Probably stupid question about CPU tower coolers

Definitely stupid but I have to ask, is it possible to fit a 140mm fan onto a tower cooler that originally came with a 120mm fan?

Specifically A Cryorig H7 Lumi.

Yes if the tower has enough clearance so check the dimensions before u commit.
I had like 1cm clearance according to the case and cooler and this is how I solved my problem :D

IMG-1864.JPG

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

4 minutes ago, Thony said:

I had like 1cm clearance according to the case and cooler and this is how I solved my problem :D

IMG-1864.JPG

Please just slap something over that, I CAN'T bare to look at that :(:(:(

6 minutes ago, DVA said:

Please just slap something over that, I CAN'T bare to look at that :(:(:(

Nope, its cheap plastic. Got the case because of the price. Been running like that for over 18months. All good.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

3 minutes ago, Thony said:

Nope, its cheap plastic. Got the case because of the price. Been running like that for over 18months. All good.

I need to send a message to the board to create a sad react option, just for this side panel :(

hmm that might be an issue then, the cooler is 145mm and the clearance is 5mm extra. 

R I P

ok then another question. Can I attach case fans to the cooler?

Like if I wanted to attach a Noctua 120mm fan to the cooler is that possible with the cryorig brackets?

15 hours ago, Thony said:

IMG-1864.JPG

Still better than MacGyver

My system specs:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K, 5GHz Delidded LM || CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-C14S w/ NF-A15 & NF-A14 Chromax fans in push-pull cofiguration || Motherboard: MSI Z370i Gaming Pro Carbon AC || RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2x8Gb 2666 || GPU: EVGA GTX 1060 6Gb FTW2+ DT || Storage: Samsung 860 Evo M.2 SATA SSD 250Gb, 2x 2.5" HDDs 1Tb & 500Gb || ODD: 9mm Slim DVD RW || PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum || Case: Cougar QBX + 1x Noctua NF-R8 front intake + 2x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC top exhaust + Cougar stock 92mm DC fan rear exhaust || Monitor: ASUS VG248QE || Keyboard: Ducky One 2 Mini Cherry MX Red || Mouse: Logitech G703 || Audio: Corsair HS70 Wireless || Other: XBox One S Controler

My build logs:

16 hours ago, YAKINIKU said:

ok then another question. Can I attach case fans to the cooler?

Like if I wanted to attach a Noctua 120mm fan to the cooler is that possible with the cryorig brackets?

It depends on the cooler. Many cpu coolers use case fans since it's a convenient form factor. The H7QL uses clips which work for any fans with standard 120mm mounting holes. This also includes 140mm fans with rounded frames and 120mm mounting holes like the NF-A15. 

Why do you want to replace the fan?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

20 hours ago, YAKINIKU said:

hmm that might be an issue then, the cooler is 145mm and the clearance is 5mm extra. 

R I P

Do you mean that cooler is 145mm and case has 150mm clearance? Thats more than enough. @Thony's situation is very specific. Like my previous case was supposed to have 3mm clearance, and ended up being close with 1mm to spare. If you are unsure how you measure clearance, or it isn't specified in case specs, you can use Cryorig's "tool" http://www.cryorig.com/depthchecker.php

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

On 11/6/2018 at 10:58 AM, WoodenMarker said:

It depends on the cooler. Many cpu coolers use case fans since it's a convenient form factor. The H7QL uses clips which work for any fans with standard 120mm mounting holes. This also includes 140mm fans with rounded frames and 120mm mounting holes like the NF-A15. 

Why do you want to replace the fan?

I'm replacing the fan for a future refresh of my current build, the QF120 Balance which comes with the cooler is ok at best when moving air through the heat sink, and I wanted something that has higher CFM and static pressure but lower noise level overall.

On 11/6/2018 at 2:21 PM, LoGiCalDrm said:

Do you mean that cooler is 145mm and case has 150mm clearance? Thats more than enough. @Thony's situation is very specific. Like my previous case was supposed to have 3mm clearance, and ended up being close with 1mm to spare. If you are unsure how you measure clearance, or it isn't specified in case specs, you can use Cryorig's "tool" http://www.cryorig.com/depthchecker.php

I have it installed so it's fine, I'm just curious to see if I can mount a larger fan (potentially) on it without changing cases.

19 minutes ago, YAKINIKU said:

I have it installed so it's fine, I'm just curious to see if I can mount a larger fan (potentially) on it without changing cases.

Bigger fan isn't going to improve cooling. The one pushing more fan would. 140mm fan is 20mm bigger per side, so 10mm over the top. That is bit too much, probably even if you can lower it as much as possible.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

On 11/5/2018 at 10:44 AM, Thony said:

turn the heat pipes coming out into teeth of a beast or serpent of some type and draw the beast on the side panel or get it etched in via CNC LOL that would be a epic case mod

2 hours ago, YAKINIKU said:

I'm just curious to see if I can mount a larger fan (potentially) on it without changing cases.

You can but you're better off getting a better cooler if you want more performance. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

On 11/8/2018 at 11:15 AM, WoodenMarker said:

You can but you're better off getting a better cooler if you want more performance. 

It's not totally performance issue, it's just the QF120 Balance LED fan is loud and pushes less air than a Noctua case fan would.

So the theoretical "upgrade" would be a Chromax fan with higher CFM but  lower noise.

I'm still debating on that, and the change would likely be after I swap out my 4 SP120RGB fans with 2/3 140mm Noctua fans  (2 intake 1 exhaust or maybe just 1 intake 1 exhaust?).