File Manager Programs.. what do you use and why??

Looking into using a file manager program and was wondering what you guys use... trusted products/brads or even things to stay clear of.. ect

I have seen a few pages like; top ten file mangers and similar but they all kind of feel like a sales pitch and I wanted real user feedback and recommendations. 

Thanks in advance guys

I use the one built into the OS, always.  In Windows that's Explorer, when I've run Linux that's been most commonly Nautilus, or Konqueror, or sometimes Thunar.  I have never understood what draws people to third party options.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Total Commander

Customizable, 2 panel view, multiple tabs per panel, LOTS of very useful keyboard shortcuts (some same as the ones used in DOS apps like Norton/Volkov Commander or DOS Navigator, search built in, multi rename tool (rename selected files based on some parameters, ftp client for quick transfers, built in packers and unpackers (view archive contents as regular folder) etc etc

if you learn shortcuts you'd be surprised how fast everything becomes when you no longer move hand to mouse (but you can use mouse if you want to)

Windows explorer because I don't like installing unnecessary programs on my computer for stuff that it can already do.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I use the one built into the OS, always.  In Windows that's Explorer, when I've run Linux that's been most commonly Nautilus, or Konqueror, or sometimes Thunar.  I have never understood what draws people to third party options.

Thank you!! I too am not totally sure of the benefits but from what i can tell it's mostly about customisation factor. Also I think unlike windows you can avoid certain errors or problems when doing a large data dump.

I don't see any reason to use some special file-manager, Explorer works just fine. The only thing it isn't very good at is renaming multiple files at once according to a pattern, but that's the only thing I use an external app for.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Just now, Vash. said:

unlike windows you can avoid certain errors or problems when doing a large data dump.

What errors/problems are you talking about?

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

5 minutes ago, mariushm said:

Total Commander

Customizable, 2 panel view, multiple tabs per panel, LOTS of very useful keyboard shortcuts (some same as the ones used in DOS apps like Norton/Volkov Commander or DOS Navigator, search built in, multi rename tool (rename selected files based on some parameters, ftp client for quick transfers, built in packers and unpackers (view archive contents as regular folder) etc etc

if you learn shortcuts you'd be surprised how fast everything becomes when you no longer move hand to mouse (but you can use mouse if you want to)

Hmmm interesting. I'm a big fan of keyboard shortcuts so i can see how this could come in handy.

Would you happen to know if it offers a verification of copied files to make sure the data was 100% perfect copy??

5 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Windows explorer because I don't like installing unnecessary programs on my computer for stuff that it can already do.

Yes, Keep it clean and lean :P I feel the same way but I see 3rd party apps for it and wonder if its something worth looking into. Still very much just sussing it out.

Having said that, if its not broken, don't fix it ?

9 minutes ago, Enderman said:

It's all about efficiency.

Want to quick view contents of a file? Press F3 and ESC when done. Want to edit with Notepad or your favorite editor? press F4

Want to copy a file from one folder to another (whatever is on the other panel)? press F5 and enter.  Want to compress a folder? Press Alt+F5 and enter (or select compressor and press enter)

want to select all files in a folder to do something with them? Press * . Want to select just some files, for example only mp3 files? Press + and then type *.mp3 and hit enter

Want only music by Eminem? Type + and then enter *eminem*.*

Have several tracks in a folder and want to add numbers in front of each file name?  select all by typing * then enter multi rename tool (ctrl+m) and say rename to [C] [N].[E]  where C means counter, N means old name, E means old extension  (and you can use [N2-] for example which means all characters in old name, from the 2nd onwards, skip first character in name)

Want to quickly upload something to your shared hosting or whatever (ftp)?Connect to ftp on second panel then copy file from the other panel as if you'd copy file between folders.

and loads of othe things. Basically instead of messing around with multiple explorer windows and using copy paste and cut and right clicking and dragging wasting time, you can do everything wthout having to lift your fingers off your keyboard

3 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

What errors/problems are you talking about?

I do recall a while back when i did a large copy/paste directory that a couple of files had an issue for some reason and as a result it would stop the entire process rather than skipping the problem and finishing off the process. These can be something as simple as, file in use errors or permission issues.

4 minutes ago, Vash. said:

Hmmm interesting. I'm a big fan of keyboard shortcuts so i can see how this could come in handy.

Would you happen to know if it offers a verification of copied files to make sure the data was 100% perfect copy??

It has built in checksum checking. You can simply double click on .sfv or .md5 files and it checks file integrity for you.

It can also generate those files for you, option is in File menu.

4 minutes ago, Vash. said:

I do recall a while back when i did a large copy/paste directory that a couple of files had an issue for some reason and as a result it would stop the entire process rather than skipping the problem and finishing off the process. These can be something as simple as, file in use errors or permission issues.

In a situation like that, it's always asked me if I want to retry, skip the file/dir or cancel the operation altogether.

1 minute ago, WereCatf said:

In a situation like that, it's always asked me if I want to retry, skip the file/dir or cancel the operation altogether.

Which is great when you are in front of the machine, but when you leave it over night and come back in the morning expecting for it to be done it's like? ?

Btw forgot to say, thanks for your input and suggestions :) 

8 minutes ago, mariushm said:

It has built in checksum checking. You can simply double click on .sfv or .md5 files and it checks file integrity for you.

It can also generate those files for you, option is in File menu.

Ok cool, will need to suss it out more. Do you have any experience with any other file manager apps? What do you think about Directory Opus??

37 minutes ago, mariushm said:

It's all about efficiency.

Want to quick view contents of a file? Press F3 and ESC when done. Want to edit with Notepad or your favorite editor? press F4

Want to copy a file from one folder to another (whatever is on the other panel)? press F5 and enter.  Want to compress a folder? Press Alt+F5 and enter (or select compressor and press enter)

want to select all files in a folder to do something with them? Press * . Want to select just some files, for example only mp3 files? Press + and then type *.mp3 and hit enter

Want only music by Eminem? Type + and then enter *eminem*.*

Have several tracks in a folder and want to add numbers in front of each file name?  select all by typing * then enter multi rename tool (ctrl+m) and say rename to [C] [N].[E]  where C means counter, N means old name, E means old extension  (and you can use [N2-] for example which means all characters in old name, from the 2nd onwards, skip first character in name)

Want to quickly upload something to your shared hosting or whatever (ftp)?Connect to ftp on second panel then copy file from the other panel as if you'd copy file between folders.

and loads of othe things. Basically instead of messing around with multiple explorer windows and using copy paste and cut and right clicking and dragging wasting time, you can do everything wthout having to lift your fingers off your keyboard

Some of that stuff can be done with windows file explorer already, like the searching stuff.

Other than that I don't need any of the stuff you described because I keep everything organized already.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

2 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Exactly. Theyre usually just going to screw things up or be a security risk.

7 hours ago, Vash. said:

Looking into using a file manager program and was wondering what you guys use... trusted products/brads or even things to stay clear of.. ect

I have seen a few pages like; top ten file mangers and similar but they all kind of feel like a sales pitch and I wanted real user feedback and recommendations. 

Thanks in advance guys

Directory Opus Pro - absolutely powerful but expensive. After month of using it, you'll never revert to anything like Explorer or TC.

7 hours ago, Vash. said:

Why a verification of a copy. It throws an exception window on a fail copy. No popup the copy worked. Explorer copy use the Win32Native.CopyFile() method which already handle these.