Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Why are website builders getting more terrible?

iKingRPG

do they sucK?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. do they suck?

• Yes
    • No
    • what the --
    • i dont care

WOuld you want a website where basically the whole thing is animated, and you have to scroll down and all you see are fancy pop ups and animations about your company is all you see? I scroll and I see giant animated text saying " we are passionate" with a check mark. the bottom of the page will have a order now button after 10 minutes of scrolling. I mean do any successful websites look like this?? they dont let you put a bar on top of the screen for navigation, just 4 buttons. to find a "buy now" button you have to scroll and find it. It is just terrible. I mean they arent even mobile sites other wise that would make sense. Imagine if on this website i had to scroll to find a profile button, and to find a post button, and to do anything else. I mean no good websites are like that! go to reddit, amazon, google, linustechtips, newegg, walmart, target, costco, facebook, twitter, and any website that everyone knows about. Anyone else agree?

Why are you going on websites called "buy fresh farts.com"

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Ok.. I gotta start with "I'm old" as a disclaimer. I remember the internet before AOL opened for business. I still mourn "Eternal September"..

That said, "modern" web design has gone totally to crap, even for a fair number of "major" or "successful" websites.

And frankly, I blame the social and economic parasitism that is "Marketing" for most of it. (Although yes, I am very biased there too.)

I hate websites that look like an overblown television commercial. Or some Yuppie Jackoff's PowerPoint presentation. I hate ridiculous amounts of dynamic content. I absolutely *despise* any form of pop-up, for any reason.. web designers should have gotten that garbage out of their system in the 90's, from the utter trainwreck that ensued when people first started figuring out how it was done..

Autoplay video is just as annoying today as embedded website music was ages ago.

What I want in a website is just clean, efficient communication. Because that's what the internet is.. it's a communication medium. I go visit a website, any website, because I want either information, or a product, and the more garbage you make me go through to get to that information or product, the greater your chances of me spouting a lot of profanity and going somewhere else.

I don't buy products or services based off of marketing wankery, because it basically exists to misrepresent something inherently substandard as something actually *good*.

The Internet used to be a cool place. You could just chill, talk to people, and learn things. Like, have intelligent conversations in a public access unmoderated chat.. Mindblowing in the 'net of today.

Now, you need a veritable arsenal of advertising blockers and script blockers just to get anything done. Websites have 2, maybe 3 scripts related to the actual content on them, and another 30 that are just wasting my bandwidth and cpu cycles to try to turn me into a product to sell to parasites who are going to waste more of my resources trying to shove garbage I have no interest in down my throat..

It's all gone to hell, man, it's all gone to hell... *traumatized pleading*

For that fart store example, I guess it's built to suit the taste of odd people? After all only odd people will go to somewhere like that...

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: 1TB HP EX920 PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172), 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

2 hours ago, Enderman said:

Why are you going on websites called "buy fresh farts.com"

because i own it lol

2 hours ago, Druegan said:

Ok.. I gotta start with "I'm old" as a disclaimer. I remember the internet before AOL opened for business. I still mourn "Eternal September"..

That said, "modern" web design has gone totally to crap, even for a fair number of "major" or "successful" websites.

And frankly, I blame the social and economic parasitism that is "Marketing" for most of it. (Although yes, I am very biased there too.)

I hate websites that look like an overblown television commercial. Or some Yuppie Jackoff's PowerPoint presentation. I hate ridiculous amounts of dynamic content. I absolutely *despise* any form of pop-up, for any reason.. web designers should have gotten that garbage out of their system in the 90's, from the utter trainwreck that ensued when people first started figuring out how it was done..

Autoplay video is just as annoying today as embedded website music was ages ago.

What I want in a website is just clean, efficient communication. Because that's what the internet is.. it's a communication medium. I go visit a website, any website, because I want either information, or a product, and the more garbage you make me go through to get to that information or product, the greater your chances of me spouting a lot of profanity and going somewhere else.

I don't buy products or services based off of marketing wankery, because it basically exists to misrepresent something inherently substandard as something actually *good*.

The Internet used to be a cool place. You could just chill, talk to people, and learn things. Like, have intelligent conversations in a public access unmoderated chat.. Mindblowing in the 'net of today.

Now, you need a veritable arsenal of advertising blockers and script blockers just to get anything done. Websites have 2, maybe 3 scripts related to the actual content on them, and another 30 that are just wasting my bandwidth and cpu cycles to try to turn me into a product to sell to parasites who are going to waste more of my resources trying to shove garbage I have no interest in down my throat..

It's all gone to hell, man, it's all gone to hell... *traumatized pleading*

I completely agree. I want something efficient. When I pay $10 a month for a website, I don't want it to be "stunning". Of course it should look good, but it doesn't need to look like it is made with powerpoint animations and have smooth transitions just to scroll in an image. For example this website has everything you need on the front page and has very simple navigation on the top, and works great in mobile and desktop. I'm so glad I found someone who understands.

17 minutes ago, iKingRPG said:

because i own it lol

Why do you own a website called "buy fresh farts.com"

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

4 hours ago, Druegan said:

I remember the internet before AOL opened for business.

I do as well

blocky text & games were non existant

green monitors

printer paper ribbons

why web you ask becuz the biggies are makin it easior then eva brah, click n drag brah.

Some websites is terrible yes, but saying all new sites is terrible is also wrong. There are terrible sites now and there was terrible sites in the past. But in what way the terrible sites is terrible have changed over the years. 

Btw I consider Facebook site terrible too, but it's more of the "older style" terrible and not the "new style" terrible.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

obviously these website builders are not something anyone would use for a successful website in terms of many visitors.

they are meant for the average joe who has no idea how to build a website and for this they offer many good options.

the kind of websites people consider successful are like they are because they have a certain purpose and are build to serve that purpose, the average joes "hey im joe" website has no purpose other than being a website which makes it totally fine to be as it is.

worst is apple. you have to scroll horizontally all the way to even get to the know more option to even get the buy option. 

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

4 hours ago, Mihle said:

Some websites is terrible yes, but saying all new sites is terrible is also wrong. There are terrible sites now and there was terrible sites in the past. But in what way the terrible sites is terrible have changed over the years. 

Btw I consider Facebook site terrible too, but it's more of the "older style" terrible and not the "new style" terrible.

Actually, a good portion of the way websites are terrible today is exactly the same way they were terrible in the past...

"Design" is an art.. and like any other art, there are people who do it well, and people who do it horribly. It doesn't matter what kind of design you're talking about.  But there are certain patterns and tendencies that can be identified. Trends, that sort..   The first is that the "people who do it horribly" will pretty much *always* outnumber the "people who do it well" by at least a few orders of magnitude.

Now, when the 'net was more or less "new".. when "web design" as a discipline was still coming into being.. There was really a ton of experimentation, and not much "knowing what was good and what wasn't". It was much more a time of "What can we actually make this new medium do", rather than "How should we do this to make it work well."  There were some hits, and yes, a lot of misses.

However, as "Trends" go, in the internet of today.. A lot of what we seem to have is major websites being designed by people who don't really have any grounding in the *principles* of design. The methodology of crafting a good, functional, elegant product. They're marketing people, not designers. They're interested in "eye catching", not usability. They care about the metrics a person would use for determining the success of say, a tv commercial... not the metrics one would use for determining the success of a communication tool.

A lot of this is due to new tools lowering the bar for participation. Lowering it so far that yes, any idiot can build a website these days. So much so that many companies, large and small, don't actually hire people who have the skills needed to do the job well, and instead just assume "Well, my kid has a website, how hard can it be? Just have Joe from Marketing do it.".  And Joe from Marketing has ZERO experience in how to make a website work like a website... so he makes it look like a billboard, or a powerpoint presentation, or a tv commercial. And grabs every plug in piece of crap to add needless flash and scrape marketing data possible, and creates an abomination.

Now, in the old days, when things were new.. You could kinda forgive some of the abominations. Because there wasn't 3 decades worth of feedback from users on the stuff that generally *always* annoys them. Today, on the other hand, well... that sorta thing is widely available.. and should be really obvious anyway, as we all use the internet.. for most everything.  The decisions are being made by people who don't understand the medium, or people who just don't *care*, and the result is that we're seeing an explosion of crap.

Facebook is absolutely terrible, yes. Not surprising, because it's a terrible company that has forgotten its "First Four Words" principle that it so highly touts, and in 99% of cases, does the exact *opposite* of it's founding statement.  Because it no longer cares about producing a product that its user base wants, but rather has shifted towards depending on its user inertia to milk those users for every cent it can squeeze out of them.  Much like many other "major" websites as well, really.

@Druegan with "old" I ment more that it's tons of buttons and stuff isn't placed in the same way and one part of the site works differently than another and stuff, like Facebook sort of.

With "new" I ment just tons of animation and especially tons of scrolling and stuff. But whatever.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking