2.5" BX500 SSD 

VM + NAS Server (ProxMox 6.3)

1x Xeon E5-2690 v2  - 92GB ECC DDR3 - Quadro 4000 - Dell H310 HBA (Flashed with IT firmware) -500GB Crucial MX500 (Proxmox Host) Kingston 128GB SSD (FreeNAS dev/ID passthrough) - 8x4TB Toshiba N300 HDD

Toys: Ender 3 Pro, Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Quest 2, about half a dozen raspberry Pis (2b to 4), Arduino Uno, Arduino Mega, Arduino nano (x3), Arduino nano pro, Atomic Pi. 

9 minutes ago, MoNeY2TechTips said:

Hey Folks,

Here's my Rig -

Gigabyte H170-Gaming 3

Are you using a dedicated streaming card whether it be internal or external in respective of your system hardware configuration? I believe that the processor and maybe slightly the RAM would benefit your performance, otherwise using a dedicated streaming card if not already would take a lot of load off your system in general and allow the computer's hardware components to focus on gaming only which would result in better performance.

Hope this information post was helpful  ?,

@Boomwebsearch 

17 minutes ago, r2724r16 said:

Yes, your CPU is too weak for gaming and streaming at the same time. 

I am researching on deciding whether to go for i7 8700k or 8700 only. I'm not into Overclocking at all but want to be at least good for 3 Years.

18 minutes ago, WereCat said:

1.) In the VIDEO tab, select your OUTPUT resolution, its not recommended to use the RESCALE OUTPUT option on the OUTPUT tab.

2) 3000 bitrate is way too low for 720p60FPS, you need at the very least 5000bitrate for it to look OK but minimum recommended is 6000. 720p30FPS is fine at 3000bitrate.

3.) If you are using NVENC then your CPU doesent matter, all the load is on the GPU.

Try these settings

NVENC H.264

Rate Control = CBR

Bitrate = 6000 (for 720p60) or 3000 )for 720p30)

Preset = High Quality

Profile = High

Level = Auto

Use Two Pass Encoding

B-frames = 2

My apologies the Video output is where I'm scaling it down from 1080p to 720p. Sorry about that.

I will definitely try these settings to see if they work wonders.

19 minutes ago, Brink2Three said:

PM me in 2 hours when I get home from work. 

From the looks of it though, Your CPU is part of the problem, with the other part probably being OBS settings. 

Please do post on this Thread as I would be actively monitoring it.

4 minutes ago, MoNeY2TechTips said:

I am researching on deciding whether to go for i7 8700k or 8700 only. I'm not into Overclocking at all but want to be at least good for 3 Years.

What about a Ryzen 7 2700 or 2700X?

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

17 minutes ago, Boomwebsearch said:

Are you using a dedicated streaming card whether it be internal or external in respective of your system hardware configuration? I believe that the processor and maybe slightly the RAM would benefit your performance, otherwise using a dedicated streaming card if not already would take a lot of load off your system in general and allow the computer's hardware components to focus on gaming only which would result in better performance.

Honestly that's a grey area for me. I've only heard of Elgato but I have little to no knowledge about Streaming cards because I stream and game from one PC so I always thought I don't need it.

Please explain to me how it works and if it really makes stream quality amazing for viewers. I will buy one to grow my channel but can't splurge lavishly on it. 1080p 60fps is my Target starting 2019.

1 minute ago, r2724r16 said:

I've seen video comparing it with i7 8700k and Intel won by clear margins. Spec wise I see Intel achieving more Clock speeds than Ryzen. So I dropped the idea of exploring Ryzen.

2 hours ago, MoNeY2TechTips said:

Honestly that's a grey area for me. I've only heard of Elgato but I have little to no knowledge about Streaming cards because I stream and game from one PC so I always thought I don't need it.

Please explain to me how it works and if it really makes stream quality amazing for viewers. I will buy one to grow my channel but can't splurge lavishly on it. 1080p 60fps is my Target starting 2019.

Some of the streaming cards are very expensive and are usually on the higher end of the spectrum while lower end units can be found for generally cheaper costs. A streaming card works by taking in the input signal from your monitor and trans-coding it to a different format which it would then send to a recording media such as a flash drive which is attached or a internal hard drive. It is kind of difficult to explain how they work exactly from component to component of the car units and they vary from model to model. Although their general intent is to take the signal from the monitor which you are trying to show your audience and render it more clearly usually than your system would have the ability to do and would shows a better quality of stream which you can be expecting to be around what if you gamed on your system alone which would also mean better quality for the streamer. I agree that it is a good investment to make towards a streamer's channel and think that it will improve the clearness on both sides of the system. Some have image processing algorithms stored on flash based chips and when they are applied to your usage case the stream would look a lot more crisp and clear when being compared to running it off your system. So, in a general summary it takes the signal from your input source and handles the rendering to another stream-able format and takes additional load off of the main system which would result in better frame rate for the streamer and better view quality from the audience so it is a win win situation for you as it is definitely going to improve your performance which you see and the quality of the stream which the viewers view on a media distribution platform such as Twitch. 

I will link some budget friendly options for streaming cards both internal and external ones below the following line.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

link to a internal hardware level streaming card:   https://www.ebay.com/itm/Kworld-V-STREAM-VS-L883D-X-pert-DVD-Maker-PCI-Video-Audio-Capture-Encoder-Card/273058138836?epid=1301546021&hash=item3f93888ad4:g:eW0AAOSwPGpaec2S:rk:2:pf:0&LH_BIN=1

link to a external streaming card which runs takes an HDMI signal and then transforms it to a encoded signal which is sent back to your system through USB 3.0 standard (I would recommend this one as it has generally increased quality and has generally more ease of use and compatibility with third party software such as OBS):   https://www.ebay.com/itm/WIMI-HDMI-Video-Capture-Card-HDMI-to-USB-3-0-Full-HD-Game-Capture-Live-Streaming/263444785010?hash=item3d56886772:g:zRYAAOSwFMdaYG7t:rk:9:pf:0&LH_BIN=1

Hope this information post was helpful  ?,

@Boomwebsearch 

Your cpu is not the problem. As someone mentioned before, using NVENC offloads the transcoding of the video to your gpu and your cpu is perfect for playing games. The issue is most likely your OBS settings.

3 hours ago, bobhays said:

Your cpu is not the problem. As someone mentioned before, using NVENC offloads the transcoding of the video to your gpu and your cpu is perfect for playing games. The issue is most likely your OBS settings.

NVENC DOESN'T offload everything. Just encoding of video, and it will still drop your framerate as it has to store the video in VRAM and use part of the GPU to compress it. 

Fine you want the PSU tier list? Have the PSU tier list: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psu-tier-list-40-rev-103/

Stille (Desktop)

Ryzen 9 3900XT@4.5Ghz - Cryorig H7 Ultimate - 16GB Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz- MSI RTX 3080 Ti Ventus 3x OC - SanDisk Plus 480GB - Crucial MX500 500GB - Intel 660P 1TB SSD - (2x) WD Red 2TB - EVGA G3 650w - Corsair 760T

Evoo Gaming 15"
i7-9750H - 16GB DDR4 - GTX 1660Ti - 480GB SSD M.2 - 1TB 2.5" BX500 SSD 

VM + NAS Server (ProxMox 6.3)

1x Xeon E5-2690 v2  - 92GB ECC DDR3 - Quadro 4000 - Dell H310 HBA (Flashed with IT firmware) -500GB Crucial MX500 (Proxmox Host) Kingston 128GB SSD (FreeNAS dev/ID passthrough) - 8x4TB Toshiba N300 HDD

Toys: Ender 3 Pro, Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Quest 2, about half a dozen raspberry Pis (2b to 4), Arduino Uno, Arduino Mega, Arduino nano (x3), Arduino nano pro, Atomic Pi. 

6 hours ago, r2724r16 said:

Platform jump seems needless as OP can just get CPU instead of CPU AND mobo.

6 hours ago, WereCat said:

Is that based on your experience? Twitch recommendations are lower (with non-partner bitrate limit being 6k or 8k) https://stream.twitch.tv/

It's 3500-5000 for 720p60. 3k is bit over optimal based on my testing on 720p30, I didn't notice any change in quality between 2700kbps and 3000kbps.

To MoNeY2TechTips. At which point are you having issues? Is it the game stuttering, preview being choppy (any dropped frames?) or actual stream or archive being issue? While the middle one will cause last to be bad, last can be bad when preview seems to be fine.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

6 hours ago, Boomwebsearch said:

Some of the streaming cards are very expensive and are usually on the higher end of the spectrum while lower end units can be found for generally cheaper costs. A streaming card works by taking in the input signal from your monitor and trans-coding it to a different format which it would then send to a recording media such as a flash drive which is attached or a internal hard drive. It is kind of difficult to explain how they work exactly from component to component of the car units and they vary from model to model. Although their general intent is to take the signal from the monitor which you are trying to show your audience and render it more clearly usually than your system would have the ability to do and would shows a better quality of stream which you can be expecting to be around what if you gamed on your system alone which would also mean better quality for the streamer. I agree that it is a good investment to make towards a streamer's channel and think that it will improve the clearness on both sides of the system. Some have image processing algorithms stored on flash based chips and when they are applied to your usage case the stream would look a lot more crisp and clear when being compared to running it off your system. So, in a general summary it takes the signal from your input source and handles the rendering to another stream-able format and takes additional load off of the main system which would result in better frame rate for the streamer and better view quality from the audience so it is a win win situation for you as it is definitely going to improve your performance which you see and the quality of the stream which the viewers view on a media distribution platform such as Twitch. 

I will link some budget friendly options for streaming cards both internal and external ones below the following line.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

link to a internal hardware level streaming card:   https://www.ebay.com/itm/Kworld-V-STREAM-VS-L883D-X-pert-DVD-Maker-PCI-Video-Audio-Capture-Encoder-Card/273058138836?epid=1301546021&amp;hash=item3f93888ad4:g:eW0AAOSwPGpaec2S:rk:2:pf:0&amp;LH_BIN=1

link to a external streaming card which runs takes an HDMI signal and then transforms it to a encoded signal which is sent back to your system through USB 3.0 standard (I would recommend this one as it has generally increased quality and has generally more ease of use and compatibility with third party software such as OBS):   https://www.ebay.com/itm/WIMI-HDMI-Video-Capture-Card-HDMI-to-USB-3-0-Full-HD-Game-Capture-Live-Streaming/263444785010?hash=item3d56886772:g:zRYAAOSwFMdaYG7t:rk:9:pf:0&amp;LH_BIN=1

What about Elgato HD Pro ? Does it offer good value for money ?

2 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Platform jump seems needless as OP can just get CPU instead of CPU AND mobo.

Is that based on your experience? Twitch recommendations are lower (with non-partner bitrate limit being 6k or 8k) https://stream.twitch.tv/

It's 3500-5000 for 720p60. 3k is bit over optimal based on my testing on 720p30, I didn't notice any change in quality between 2700kbps and 3000kbps.

To MoNeY2TechTips. At which point are you having issues? Is it the game stuttering, preview being choppy (any dropped frames?) or actual stream or archive being issue? While the middle one will cause last to be bad, last can be bad when preview seems to be fine.

Its the OBS itself which is dropping frames alot and making stuttering videos. The game itself is running smooth to an extent where OBS doesn't cause it to lag or freeze which happen occasionally.

17 minutes ago, MoNeY2TechTips said:

Its the OBS itself which is dropping frames alot and making stuttering videos. The game itself is running smooth to an extent where OBS doesn't cause it to lag or freeze which happen occasionally.

Dropping frames sounds like CPU related. More so if it disappears after you lower bitrate.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

4 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

My preference is to stick to 0,1bpp.

2800 bitrate for 720p30 then, 5600 for 720p60.

Because in games with rapid motion there will be a lot of nasty compression. In games with many static screen elements or not much of a motion lower bitrates would work at 720p but if you want 60FPS then I would definitely not go lower than 4000.

At that point it is better to drop the resolution to get higher quality at lower bitrates.

Considering we are talking about NVENC here, you need much higher bittrates to achieve the same quality as with x264 for the same resolution and FPS.

11 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Dropping frames sounds like CPU related. More so if it disappears after you lower bitrate.

It doesn't actually disappear it just stutters a lot less on a lower bitrate (2500).

I'm completely confused whether upgrading my CPU would solve this or do I need to get a Capture Card too ? I mean I will upgrade my CPU nevertheless to kill that Bottleneck but I fear if I need to buy a Capture Card too then.

Please advise

9 hours ago, WereCat said:

My preference is to stick to 0,1bpp.

2800 bitrate for 720p30 then, 5600 for 720p60.

Because in games with rapid motion there will be a lot of nasty compression. In games with many static screen elements or not much of a motion lower bitrates would work at 720p but if you want 60FPS then I would definitely not go lower than 4000.

At that point it is better to drop the resolution to get higher quality at lower bitrates.

Considering we are talking about NVENC here, you need much higher bittrates to achieve the same quality as with x264 for the same resolution and FPS.

Are you suggesting I should buy a Capture Card ? Cards like Elgato HD 60 Pro do say they have H.264 built-in but reviewers say that it only works when you're recording using their software not OBS.

Wouldn't my upgrade to a better CPU (say like i7 8700k) solve this problem ? I'm too confused please advise if OBS Settings are the real culprits.

23 minutes ago, MoNeY2TechTips said:

Are you suggesting I should buy a Capture Card ? Cards like Elgato HD 60 Pro do say they have H.264 built-in but reviewers say that it only works when you're recording using their software not OBS.

Wouldn't my upgrade to a better CPU (say like i7 8700k) solve this problem ? I'm too confused please advise if OBS Settings are the real culprits.

It works only when you are using their software because reasons....

5 minutes ago, WereCat said:

It works only when you are using their software because reasons....

Yup I saw this Video and that's why

15 hours ago, Brink2Three said:

NVENC DOESN'T offload everything. Just encoding of video, and it will still drop your framerate as it has to store the video in VRAM and use part of the GPU to compress it. 

other than encoding video (the main  task) the only steps left are encoding audio, which takes minimal resources, and uploading the file, which will happen regardless of what encoding method is chosen. It uses a dedicated piece of hardware so it should add minimal gpu usage. Also the 2080 has plenty of vram compared to the 960 he was using previously. 

Now that you mention it, maybe the issue is he's playing at a higher framerate now and the problems would go away if he vsync or capped it to 60fps.

7 minutes ago, bobhays said:

other than encoding video (the main  task) the only steps left are encoding audio, which takes minimal resources, and uploading the file, which will happen regardless of what encoding method is chosen. It uses a dedicated piece of hardware so it should add minimal gpu usage. Also the 2080 has plenty of vram compared to the 960 he was using previously. 

Now that you mention it, maybe the issue is he's playing at a higher framerate now and the problems would go away if he vsync or capped it to 60fps.

Capping my games to 60fps on a 144 Hz Monitor doesn't sound like a good solution brother.