Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

First 18 Wheeler Build (Revisited)

Okay, so a while back I started planning for a build inside my 18 wheeler. I own the truck so I can do whatever I want to it and my end goal (since I live in this thing) is to have a gaming rig installed (and preferably hidden, like a sleeper build) into the truck.

My Original Idea

My original idea had me utilizing the top bunk of my bunk bed as a "stage" for this thing since it's not being used anyway and then run cables to the bottom bunk for the monitor, keyboard, mouse ect. After a long time of talking to many people on the discord server, and also talking to hardware manufacturers, I've come to a conclusion that it would not be the best idea to use the top bunk to put this thing.

That's when the gears in my head started turning and I got to thinking

What if, instead of the top bunk, I just build a small gaming rig (like really small) and hide it somewhere in the truck when it's not being used. I started looking at LTT vids on small gaming rigs. 

I've also found a few products that are not your standard PC gaming setups like the one here (https://www.zotac.com/pk/product/mini_pcs/qk7p5000

The only issue with the zotac machine is that 1. It's not as powerful as I'd like it to be and 2. I can't find it to buy anywhere (not even the "Where to buy" link seems to work. 

I've had a few people ask me why I don't go with a laptop and I'll tell you why, I've had a bad experience with laptops. The one I'm currently using is a Dell Inspiron 7000, and it's okay for what it is, but after a while of use, it is slow and get's hot very quickly. I want something with a little more power and the ability to be cleaned easily and upgraded if needed.  For wifi, I'm just going to do what I've been doing now, which is use PDA net on my phone and USB it to the rig for internet (which actually works really well with my galaxy note 9. 

Here's my biggest problem, I've never built a computer before. I'm jumping head first into this but I've found it's the best way for me to learn. Any help would be appreciated. My budget for this whole thing is something around the 4K ballpark. I will be buying parts and stuff throughout 2019 and my resolution will be to have everything built and up and running before the end of the year. This is a big project for me seeing as how I've never done something like this before and builds like these are done too often. 

32831370_1037106489799291_7267614032436133888_n.jpg

34334501_1056765077833432_5131295349490581504_o.jpg

Sounds dope! I'll definitely stick around for the end product.

I would recommend saving up and buying everything at once. There are some new products scheduled for release in 2019, and there's no point in buying something now if you're not gonna use it, and better stuff will be out before you even build your PC. Also, building a PC is like legos. Just... a bit more expensive. And electrically conductive.

My Build, v2.1 --- CPU: i7-8700K @ 5.2GHz/1.288v || MoBo: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming || RAM: 4x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 2666 14-14-14-33 || Cooler: Custom Loop || GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black, on water || PSU: EVGA G2 850W || Case: Corsair 450D || SSD: 850 Evo 250GB, Intel 660p 2TB || Storage: WD Blue 2TB || G502 & Glorious PCGR Fully Custom 80% Keyboard || MX34VQ, PG278Q, PB278Q

Audio --- Headphones: Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX || Amp: Schiit Audio Magni 3 || DAC: Schiit Audio Modi 3 || Mic: Blue Yeti

[Under Construction]

My Truck --- 2002 F-350 7.3 Powerstroke || 6-speed

My Car --- 2006 Mustang GT || 5-speed || BBK LTs, O/R X, MBRP Cat-back || BBK Lowering Springs, LCAs || 2007 GT500 wheels w/ 245s/285s

The Experiment --- CPU: i5-3570K @ 4.0 GHz || MoBo: Asus P8Z77-V LK || RAM: 16GB Corsair 1600 4x4 || Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo || GPUs: Asus GTX 750 Ti, || PSU: Corsair TX750M Gold || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || SSD: 840 Pro 128GB || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

R.I.P. Asus X99-A motherboard, April 2016 - October 2018, may you rest in peace. 5820K, if I ever buy you a new board, it'll be a good one.

I know this sound stupid but do you think you can integrate the computer into your truck's entertainment system? Like completely replacing your radio with the desktop instead.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

a Mini-itx motherboard and a Shielded PCIe extender and you can pretty much hide the build wherever you want and change out components as you go along. i dont have much of an overview of how it looks inside the Truck but this plus an SFX PSU or just a standard ATX one will be plenty. 

you probably want to get blower style cards to keep everything 2 slot or 3 slot size and not hamper airflow much. 

get an AIO 120mm cooler or some low profile aircooler

Just now, williamcll said:

I know this sound stupid but do you think you can integrate the computer into your truck's entertainment system? Like completely replacing your radio with the desktop instead.

Well right now, the stock speakers that come in this truck from the manufacturer are pretty crappy, but I could always run a 3.5mm aux cord to the stereo once I got better speakers and a sub-woofer installed. 

11 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

a Mini-itx motherboard and a Shielded PCIe extender and you can pretty much hide the build wherever you want and change out components as you go along. i dont have much of an overview of how it looks inside the Truck but this plus an SFX PSU or just a standard ATX one will be plenty. 

you probably want to get blower style cards to keep everything 2 slot or 3 slot size and not hamper airflow much. 

get an AIO 120mm cooler or some low profile aircooler

Here are some pics of the inside of the truck for spacial reference. I was thinking I could lay it on it's side and strap it to the top of my fridge to keep it secure when not in use. These were taken after I had a detail job done on the floor so that's why they look shiny and wet. 

43580113_309528353203084_6200998349454180352_n.jpg

43620156_634411533619452_1232050122347511808_n.jpg

43823098_334651370415483_1979784094422138880_n.jpg

IMG_1358.jpg

unnamed (1).jpg

10 minutes ago, Cereal5 said:

Sounds dope! I'll definitely stick around for the end product.

I would recommend saving up and buying everything at once. There are some new products scheduled for release in 2019, and there's no point in buying something now if you're not gonna use it, and better stuff will be out before you even build your PC. Also, building a PC is like legos. Just... a bit more expensive. And electrically conductive.

Thanks, I appreciate the advice. I might just do that instead of buying things one at a time.

Cool idea! I'd watch out for a few things:

1) How will you power it? When the engine is off I don't think your battery would last long powering a high end pc. You could keep the engine running but I imagine that's not always an option, plus it would be distracting while playing.

2) I would avoid a prebuilt machine as they are too expensive for the hardware they offer, even if you could find the zotac one.

3) For a first build I wouldn't recommend a super tiny case as they are annoying to work in.

I've never driven a large truck so I don't know what the cabin is like, but if you travel alone you could carve a space for the pc out of one of the seats.

Here's something you could consider:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i5-8600K 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($259.89 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-L9i 33.8 CFM CPU Cooler  ($39.95 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock - Z370M-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($139.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($144.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung - 970 Evo 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($147.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung - 860 Evo 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($162.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Zotac - GeForce RTX 2080 8 GB Blower Video Card  ($769.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Silverstone - FTZ01S-E Mini ITX Desktop Case  ($126.41 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair - SF 600 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply  ($149.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1942.19
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-11-06 06:35 EST-0500

You can go for an i7 8700k if you want but you'll  be limited by the heat - I recommend getting the i5 and overclocking a bit. Stay away from the 9000 series, they aren't much faster in games and they get really hot. If you want you can go for a 2080ti, but reportedly they've been heat issues as well - if you get one make sure it has a blower style cooler, otherwise it will just pump all its heat in the case, which is too small to handle it. I only put in ssds for storage because continuous vibrations (like the ones you'd get in a truck) can damage hdds.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

What is scaling and how does it work? Asus PB287Q unboxing! Console alternatives :D Watch Netflix with Kodi on Arch Linux Sharing folders over the internet using SSH Beginner's Guide To LTT (by iamdarkyoshi)

Sauron'stm Product Scores:

Spoiler

Just a list of my personal scores for some products, in no particular order, with brief comments. I just got the idea to do them so they aren't many for now :)

Don't take these as complete reviews or final truths - they are just my personal impressions on products I may or may not have used, summed up in a couple of sentences and a rough score. All scores take into account the unit's price and time of release, heavily so, therefore don't expect absolute performance to be reflected here.

-Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - [8/10]

Spoiler

A durable and reliable machine that is relatively lightweight, has all the hardware it needs to never feel sluggish and has a great IPS matte screen. Downsides are mostly due to its age, most notably the screen resolution of 1366x768 and usb 2.0 ports.

-Apple Macbook (2015) - [Garbage -/10]

Spoiler

From my perspective, this product has no redeeming factors given its price and the competition. It is underpowered, overpriced, impractical due to its single port and is made redundant even by Apple's own iPad pro line.

-OnePlus X - [7/10]

Spoiler

A good phone for the price. It does everything I (and most people) need without being sluggish and has no particularly bad flaws. The lack of recent software updates and relatively barebones feature kit (most notably the lack of 5GHz wifi, biometric sensors and backlight for the capacitive buttons) prevent it from being exceptional.

-Microsoft Surface Book 2 - [Garbage - -/10]

Spoiler

Overpriced and rushed, offers nothing notable compared to the competition, doesn't come with an adequate charger despite the premium price. Worse than the Macbook for not even offering the small plus sides of having macOS. Buy a Razer Blade if you want high performance in a (relatively) light package.

-Intel Core i7 2600/k - [9/10]

Spoiler

Quite possibly Intel's best product launch ever. It had all the bleeding edge features of the time, it came with a very significant performance improvement over its predecessor and it had a soldered heatspreader, allowing for efficient cooling and great overclocking. Even the "locked" version could be overclocked through the multiplier within (quite reasonable) limits.

-Apple iPad Pro - [5/10]

Spoiler

A pretty good product, sunk by its price (plus the extra cost of the physical keyboard and the pencil). Buy it if you don't mind the Apple tax and are looking for a very light office machine with an excellent digitizer. Particularly good for rich students. Bad for cheap tinkerers like myself.

I'd say an i5 8400T would be a good CPU. Yes, not as fast, but still has 6 cores, 6 threads, and the 35w TDP will be easily cooled. Then a mini series card could also work, like a 1070 mini from Zotac.

Be sure to keep us updated though!

hi.

Wait a sec, those things come in auto? I didn't know that! Doesn't that like... get boring? I feel like I'd fall asleep if all I did was hold the wheel straight for my legally allotted 11 hours of driving.

My Build, v2.1 --- CPU: i7-8700K @ 5.2GHz/1.288v || MoBo: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming || RAM: 4x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 2666 14-14-14-33 || Cooler: Custom Loop || GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black, on water || PSU: EVGA G2 850W || Case: Corsair 450D || SSD: 850 Evo 250GB, Intel 660p 2TB || Storage: WD Blue 2TB || G502 & Glorious PCGR Fully Custom 80% Keyboard || MX34VQ, PG278Q, PB278Q

Audio --- Headphones: Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX || Amp: Schiit Audio Magni 3 || DAC: Schiit Audio Modi 3 || Mic: Blue Yeti

[Under Construction]

My Truck --- 2002 F-350 7.3 Powerstroke || 6-speed

My Car --- 2006 Mustang GT || 5-speed || BBK LTs, O/R X, MBRP Cat-back || BBK Lowering Springs, LCAs || 2007 GT500 wheels w/ 245s/285s

The Experiment --- CPU: i5-3570K @ 4.0 GHz || MoBo: Asus P8Z77-V LK || RAM: 16GB Corsair 1600 4x4 || Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo || GPUs: Asus GTX 750 Ti, || PSU: Corsair TX750M Gold || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || SSD: 840 Pro 128GB || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

R.I.P. Asus X99-A motherboard, April 2016 - October 2018, may you rest in peace. 5820K, if I ever buy you a new board, it'll be a good one.

5 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Cool idea! I'd watch out for a few things:

1) How will you power it? When the engine is off I don't think your battery would last long powering a high end pc. You could keep the engine running but I imagine that's not always an option, plus it would be distracting while playing.

2) I would avoid a prebuilt machine as they are too expensive for the hardware they offer, even if you could find the zotac one.

3) For a first build I wouldn't recommend a super tiny case as they are annoying to work in.

I've never driven a large truck so I don't know what the cabin is like, but if you travel alone you could carve a space for the pc out of one of the seats.

Here's something you could consider:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i5-8600K 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($259.89 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-L9i 33.8 CFM CPU Cooler  ($39.95 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock - Z370M-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($139.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($144.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung - 970 Evo 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($147.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung - 860 Evo 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($162.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Zotac - GeForce RTX 2080 8 GB Blower Video Card  ($769.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Silverstone - FTZ01S-E Mini ITX Desktop Case  ($126.41 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair - SF 600 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply  ($149.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1942.19
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-11-06 06:35 EST-0500

You can go for an i7 8700k if you want but you'll  be limited by the heat - I recommend getting the i5 and overclocking a bit. Stay away from the 9000 series, they aren't much faster in games and they get really hot. If you want you can go for a 2080ti, but reportedly they've been heat issues as well - if you get one make sure it has a blower style cooler, otherwise it will just pump all its heat in the case, which is too small to handle it. I only put in ssds for storage because continuous vibrations (like the ones you'd get in a truck) can damage hdds.

As far as power goes, I have a diesel powered APU and an 1800 watt inverter so power isn't an issue for me even with the engine turned off. 

I don't want to use the passenger seat as a "stand" for it because there are a lot of issues that would bring as far as DOT (the police) are concerned. I posted pictures in a reply on this thread, so please feel free to check those out of you want a spacial comparison to look at.

As far as the parts list you posted is concerned, PC parts picker did post a compatibility note on that list.  

image.png

1 minute ago, Cereal5 said:

Wait a sec, those things come in auto? I didn't know that! Doesn't that like... get boring? I feel like I'd fall asleep if all I did was hold the wheel straight for my legally allotted 11 hours of driving.

lol yes and no, it's technically called an "Air controlled automated manual transmission" - while it does shift automatically, it's not done like a car's transmission. Driving does get boring at times, but we have our ways of staying awake that doesn't involve taking pills or "stay awake" meds.  

3 minutes ago, FBomb said:

As far as the parts list you posted is concerned, PC parts picker did post a compatibility note on that list.  

image.png

Yes, that's not a problem with the build as is - you just won't be able to use one of the sata ports to add more drives. There are 6 sata ports on the motherboard though so you should have more than enough for your needs even if one is disabled.

The best spot I can see in those pictures is on top of that white cupboard-like thing (a fridge...?). It's not hidden, but you could build some sort of wooden frame on the fridge to cover it (just make sure there is some airflow to the pc while running it).

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

What is scaling and how does it work? Asus PB287Q unboxing! Console alternatives :D Watch Netflix with Kodi on Arch Linux Sharing folders over the internet using SSH Beginner's Guide To LTT (by iamdarkyoshi)

Spoiler

Just a list of my personal scores for some products, in no particular order, with brief comments. I just got the idea to do them so they aren't many for now :)

Don't take these as complete reviews or final truths - they are just my personal impressions on products I may or may not have used, summed up in a couple of sentences and a rough score. All scores take into account the unit's price and time of release, heavily so, therefore don't expect absolute performance to be reflected here.

Spoiler

A durable and reliable machine that is relatively lightweight, has all the hardware it needs to never feel sluggish and has a great IPS matte screen. Downsides are mostly due to its age, most notably the screen resolution of 1366x768 and usb 2.0 ports.

Spoiler

From my perspective, this product has no redeeming factors given its price and the competition. It is underpowered, overpriced, impractical due to its single port and is made redundant even by Apple's own iPad pro line.

-OnePlus X - [7/10]

Spoiler

A good phone for the price. It does everything I (and most people) need without being sluggish and has no particularly bad flaws. The lack of recent software updates and relatively barebones feature kit (most notably the lack of 5GHz wifi, biometric sensors and backlight for the capacitive buttons) prevent it from being exceptional.

Spoiler

Overpriced and rushed, offers nothing notable compared to the competition, doesn't come with an adequate charger despite the premium price. Worse than the Macbook for not even offering the small plus sides of having macOS. Buy a Razer Blade if you want high performance in a (relatively) light package.

Spoiler

Quite possibly Intel's best product launch ever. It had all the bleeding edge features of the time, it came with a very significant performance improvement over its predecessor and it had a soldered heatspreader, allowing for efficient cooling and great overclocking. Even the "locked" version could be overclocked through the multiplier within (quite reasonable) limits.

-Apple iPad Pro - [5/10]

Spoiler

A pretty good product, sunk by its price (plus the extra cost of the physical keyboard and the pencil). Buy it if you don't mind the Apple tax and are looking for a very light office machine with an excellent digitizer. Particularly good for rich students. Bad for cheap tinkerers like myself.

Just now, Sauron said:

Yes, that's not a problem with the build as is - you just won't be able to use one of the sata ports to add more drives. There are 6 sata ports on the motherboard though so you should have more than enough for your needs even if one is disabled.

The best spot I can see in those pictures is on top of that white cupboard-like thing (a fridge...?). It's not hidden, but you could build some sort of wooden frame on the fridge to cover it (just make sure there is some airflow to the pc while running it).

It's a cupboard (currently holding a duffel bag of clothes. It can easily be cleared to store it when not in use. As far as hiding goes, I just don't want it to be visible while I'm outside the truck that way people won't see it and be tempted to break into the truck to get it.  

46 minutes ago, FBomb said:

It's a cupboard (currently holding a duffel bag of clothes. It can easily be cleared to store it when not in use. As far as hiding goes, I just don't want it to be visible while I'm outside the truck that way people won't see it and be tempted to break into the truck to get it.  

Yeah, I figured as much... well, if you can put it in the cupboard the problem is solved, otherwise you could add a smaller cupboard on top of it or something.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

-OnePlus X - [7/10]

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

-Apple iPad Pro - [5/10]

Spoiler

Just now, Sauron said:

Yeah, I figured as much... well, if you can put it in the cupboard the problem is solved, otherwise you could add a smaller cupboard on top of it or something.

Yeah, I'm going to measure out the dimensions of that cupboard and find a good case that will fit into it for storage. Another issue I want to avoid is the graphics card and CPU cooler getting loosened by vibrations as the truck goes down the road. Any ideas on that?

13 minutes ago, FBomb said:

Yeah, I'm going to measure out the dimensions of that cupboard and find a good case that will fit into it for storage. Another issue I want to avoid is the graphics card and CPU cooler getting loosened by vibrations as the truck goes down the road. Any ideas on that?

If the screws are mounter properly it shouldn't be an issue, you could try wrapping it in foam while you're driving to reduce the vibrations.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

-OnePlus X - [7/10]

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

-Apple iPad Pro - [5/10]

Spoiler

Just now, Sauron said:

If the screws are mounter properly it shouldn't be an issue, you could try wrapping it in foam while you're driving to reduce the vibrations.

internally, or externally, or both?

3 hours ago, FBomb said:

internally, or externally, or both?

Externally, if you put it on the inside you'll just block the airflow and cause the whole system to overheat. Don't cover any of the fan grids for the same reason.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

-OnePlus X - [7/10]

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

-Apple iPad Pro - [5/10]

Spoiler

1 hour ago, Sauron said:

Externally, if you put it on the inside you'll just block the airflow and cause the whole system to overheat. Don't cover any of the fan grids for the same reason.

Noted, thanks for the info. I really wish I could pay someone to built this PC for me cause I'm just so busy working and hauling freight.......I haven't had a vacation in 10 years.......

4 hours ago, FBomb said:

Noted, thanks for the info. I really wish I could pay someone to built this PC for me cause I'm just so busy working and hauling freight.......I haven't had a vacation in 10 years.......

Well, there are still a few boutique pc builders around if you value your time more than your money. Puget Systems comes to mind if you're in the US... https://www.pugetsystems.com/echo.php

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

-OnePlus X - [7/10]

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

-Apple iPad Pro - [5/10]

Spoiler

6 hours ago, FBomb said:

There are a number of companies that can assemble the pc for a fee. Some are more flexible than others in terms of part selection.

Would it be reasonable to mount the system unit behind the tv? How much room is underneath the tv?

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.