What do you do for a living???

Tarun10

i had a few jobs, but i find working from home is best for me. i took photoshop/blender work, also do some writings. pay isnt great but im not living in big city, plus i dont have to pay rent so its working for me.

i used to work at a net cafe, an errant at a portal website, graphics guy at local ad company and jack-of-all-trades guy at a small logistics company. all sucks, just at different level, the more you have to dealing with people, the more sucks it gets.

why everybody post the spec of their rig here? i dont! cuz its made of mashed potatoes!

On 11/10/2018 at 3:57 AM, Tarun10 said:

That was useful. I think then Aerospace is definitely for me, a little but of everything. But for end user products is there ultimately a person who guides the whole team and links all the other groups together???

Depends on the company and, to a lesser extent, the product.  Generally, the more money there is in a product, the more people will be involved; partially this is due to complexity, partially due to financial risk.  For aircraft design there is often a committee that is ultimately in charge and the head of that committee could be an engineer, sales, or management.  The qualification for that job is ultimately experience and product knowledge, not education.  Most companies won't appoint a new hire to the position of integrator.

Within the academic world things are often presented in a rosy, ideal way.  Integration will be handled by a systems integrator (possibly a manufacturing engineer), propulsion will be by a mechanical engineer, structures by a structural engineer, etc.  However, the real world simply doesn't work that way.  Job qualifications hold experience as being the single most important factor.  You need a degree to get the job, but the type of degree is secondary.

Example: When I was first came to work with my current employer, the most knowledgeable engineer on staff was a salesman with a business degree.  He had 30 years of industry experience and the top engineer only had 10.  Actual "engineering" had to have an engineer do the work, but all guidance and instruction came from that senior salesman.  Knowing the customer, the product, and the industry is more important for picking a project lead, than a degree.

Big employers know all of this, which is why most job listings will specify a preferred degree or a certain amount of industry experience.  The degree only proves you have the basic tools to start learning how to do the work.  This is where highly specialized degrees can become a hindrance if applied outside their respective fields.  Neural bio-electrical engineers are extremely useful within their field, but their chemistry and electronics training is highly specialized.  Only someone who knows what went into that degree is likely to know how applicable it might be; everyone else will probably assume it's too specialized for anything else.

At the same time, very broad degrees can sometimes be less appealing to an employer because they're so common.  There are thousands of mechanical engineers out there, why should I hire you?  (This is where aerospace sells well, as previously mentioned.)

Wow, that got long.  I'll stop there.

I drive a massive truck in the middle of nowhere to tie ribbons on trees for miles for 12 hours a day. Winter conditions, -40C, no problem. I’m home 4 days in a month. I’m exhausted. 

I don’t even know why I have to work this hard. But it’s what I can get for a job. That’s all I can get for a job. I’m a surveyor. 

6 minutes ago, kokakolia said:

I drive a massive truck in the middle of nowhere to tie ribbons on trees for miles for 12 hours a day. Winter conditions, -40C, no problem. I’m home 4 days in a month. I’m exhausted. 

I don’t even know why I have to work this hard. But it’s what I can get for a job. That’s all I can get for a job. I’m a surveyor. 

Your work is highly appreciated. No sacarsm this time. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

What do I do for a living?

I'm an owner operator professional truck driver. I also am a franchise owner of a Vapor Shark vape shop as well as a partial owner of a commercial fishing boat. Also retired military. 

What did I learn on college?

Nothing.  I went into the Army after high school. 

Do I find my job enjoyable?

Driving a truck. Yep. Very enjoyable. He vape shop?  Very enjoyable. The fishing boat?  Not so much but I don't captain it. 

Current Build

AMD Ryzen 2600

Stock cooler

Asus ROG B450f gaming Mobo

1tb SKHynix m.2

WD 1TB HDD

Asus ROG Strix RX 5700xt

Thermaltake Toughpower 650w DPS RGB 80+Gold

16 Gigs ddr4 3000 gskill ram

Phantek fans

Phanteks P400TG

Laptop

Eluktronics Prometheus XVII

Ryzen 7 5800h

32 gigs ddr4 Corsair ram

Nvidia rtx 3080 max-p

17.3 qhd 165 hrz screen

1tb Samsung m.2

1tb WD black m.2

I sell cat ears on etsy

Really though, I sell costume accessories on etsy and at anime conventions, mostly furry stuff but non-furry stuff too. Been making a living doing it for 3 years now.
I dropped out of college because I hated it, and just started my etsy business by buying some material, borrowing my mom's sewing machine, and worked with a friend to make patterns/designs. It grew from there.

Have an engineering degree in production & management.

Working for a Danish Toy Company, as an Sr. Architect, i develop. it is a bit wierd, but i randomly scurry around, then if i find something i want to work with, i start a project build a project team, and begin building..

normally new manufacturing setups, process optimization etc. Large scale projects (50+ mill to billions). then i hang around the projects, and owns the scope, concepts etc. and ensure that the project is going in the right direction.

8 hours ago, poochyena said:

I sell cat ears on etsy

Really though, I sell costume accessories on etsy and at anime conventions, mostly furry stuff but non-furry stuff too. Been making a living doing it for 3 years now.
I dropped out of college because I hated it, and just started my etsy business by buying some material, borrowing my mom's sewing machine, and worked with a friend to make patterns/designs. It grew from there.

4 hours ago, RasmusDC said:

Have an engineering degree in production & management.

Working for a Danish Toy Company, as an Sr. Architect, i develop. it is a bit wierd, but i randomly scurry around, then if i find something i want to work with, i start a project build a project team, and begin building..

normally new manufacturing setups, process optimization etc. Large scale projects (50+ mill to billions). then i hang around the projects, and owns the scope, concepts etc. and ensure that the project is going in the right direction.

Bothe very interesting jobs, I would do something like that but in India you don't get paid well doing stuff like that and parents, well lets just say they ain't as forward thinking as typical western parents.

From what I see your understanding of how the real world works is vague and still childish, pick something it doesn't need to be your thing, you will understand what you like to do when you've tried several things, most likely you will change your mind over the following 10 years pretty often so if you have financial security don't be scared of trying things. 

About your question

What do I do? - I'm a Front-End developer in a Online Payment Company.

What did I learn in College? - I am currently 4th year in University, if I have to be honest, the only thing I got from it is Calculus.

What have I learn as a professional? - Good problem solving mind is the best thing you can train and apply.

Is the job fun ? - When you finish the project yes, you feel good about yourself, but if you're lazy and don't want to study and try new stuff then you will struggle in any field you would pick.

How much time you work ? - Well officially it's a 8 hours, 5 days type of work it's from 9 to 6 because we have 1 hour lunch break, but I work like 2-4 hours a day and the rest is reading at something or trying stuff out.

City hall hardware-focused I.T. guy, casual system builder.

Project Diesel 5.0: Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming /// CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X  /// CPU Cooler: Scythe Ninja 5 /// GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme RTX 2070 /// RAM: 2x 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V @3200mhz /// Chassis: Lian Li Lancool One Digital (black) /// PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750w /// Storage: Inland Premium 1TB NVME + Toshiba X300 4TB

Peripherals: Mice: Cooler Master MM720 /// Keyboard: Corsair K70 MK2 SE (Cherry Silver), Blitzwolf BW-KB1 (Gateron Reds) /// Monitor: Acer XZ320Q 32' (VA, 1080p @240hz) /// AMP: Topping PA3 (Onkyo Integra A-817XD undergoing restoration) /// DAC: Weiliang SU5 /// Speakers: AAT BSF-100 /// Mike: Alctron CS35U /// Headphones: Blon B8, ISK MDH-9000

Living room: TV: Samsung QLED Q7FN 55' 4k /// Amplifier: Denon AVR-X2400H /// Speakers: DALI Zensor 7 /// Consoles: Sony PS4 Pro 1TB, Sony PS3 500gb /// LD/CD/DVD: Pioneer DVL-909 /// Power Supplies: Upsai ACF-2100T + GR Savage CDR2200EX

Part Time Peer Tutor at Uni. It makes okay money per hour for a Student :P. Other jobs for Students usually make less money.

Hours are a few per week so defo not something I could necessarily live off of for now.

I would like to get into other similar kinds of things but setting my own hours and pay.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

I'm a fetish photographer.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

On 11/10/2018 at 5:55 PM, wasab said:

Tough job. Your work is highly appreciated 

I'll keep that in mind if you ever need CPR. :(

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

Not that anyone cares, but here's mine:

I started out working as a Roads Design Engineer for a Local Authority (Civic/ Regional level Government) while I went to University part-time to get a Bachelour of Science (with Honours) Degree in Civil Engineering. One day I got really bored of spending my entire working day designing car parks, local roads and maybe the occasional small footbridge and wanted a little more variance in my day. 

It was then that I moved to a Contractor as a Site Engineer (later promoted to Site Agent/ Site Manager) and I was very lucky that my employer continued to allow me to go part time to University. I left this job because I was playing wingman/ moral support for a friend at University who was going to an open evening at a Consulting Engineers but didn't want to go alone so I went with him and got talking to the Regional Director for Structures at the event and was offered a job there and then and I accepted it because at the time they were getting extremely prestigious jobs and Civil/ Structural Engineering was at it's pre-2009 financial collapse peak and there were opportunities to be seconded to the American offices and it is my dream to emigrate to the United States. 

However the 2009 financial collapse happened and I was made redundant (unemployed) from the Consulting Engineers after being there for almost two years. I can't really complain though because I got some incredible and condensed experience in that role. As it was during the financial collapse I struggled to find a job in Civil Engineering or Structural Engineering because the job pool was flooded with very highly qualified Engineers but no jobs for them and you had cases where fully Chartered Engineers were applying for Graduate Engineer roles as it meant they would be in a job and happily accepted the massive reduction in wages for that. 

I was unemployed for two months before I couldn't stand being unemployed anymore and took the first job I could find which was with B&M Bargains (a low-cost discount store in the UK) and I hated it. Retail work is truly terrible. I used my spare time to apply to other jobs and by chance in a conversation with one of my ex-lecturers at University I was given the details of my current employer and told they were looking for a Mechanical Engineer, so I bought a copy of "The Mechanical Engineer's Pocketbook" and I was amazed at just how much overlapping skills there is between Civil/Structural and Machanical Engineering. I applied for the job, got an interview and then the job. 

I've been working here now for almost 10 years and been eventually promoted over time to Technical Director where my job now contains very little design element. I oversee and manage a team of Engineers, Technicians and Laboratory Assistants who carry out the technical functions of the company. I really enjoy my job and I have been very lucky that my employer has allowed me over these years to complete Master of Philosophy and Doctor of Philosophy postgraduate Degrees and during that time I have been professionally recognised as first an Incorporated Engineer and then later as a Chartered Engineer.

I have been very fortunate in my working life and I love what I do now.

Motherboard: Gigabyte AORUS Gaming 7 WiFi (X470)  CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X
GPU: MSI RTX 3090 SUPRIM X  RAM: Gigabyte AORUS RGB DDR4 32GB 3733MHz
HDD: 1TB Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe SSD  PSU: Corsair RM850x 80+ Gold
Monitor: Philips 65" OLED 4K UHD w/HDR  Headphones: Bang & Olufsen Beoplay H4
Cooling: 6 x 120mm Corsair LL120  Phone: Apple iPhone 12 Pro Max 256 GB
Mouse: Logitec MK270

26 minutes ago, rmurph17 said:

Not that anyone cares, but here's mine:

I started out working as a Roads Design Engineer for a Local Authority (Civic/ Regional level Government) while I went to University part-time to get a Bachelour of Science (with Honours) Degree in Civil Engineering. One day I got really bored of spending my entire working day designing car parks, local roads and maybe the occasional small footbridge and wanted a little more variance in my day. 

It was then that I moved to a Contractor as a Site Engineer (later promoted to Site Agent/ Site Manager) and I was very lucky that my employer continued to allow me to go part time to University. I left this job because I was playing wingman/ moral support for a friend at University who was going to an open evening at a Consulting Engineers but didn't want to go alone so I went with him and got talking to the Regional Director for Structures at the event and was offered a job there and then and I accepted it because at the time they were getting extremely prestigious jobs and Civil/ Structural Engineering was at it's pre-2009 financial collapse peak and there were opportunities to be seconded to the American offices and it is my dream to emigrate to the United States. 

However the 2009 financial collapse happened and I was made redundant (unemployed) from the Consulting Engineers after being there for almost two years. I can't really complain though because I got some incredible and condensed experience in that role. As it was during the financial collapse I struggled to find a job in Civil Engineering or Structural Engineering because the job pool was flooded with very highly qualified Engineers but no jobs for them and you had cases where fully Chartered Engineers were applying for Graduate Engineer roles as it meant they would be in a job and happily accepted the massive reduction in wages for that. 

I was unemployed for two months before I couldn't stand being unemployed anymore and took the first job I could find which was with B&M Bargains (a low-cost discount store in the UK) and I hated it. Retail work is truly terrible. I used my spare time to apply to other jobs and by chance in a conversation with one of my ex-lecturers at University I was given the details of my current employer and told they were looking for a Mechanical Engineer, so I bought a copy of "The Mechanical Engineer's Pocketbook" and I was amazed at just how much overlapping skills there is between Civil/Structural and Machanical Engineering. I applied for the job, got an interview and then the job. 

I've been working here now for almost 10 years and been eventually promoted over time to Technical Director where my job now contains very little design element. I oversee and manage a team of Engineers, Technicians and Laboratory Assistants who carry out the technical functions of the company. I really enjoy my job and I have been very lucky that my employer has allowed me over these years to complete Master of Philosophy and Doctor of Philosophy postgraduate Degrees and during that time I have been professionally recognised as first an Incorporated Engineer and then later as a Chartered Engineer.

I have been very fortunate in my working life and I love what I do now.

Wow.. just wow, happy for you !

15 minutes ago, voiha said:

Wow.. just wow, happy for you !

Thank you, you too mate.

Motherboard: Gigabyte AORUS Gaming 7 WiFi (X470)  CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X
GPU: MSI RTX 3090 SUPRIM X  RAM: Gigabyte AORUS RGB DDR4 32GB 3733MHz
HDD: 1TB Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe SSD  PSU: Corsair RM850x 80+ Gold
Monitor: Philips 65" OLED 4K UHD w/HDR  Headphones: Bang & Olufsen Beoplay H4
Cooling: 6 x 120mm Corsair LL120  Phone: Apple iPhone 12 Pro Max 256 GB
Mouse: Logitec MK270