How to Use GPU (to fullest positional) with Broken PCIE MOBO?

Hello All,

I am new to the LTT Forum but frequently watch all the LMG videos etc. on youtube. I will make use as few words as possible to describe my issue and i'm hoping there are creative solutions, as i currently can't figure out the best.

-I am trying to make a computer for my friend to game on.
-I have an old MOBO that is 6700K compatible (I forget the socket type 1151 maybe?)

-The Board functions perfectly EXCEPT the 1x PCIE-16 slot.

-I use to have a salt lamp on top of my PC - and long and behold in the summer it starts to sweat and it eventually made its way into the PCIE pins and BLAM its Fawked now (tried cleaning and fixing pins too much                    corrosion.

-Is there any other way to salvage this MOBO by using another methodology to hook up a GPU to it? If so, I can build my friend a machine with this board. (also there is no discrete Display I/O on the Mobo)

Any suggestions? 

Thank you. 

2 minutes ago, DigiRev_MAC said:

~Snip~

get a second hand mobo, or just get a newer platform like 1151 v2 or am4

3 minutes ago, DigiRev_MAC said:

depends on the motherboard, if there is one, you can use the 8x slot, or maybe even another 16x slot

If you're formally an engineer, avoid responsibility. That's what senior engineers get paid for.

What's the motheboard model?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Just now, TheThymo said:

depends on the motherboard, if there is one, you can use the 8x slot, or maybe even another 16x slot

Glad to see the volume on this post:

Just to give some more details and answer questions:

-Trying to create a super budget build for my buddy 

-yes we can go out and procure a new 1151 MOBO or better (previously using a 6700K CPU on it) but need $$$ for other components

-Mobo is 3 years old now and not eligible for RMA or anything like that. It came from a DELL tower that was on sale during X-mas. Only reason i bought it is i had a bunch of coupon codes and it came with a 980-ti (when they were hot) for 1K [mind blowing deal at the time]

- Not sure if this is the exact board but this one is very similar (to my recollection) [Just wanted to give some reference to the design]

Just now, TheThymo said:

Would i use some sort of adjunct card to a allow a full sized GPU to function off this port? Can you link me an example? What is the approx. performance loss %? 

Just now, DigiRev_MAC said:

Would i use some sort of adjunct card to a allow a full sized GPU to function off this port? Can you link me an example? What is the approx. performance loss %? 

The performance loss is in the single digits, if it even exists. 8x is fine for graphics.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

You can use the 8x pci-e slot, no gpu right now need more than 8x.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430