5K goes ULTRAWIDE

James
4 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

but ALL resolutions were marketed as "beautiful HD", and become a problem since many sites didn't list resolutions and you had to search for the laptop M/n manually, many of which had multiple options under the same m/n, especially stuff like dell latitudes and precisions. 

Wow.  Well I don't remember that issue... if a site straight up didn't list resolution in the tech specs page I'd just move on to a competent retailer.  Best Buy traditionally was bad for their spec pages but I don't recall that being an issue even from them (or Future Shop at the time).

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Any word on how it handles Adobe RGB? As a creative I'm keen to find out more about how this monitor handles colour.

28 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Wow.  Well I don't remember that issue... if a site straight up didn't list resolution in the tech specs page I'd just move on to a competent retailer.  Best Buy traditionally was bad for their spec pages but I don't recall that being an issue even from them (or Future Shop at the time).

I recall having trouble finding it in the manufacture's site at times, have to separately look up specs. 

Keep in mind this was 6+ years ago 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Just now, Syntaxvgm said:

I recall having trouble finding it in the manufacture's site at times, have to separately look up specs. 

Keep in mind this was 6+ years ago 

Hm well that's pretty bad :/ That said, yeah I can't say I recall that situation myself but *shrug*

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

31 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Hm well that's pretty bad :/ That said, yeah I can't say I recall that situation myself but *shrug*

I did shop for consumer laptops for a while for a lot of people (since I did repairs or bought for people). Typically stuff like professional, prosumer, and gaming was much easier to find correct info on. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

They should just leave the 2K, 4K, 8K, and 16K monikers to the DCI cinematic standards. Then with TVs they could have stuck with "blank definition," instead of trying to bank roll on a "theatre experience." 

Monitors should stick to x by y and "Graphics Array" naming convention that has been around for forever. 

I'm so glad you referenced the taco shell commercial. I do it so much and no one gets it and I'm all like "...guys... you're all lame."

My Build, v2.1 --- CPU: i7-8700K @ 5.2GHz/1.288v || MoBo: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming || RAM: 4x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 2666 14-14-14-33 || Cooler: Custom Loop || GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black, on water || PSU: EVGA G2 850W || Case: Corsair 450D || SSD: 850 Evo 250GB, Intel 660p 2TB || Storage: WD Blue 2TB || G502 & Glorious PCGR Fully Custom 80% Keyboard || MX34VQ, PG278Q, PB278Q

Audio --- Headphones: Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX || Amp: Schiit Audio Magni 3 || DAC: Schiit Audio Modi 3 || Mic: Blue Yeti

[Under Construction]

My Truck --- 2002 F-350 7.3 Powerstroke || 6-speed

My Car --- 2006 Mustang GT || 5-speed || BBK LTs, O/R X, MBRP Cat-back || BBK Lowering Springs, LCAs || 2007 GT500 wheels w/ 245s/285s

The Experiment --- CPU: i5-3570K @ 4.0 GHz || MoBo: Asus P8Z77-V LK || RAM: 16GB Corsair 1600 4x4 || Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo || GPUs: Asus GTX 750 Ti, || PSU: Corsair TX750M Gold || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || SSD: 840 Pro 128GB || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

R.I.P. Asus X99-A motherboard, April 2016 - October 2018, may you rest in peace. 5820K, if I ever buy you a new board, it'll be a good one.

I wonder if two RTX 2080Ti can drive this monitor to 60fps with RTX on

14 hours ago, Tech_Dreamer said:

linus.JPG.61d8409177d3f9f43b50c6385ffca39a.JPG

Literally meme material.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

I've recommend to people to check this monitor out for a little while now due to it having both ultra wide and 2160p resolution, i was also tempeted at 1st glance to consider it as a replacment for my aging 42" Plasma, alass i still cant bring myself to spend that much money on a display that still uses the flawed LCD display tech., theres no way i can accept any level of backlight bleed, and those non black 'blacks'.

I was looking forward to seeing some good hands on reviews, alass the 1st one i come across is LTT.

No offense guys but LTT display reviews have never been great, more like 'after unboxing' videos rather than full reviews.

I mean, did this video really tell us anything about the monitor that we didnt already know from LG's specs....

I'd very much like to see LTT get more indepth with their Display reviews.  You showed color accuracy and coverage, and white uniformity, but didnt show anything about black uniformity, 5% uniformity, Pixel latency, input latency, viewing angles etc. You could also show us what kind of performance one could expect running at such a high resolution, what FPS could you expect from a 1080ti, or a 2080ti ..or 2 of ether/both.

Let me be clear, i like watching LTT videos, they are 'entertaining' and also sometimes 'informative', but iv never felt that way about your Display videos, apart from your OTT multi monitor contraptions which are rather entertaining to watch, ur 'normal' display 'reviews' are neither imo. Its not that you dont talk about some technical apsects,you do, its that you dont do enough of it, and dont compare the results from one monitor to the next.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

43 minutes ago, SolarNova said:

I've recommend to people to check this monitor out for a little while now due to it having both ultra wide and 2160p resolution, i was also tempeted at 1st glance to consider it as a replacment for my aging 42" Plasma, alass i still cant bring myself to spend that much money on a display that still uses the flawed LCD display tech., theres no way i can accept any level of backlight bleed, and those non black 'blacks'.

I was looking forward to seeing some good hands on reviews, alass the 1st one i come across is LTT.

No offense guys but LTT display reviews have never been great, more like 'after unboxing' videos rather than full reviews.

I mean, did this video really tell us anything about the monitor that we didnt already know from LG's specs....

I'd very much like to see LTT get more indepth with their Display reviews.  You showed color accuracy and coverage, and white uniformity, but didnt show anything about black uniformity, 5% uniformity, Pixel latency, input latency, viewing angles etc. You could also show us what kind of performance one could expect running at such a high resolution, what FPS could you expect from a 1080ti, or a 2080ti ..or 2 of ether/both.

Let me be clear, i like watching LTT videos, they are 'entertaining' and also sometimes 'informative', but iv never felt that way about your Display videos, apart from your OTT multi monitor contraptions which are rather entertaining to watch, ur 'normal' display 'reviews' are neither imo. Its not that you dont talk about some technical apsects,you do, its that you dont do enough of it, and dont compare the results from one monitor to the next.

Yeah, their tests are far from scientific.

rtings does a much better job reviewing displays objectively.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

13 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Yeah, their tests are far from scientific.

rtings does a much better job reviewing displays objectively.

Indeed i would love to see rtings review this monitor, alass so far it only has 1 vote on the 'review next' list, so i dont see it happening any time soon :(

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

• 2 weeks later...

My recollection was that VESA's DP 1.4 standard defined 5K/8btc @ 85HZ.  I expected their certification would require LG implement a controller that could drive the panel at that refresh rate. Can anyone speak to why this display would be limited to a seemingly substandard 60HZ?  

Note: I own this display, but have yet to tether it to a cpu for testing.

SLR-

• 1 month later...

This is a pretty damn awesome monitor. Just watched the review on it. Hopefully we get more like these.

Update:

For those interested, Rtings has done a 'proper' review of this monitor now.

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/lg/34wk95u

TLDR: The bad : Poor Contrast, Terrible Local Dimming, Poor Black Uniformity

It also, while rated as excellent on pixel response, is still a 15ms (100%) panel, u would want around 10ms for a truly excellent IPS panel. Input lag how ever is good at only 9ms.

So i now know i made the right choice steering away form this display, the dark performance of this monitor is truly horrible, i wouldnt be able to stand it.